Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 108752 times)

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
Re: Star Wars
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »
I'd say watch the originals and then episode 3. Episode 3 is the only one of the prequels I have watched more than once as an adult. I was right in the wheelhouse for episode 1 when it came out so it took awhile for me to realize it only had two good scenes.

Ignatius J Reilly

Star Wars
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2015, 01:36:13 PM »
I'd say watch the originals and then episode 3. Episode 3 is the only one of the prequels I have watched more than once as an adult. I was right in the wheelhouse for episode 1 when it came out so it took awhile for me to realize it only had two good scenes.

Absolutely nothing can save Ep 1, but I'll watch 2 now that I've seen The Clone Wars.  I'll only watch Ep 1 because my kids like it.  They hate Jar Jar, though.  It's mostly pod racing, Darth Maul, and Palpatine's machinations.  That's what the Clone Wars does: it adds to the politics and to the Emperor's scheming and fleshes out Anakin and the clones as more realized characters.

EDIT: I should mention that I hated Episodes 1 and 2 when they first came out.

SPOILER: and it makes the end of Rebels and the trailer for Season 2 even better

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
I know people like Ep. #3 but I found that pretty bad as well. I just can't get over the horrid dialogue.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
The timeline always kind of bothered me. The empire was pretty much in power for only 17 years. That doesn't seem like a long enough time to suppress an entire galaxy and build all those starships etc.
"Wrong!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
I know people like Ep. #3 but I found that pretty bad as well. I just can't get over the horrid dialogue.

The dialogue, the acting, and CGI are so bad in the prequels.

I enjoy parts of Episode I, but mainly I was 11 years old when it came out, so I thought it was amazing at the time.  There's some serious nostalgia that happens when i watch.

I still think the biggest misstep in the prequels was the outcome of the lightsaber battle at the end with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul.  I will not spoil it because IATA is a bundle of sticks and hasn't seen it. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
The timeline always kind of bothered me. The empire was pretty much in power for only 17 years. That doesn't seem like a long enough time to suppress an entire galaxy and build all those starships etc.

Look how much building the US military has done since 2001 or look back at the World Wars.  This is real life.  Star Wars is fantasy.  It's really not that unbelievable.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »

You are wrong.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2015, 02:32:54 PM »
SPOILERS FOR IATA:

Before the Empire existed, there was the Republic.  They are one and the same.  All of the systems which are part of the Empire were already united under the Republic.  So what changed?

- The Republic was a peaceful place and peace was controlled and maintained by the Jedi who supported the Senate which made the laws.
- Someone set in motion the building of a Clone army to support the Republic.  Given that the Republic was a peaceful place when taken as a whole under Jedi authority, this is obviously hidden for decades.
- Darth Sidious (Palpatine) began influencing and controlling the Trade Federation, leading them to separate from the Republic and rebel.
- Palpatine used the trade federation's rebellion to show a vote of no confidence in the current chancellor and take over in a 'surprise' vote.
- The Trade Federation unleashed a massive Droid Army built on Geonosis (where the Death Star was also being secretly built)
- Chancellor Palpatine is given more emergency powers to fight the rebellion which he swears he'll abandon when the war is over
- The Clone Army is unveiled.  For 3 years, they fight alongside and under the command of the Jedis against Dooku and Grievous and the Separatist army.
- Palpatine continues gaining power by playing the two sides against each other.
- Palpatine uses Anakin to kill Dooku, then allows the war to end once he has his new apprentice.
- Palpatine uses Windu's attack to gain full and total control as the new Empire.  The Republic is gone and the Empire rises up in its place.  He has full and total control because the fear of the Clone Wars and the alleged Jedi takeover have created the climate for his rise.

It's no different than Hitler aside from the fact that Palpatine played both sides and that the Republic was a prosperous place before his rise to power.  He used war to gain control and just turned all of the Republic's resources over to the Empire.  It's not difficult to suppress an entire galaxy that joined you willingly.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2015, 02:35:50 PM »
"Yeah but still" - Tommy

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
Cool.
"Wrong!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
Palpatine was a bundle of sticks

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »
What are clone wars and rebels?

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
Nvm. More replies spawned after

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2015, 02:41:12 PM »
I actually rooted for the empire when I was younger. They were pretty badass.
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
I actually rooted for the empire when I was younger. They were pretty badass.

Even though Darth Vader was black?
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!