Author Topic: 2014 Free Agency  (Read 59845 times)

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
2014 Free Agency
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »
Not quite there yet, but some big, if not 100% foreshadowed news about Jimmy Graham.

Saints say they will tag him if required, and they will be pushing the tag as a tight end.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10328372/gm-says-new-orleans-saints-tag-jimmy-graham-necessary

So they're gonna franchise him, and he's almost assuredly going nowhere now.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: 2014 Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »
Said it earlier today:  I would trade the 18th overall pick for Jimmy Graham in a second
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

klaximilian

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
Said it earlier today:  I would trade the 18th overall pick for Jimmy Graham in a second

I think we all would, but would the Saints or Idzik want to do it?

Probably not.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:21 PM »

Geno could "Stafford" the ball up to Graham every time we don't run.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »
I think we all would, but would the Saints or Idzik want to do it?

Probably not.

If the Saints tag him, and the Jets throw him a contract that the Saints can't match, it's possible. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
If the Saints tag him, and the Jets throw him a contract that the Saints can't match, it's possible. 

We haven't seen any bold moves form Idzik yet.   This would qualify.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:53:24 PM »
If the jets signed Jimmy Graham I would be so happy.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »
Them franchising Graham is needed, but unless they come up with a long term deal they are screwed. He's got them by the nuts, because even if he gets the tag, it's 6 million+ on the cap and they'll have like no money to replace all if the guys they'll have to cut to get below the cap number. They can lowball him on the tag, but it's either a long term deal with big money or a trade to save then from having about fifteen rookies on the roster.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
Them franchising Graham is needed, but unless they come up with a long term deal they are screwed. He's got them by the nuts, because even if he gets the tag, it's 6 million+ on the cap and they'll have like no money to replace all if the guys they'll have to cut to get below the cap number. They can lowball him on the tag, but it's either a long term deal with big money or a trade to save then from having about fifteen rookies on the roster.

True.  They are already $13 million over the cap for 2014 as it is.  They are already going to need to make some tough choices without adding Graham's salary to it.  They should probably franchise him and try to trade him and maybe get some compensation.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »

Assuming he agrees to or loses the arbitration hearing that would indicate if he was a TE or a WR. Never know which way that could go, and is a difference of $5+ million on the franchise tag.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

Assuming he agrees to or loses the arbitration hearing that would indicate if he was a TE or a WR. Never know which way that could go, and is a difference of $5+ million on the franchise tag.

I know, I'm saying that it really doesn't matter if they win or lose because they are screwed either way if they have to pay him the tag, and which tag they place on him likely won't have any effect on his eventual salary because they have to backload it so much anyway.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
True.  They are already $13 million over the cap for 2014 as it is.  They are already going to need to make some tough choices without adding Graham's salary to it.  They should probably franchise him and try to trade him and maybe get some compensation.

Currenly, they are sitting at $139 Million with 52 players under contract. 

Quick look, and I see the following options to free up cap space. 

Probable Cuts: 

Will Smith saves $11.5 million
Jabari Greer saves $3.175 million
Mark Ingram saves $1.3 million
Jahri Evens saves $2.5 million

Possible restructures:

Ben Grubbs:  He has $6 million in un-guaranteed money, but has a cap hit of $9 million with prorated bonus money.  Grubbs has the upper hand, but no new money guaranteed.  They could reduce this years salary and guarantee future years.  Let's say they push back $5 million.

Jahri Evens who I have as a cut, could be the same structure to recapture more, but is he worth it?  No.

Rollover according to spotrac is $1.6 million. 

That puts them at $119 millionish.

I just can't see many more moves than that.  They could designate a couple players as June 1st cuts to relieve some pressure, but they are already at $125 million in 2015. 

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:17:01 PM »
Brees is going to restructure to free up cash for his biggest target.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
Brees is going to restructure to free up cash for his biggest target.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

That will be pretty tough with the numbers he slated to make in 2015 and 2016.  Unless you think he is going to take a pay cut.  The only thing they have to work with is his base salary.