Author Topic: 2021 MLB Season  (Read 29855 times)

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
Re: 2021 MLB Season
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »
well it dose'nt matter what you think cause he's done.

this concludes the 18 hours where I knew who mather was and that he was also president of the mariners.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 05:42:01 PM »
I'm honestly struggling to see what he said that was too wrong. Obviously I don't know baseball, but service time manipulation is a pretty standard thing elsewhere e.g. a young player being sent down after nine games in the NHL to avoid burning a year of eligibility. It's just a function of how the CBA works, surely?

I don't see any problem with the clips about the neighbourhood or Rodriguez's English. The piece about the Japanese player suddenly speaking better English when he's told that the club won't pay for his translator any more is a bit off colour, and he probably shouldn't be talking out of school about contract negotiations, but they're hardly egregious offenses.
  Keith Olberman.  Prig. 

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1363849469356347398

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »
  Keith Olberman.  Prig. 

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1363849469356347398

Saying that someone doesn't speak very good English isn't racist. I don't speak great French. Someone in Quebec or France observing that in my conversations with them wouldn't be racist either.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
Saying that someone doesn't speak very good English isn't racist. I don't speak great French. Someone in Quebec or France observing that in my conversations with them wouldn't be racist either.

there's nothing wrong with describing how well a person speaks a specific language, but it's kind of weird and fvcked up to bring up a foreign person's language proficiency with a foreign language as literally the first thing you use to describe them when you're asked about them

i'll be honest, i haven't watched the clips so i can't say. if he was having a conversation with that club about how they navigate dealing with ESL players as a baseball organization and then he describes how well they speak the language........fine. but i know you know there's a huge difference if he was randomly asked what he thinks about X player or Y player and the first thing that comes out of his mouth is 'well his english fvcking sucks so yeah, his english is bad'

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 08:15:00 AM »
there's nothing wrong with describing how well a person speaks a specific language, but it's kind of weird and fvcked up to bring up a foreign person's language proficiency with a foreign language as literally the first thing you use to describe them when you're asked about them

i'll be honest, i haven't watched the clips so i can't say. if he was having a conversation with that club about how they navigate dealing with ESL players as a baseball organization and then he describes how well they speak the language........fine. but i know you know there's a huge difference if he was randomly asked what he thinks about X player or Y player and the first thing that comes out of his mouth is 'well his english fvcking sucks so yeah, his english is bad'

"A personality bigger than all of you combined, he is loud, his English is not tremendous ...... a fantastic kid".

Olbermann does no one any service by labelling comments like that racist.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2021, 10:08:41 AM »
"A personality bigger than all of you combined, he is loud, his English is not tremendous ...... a fantastic kid".

Olbermann does no one any service by labelling comments like that racist.
Olbermann is also a huge weirdo when it comes to his own racial issues:

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:11 AM »
I'm honestly struggling to see what he said that was too wrong. Obviously I don't know baseball, but service time manipulation is a pretty standard thing elsewhere e.g. a young player being sent down after nine games in the NHL to avoid burning a year of eligibility. It's just a function of how the CBA works, surely?

I don't see any problem with the clips about the neighbourhood or Rodriguez's English. The piece about the Japanese player suddenly speaking better English when he's told that the club won't pay for his translator any more is a bit off colour, and he probably shouldn't be talking out of school about contract negotiations, but they're hardly egregious offenses.

Very thorough breakdown as to how this guys entire interview was one extended self-own. He’s fired now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBg8_44uDZ0&feature=youtu.be
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 10:18:18 AM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 10:22:58 AM »
About former Mariners pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, who was born in Japan:
“it frustrates me...For instance, we just re-hired Iwakuma, he was a pitcher with us for a number of years. Wonderful human being, his English was terrible. He wanted to get back into the game, he came to us, we quite frankly want him as our Asian scout, interpreter, what’s going on with the Japanese league.

“He’s coming to spring training. And I’m going to say, I’m tired of paying his interpreter. When he was a player, we’d pay Iwakuma X, but we’d also have to pay $75,000 a year to have an interpreter with him. His English suddenly got better, his English got better when we told him that.”
Iwakuma pitched for the team from 2012-17 and is supposed to return as a coach this year.

About Julio Rodriguez, a consensus top-five prospect who was born in the Dominican Republic:

“Julio Rodriguez has got a personality bigger than all of you combined. He is loud, his English is not tremendous.”

Im actually dying to know where this guy was for the Ichiro and Felix Hernandez years

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 10:24:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/stonelarry/status/1363645719509233667?s=21

https://twitter.com/byalexcoffey/status/1363591914927308804?s=21

https://twitter.com/coreybrockmlb/status/1363650861352673280?s=21

https://twitter.com/kyleaglaser/status/1363723238677733377?s=21

None of which supports an argument of "racist", nor is anyone in those tweets making it. I don't know this guy from Adam, I don't care whether he kept his job or not, and I'm sure there are good reasons why he shouldn't, but Olbermann's hyperbolic squealing about racism where none is evident benefits no one.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 10:28:27 AM »
Q: Tell us about Julio Rodríguez.

KM: Julio Rodríguez has got a personality bigger than all of you combined. He is loud, his English is not tremendous.

It actually is a pretty awful look that type of question got that type of answer

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 10:29:32 AM »

That’s the point. No one gives a excrement if you don’t speak good French.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »
None of which supports an argument of "racist", nor is anyone in those tweets making it. I don't know this guy from Adam, I don't care whether he kept his job or not, and I'm sure there are good reasons why he shouldn't, but Olbermann's hyperbolic squealing about racism where none is evident benefits no one.

Ok so just ignorant and non-factual then? When you factor in that he’s 20 years old and has only been in this country a couple years, then it’s just a really dumb lie.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »
Ok so just ignorant and non-factual then? When you factor in that he’s 20 years old and has only been in this country a couple years, then it’s just a really dumb lie.

No argument with that.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2021, 11:28:34 AM »
i think one thing being ignore is that he blew the lid off of the service time manipulation. everyone knew it happened, but he just out and said it. he gave the players some major ammunition for the CBA negotiations by opening his mouth. he fucked himself 5 ways from sunday at a rotary club freaking interview.

Tags: