Author Topic: dcm's Office of Jets Capology  (Read 11142 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: dcm's Office of Jets Capology
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/DWAZ73/status/1630618220389343232?t=pG7js7Av5vwYp2gH09Vmqw&s=19

dcm can take the rest of the offseason off. See you  in Sept, spud.
He said after the combine, which is like next week. No rest for DCM.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2023, 06:23:02 PM »
I don't understand how negative cap space is a good place to be

Especially before giving out a monster QB contract, a Q extension, and signing all the draft picks.

I understand we can easily free up a chunk of cash

But I don't think you can call our cap situation anything than OK

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2023, 06:23:23 PM »
He said after the combine, which is like next week. No rest for DCM.
You woke him....way to go.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2023, 06:50:59 PM »
I don't understand how negative cap space is a good place to be

Especially before giving out a monster QB contract, a Q extension, and signing all the draft picks.

I understand we can easily free up a chunk of cash

But I don't think you can call our cap situation anything than OK
Douglas has made zero cap moves yet and we are basically flat with the cap.  He has tons of options to create space by cuts and restructures, without becoming the Saints.  I'm betting some of these contracts had restructure or extension possibilities planned when they were made. 

With some restructures to Mosley and Lawson's contracts, along with cutting Corey Davis, we will be able to sign the draft class, get Q a contract, and sign Carr or Rodgers.  Q will likely have a lower cap number this year on a new contract compared to future years.  Same with Rodgers/Carr/Jacoby Brissett.

The only move we know will happen right now is cutting Davis.  That gets us $10 million under the cap by itself, and that's before considering cutting Berrios, Jordan Whitehead, Duane Brown, freaking Braden Mann, and Ashtyn Davis.  We may cut all, some or none of them.  We may possibly bail on Lawson too since he has a low dead money number and hopefully a replacement in the waiting.  Hopefully not though.

I'm resigned to the fact that Mosley's contract means he will likely be here for a while, but I think he'll be solid for a few more years.  Will he be overpaid?  Yes, but he's worth overpaying.  He's smart, a leader, and still plays pretty well for his age.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 06:57:31 PM by bojanglesman »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2023, 06:54:37 AM »
Douglas has made zero cap moves yet and we are basically flat with the cap.  He has tons of options to create space by cuts and restructures, without becoming the Saints.  I'm betting some of these contracts had restructure or extension possibilities planned when they were made. 

With some restructures to Mosley and Lawson's contracts, along with cutting Corey Davis, we will be able to sign the draft class, get Q a contract, and sign Carr or Rodgers.  Q will likely have a lower cap number this year on a new contract compared to future years.  Same with Rodgers/Carr/Jacoby Brissett.

The only move we know will happen right now is cutting Davis.  That gets us $10 million under the cap by itself, and that's before considering cutting Berrios, Jordan Whitehead, Duane Brown, freaking Braden Mann, and Ashtyn Davis.  We may cut all, some or none of them.  We may possibly bail on Lawson too since he has a low dead money number and hopefully a replacement in the waiting.  Hopefully not though.

I'm resigned to the fact that Mosley's contract means he will likely be here for a while, but I think he'll be solid for a few more years.  Will he be overpaid?  Yes, but he's worth overpaying.  He's smart, a leader, and still plays pretty well for his age.

Literally any team can restructure contracts to move cap burdens to future years

I don't see how this makes it ideal

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2023, 11:29:52 AM »
No. You can of course but it comes to bite you in the derriere if you do it too often or too much. The Jets' don't have that problem now, thus giving them flexibility to work the cap better.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2023, 02:06:31 PM »
Rich Cimini
@RichCimini
·
57m
S Jordan Whitehead restructured his contract, creating $5.3M in cap savings, per OTC. Converted non-guaranteed base salary into signing bonus, dropping cap charge to $4.9M from $10.2M. Added 4 void years for cap purposes, meaning a $3.3M hit next yr when deal voids. #Jets

#moarcap
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2023, 02:17:05 PM »
Q extension incoming
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2023, 02:26:35 PM »
Q extension incoming

i'll get the lube

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2023, 09:40:07 PM »
Field Yates
@FieldYates
Players with restructured deals in recent days with their updated cap charges for 2023:

Jets CB Bryce Hall: $1.097M (down from $2.82M)

Doug wringing out every last drop of cap space.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2023, 10:04:45 PM »
Like, y, tho?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2023, 10:28:46 PM »
Like, y, tho?

"Do you like your job? Do you want to keep it, or do you want to be on the street looking for a new one? Because you're not worth nearly $3M a year, but I'm a nice guy so I'll let you kick $2M into next year and you can have it if you can prove you're worth me keeping you around."
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2023, 01:06:55 AM »
"Do you like your job? Do you want to keep it, or do you want to be on the street looking for a new one? Because you're not worth nearly $3M a year, but I'm a nice guy so I'll let you kick $2M into next year and you can have it if you can prove you're worth me keeping you around."

But y tho? We already had plenty of cap space.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2023, 04:32:23 AM »
But y tho? We already had plenty of cap space.

Two reasons, we had another CB we liked almost as much as Hall, and gave him a choice of matching that salary or go find a new job.

Money rolls over to next year. It seems we are expected to be “tight” on space next year as we have key guys to bring back/restructure and are certainly going to want to have new additions. But we shall see what we end up doing with the cash this year. But I really freaking hope it’s Mike Evans.
Need a new one for a new board...

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2023, 09:26:36 AM »
Two reasons, we had another CB we liked almost as much as Hall, and gave him a choice of matching that salary or go find a new job.

Money rolls over to next year. It seems we are expected to be “tight” on space next year as we have key guys to bring back/restructure and are certainly going to want to have new additions. But we shall see what we end up doing with the cash this year. But I really freaking hope it’s Mike Evans.
I dont think enough people realize this.  If you don't spend the cap it moves to the following year.  Seeing as guys like huff need to be paid and our only tackles on the roster in 24 are Warren and Mitchel we need every dollar we can ger

Tags: