Author Topic: dcm's Office of Jets Capology  (Read 11461 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: dcm's Office of Jets Capology
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2024, 10:37:18 AM »
https://x.com/Jason_OTC/status/1749464920649867620?s=20

Explanation of why cap isn't fake long-term.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2024, 10:45:33 AM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2024, 10:18:32 AM »
Jason at OTC wrote an article about void years and some teams that could save some cap space by extending players with several void years in their contracts.  Not much, but might be an option if they decide to bring back Whitehead.  He's still 26 years old, although it feels like he should be 32 in my head.  I think Jefferson has a decent chance to come back here too, but I'm not sure it would be an extension.

The third team surprised me and that team is the Jets. The Jets have four voiding contracts with up to $11.15 million in savings but other than Jordan Whitehead ($2.5 million saved) I don’t think there would be a big push to return the others. The other names are Carl Lawson, Duane Brown, and Quinton Jefferson.

https://overthecap.com/creating-cap-space-by-extending-players-with-void-years
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:20:06 AM by bojanglesman »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2024, 09:51:05 AM »
Along with the Tomlinson cut, if we make the moves we are expected to (cut Uzomah, trade Zach), we will have over $31 mil in cap space.  Where we can really win is if we can trade JFM.  We'd be up to $38 mil of cap space, wouldn't really need to replace him because we could shift the linemen around and let McDonald play more.  Plus we might get a mid to late-round draft pick for him.  I don't think we'd get a high pick because he would have a fairly high salary for his new team to take on. 

This isn't even considering the contract renegotiations, extensions and new deals that could open up a lot more space.  Cap won't be a problem for the Jets, it's a matter of how aggressive they want to be at the expense of the future.  Douglas has to decide how much he's willing to risk his future job security for current job security.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2024, 10:28:56 AM »
Where we can really win is if we can trade JFM.

We can only do that if we re-sign Huff.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2024, 10:43:33 AM »

Good point, I guess McDonald would have to take on Huff and JFM's snaps at DE, which isn't reasonable.  But at least we'd have a chunk of change to overpay Huff if we trade JFM.  But we'd need to nail down Huff first because we need JFM is we lose Huff.

Honestly, I don't know if there's a price we could pay that would have Huff willing to come back here.  I don't think he hates the team or anything, I think he wants to leave to a different system where he'd get more snaps.  Even if we traded JFM, I don't know that Saleh would give the playing time he wants.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2024, 03:55:58 PM »

But we're going to have to trade JFM to re-sign Huff...but we can't re-sign Huff unless we trade JFM...and we have to re-sign Huff to trade JFM...but we probably can't afford to re-sign Hu...
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2024, 04:53:12 PM »
But we're going to have to trade JFM to re-sign Huff...but we can't re-sign Huff unless we trade JFM...and we have to re-sign Huff to trade JFM...but we probably can't afford to re-sign Hu...

It's not the money, it's the playing time.  Huff isn't going to want to come back here and get part time snaps.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2024, 05:49:30 PM »
It's not the money, it's the playing time.  Huff isn't going to want to come back here and get part time snaps.

No.

If we kept both, JFM would lose edge snaps to play inside and Clemmons would just lose snaps. The starters would be Huff and Johnson.

We also haven't heard Huff complain about the rotation once and he just put up double digit sacks in it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:51:13 PM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2024, 05:50:17 PM »
freak Tapatalk.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2024, 08:24:11 AM »
No.

If we kept both, JFM would lose edge snaps to play inside and Clemmons would just lose snaps. The starters would be Huff and Johnson.

We also haven't heard Huff complain about the rotation once and he just put up double digit sacks in it.

This. Dude is thriving the way we do things. I fully suspect he goes wherever the money is best, not where he gets to play the most.

Now one could easily argue he is worth the most money to the team that plans to play him the most, which is why he would go there. But if our offer is the same as say Houston and he’s gonna play 75% of snaps there vs 55% here, I think he’s staying put.
Need a new one for a new board...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2024, 08:32:51 AM »
https://x.com/zackblatt/status/1768258736840208553?s=46&t=e6vm1ybQ4I7pEpNpNEkBkg

Turns out we couldn’t have afforded any of the high priced FAs
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2024, 08:38:42 AM »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2024, 08:56:06 AM »
I do wonder why we didn't restructure some of these deals earlier.  Maybe they didn't know how much they were needing since we didn't know what players we'd have a shot at.  excrement, I don't know, I ain't no GM.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2024, 09:50:50 AM »
ThE CaP iSn'T rEaL!1!

We did almost none of the things we could have done to free up cap space. Money was there if we wanted it. How much “pushing to the future” we wanted to do is debatable. But we had options to get us more cash and we didn’t take those avenues before FA started
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: