Author Topic: dcm's Office of Jets Capology  (Read 11467 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: dcm's Office of Jets Capology
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2024, 09:58:27 AM »
I know Douglas doesn't have the good fortune of worrying about next year, but we are going to have to potentially pay Sauce, Breece, JJ, and Garrett Wilson, starting as soon as next year.  It's the only downside to hitting on all those guys at once.  At the same time, we are in win-now mode with Rodgers and this defense.  Those 2 things don't mesh well, but a good GM can't ignore either of those mandates.  I highly doubt we'll find a way to re-sign all 4 of those guys.  Hopefully we can keep GW and Sauce at least.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2024, 10:26:07 AM »
I know Douglas doesn't have the good fortune of worrying about next year, but we are going to have to potentially pay Sauce, Breece, JJ, and Garrett Wilson, starting as soon as next year.  It's the only downside to hitting on all those guys at once.  At the same time, we are in win-now mode with Rodgers and this defense.  Those 2 things don't mesh well, but a good GM can't ignore either of those mandates.  I highly doubt we'll find a way to re-sign all 4 of those guys.  Hopefully we can keep GW and Sauce at least.

It has to be spaced out and well planned financially.

Next year Breece gets extended as his deal is shorter and I would target Sauce as well and say he’s a (at least) 2 time all pro. Then the year after Garrett and JJ get extended before their fifth year option kicks in.

Essentially that’s why I expected a ton of essentially 2 year deals this year on big time vets so the money starts coming off the books. And there is a new TV deal coming to expand the cap even further in the next couple years.
Need a new one for a new board...

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2024, 10:39:55 AM »

A new GM/HC will want their guys while determining who to keep in our core.  I think everything will be on the table if we start over.  The key being if you're going to move on from previously untouchable players, you better get good compensation in return.

Make no mistake, it will be a scorched earth approach if Douglas/Saleh get fired next year.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2024, 10:40:32 AM »
We did almost none of the things we could have done to free up cap space. Money was there if we wanted it. How much “pushing to the future” we wanted to do is debatable. But we had options to get us more cash and we didn’t take those avenues before FA started

Do you think that might have been because a lot of them were bad ideas?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2024, 12:36:10 PM »
Do you think that might have been because a lot of them were bad ideas?

Extending CJ and DJ and restructuring Q are not bad ideas. Every single way to save a penny? Some definitely would age terribly for us for sure

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2024, 01:21:57 PM »
Extending CJ and DJ and restructuring Q are not bad ideas. Every single way to save a penny? Some definitely would age terribly for us for sure

Unless you're going to elaborate on what you mean by restructuring the contract that Quinnen Williams signed last season, I'm forced to assume that you're using the word as a magic button.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2024, 02:29:23 PM »
Unless you're going to elaborate on what you mean by restructuring the contract that Quinnen Williams signed last season, I'm forced to assume that you're using the word as a magic button.

Convert part of his base salary this year to a signing or roster bonus, thus allowing us to spread his current 2024 cap hit out over several years. At this point he is the best guy to do that with as we plan to be committed to him as a her for several more years anyways.

Doing the same thing with JFM is a possibility as well. BUT is he a guy we want to be tied to in 2026? I don’t think that’s true right now, and it certainly wouldn’t be if we end up with a new regime in 2025. Hes the perfect example of a guy you wouldn’t want to restructure and be tied to long term.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2024, 03:15:39 PM »
We did almost none of the things we could have done to free up cap space. Money was there if we wanted it. How much “pushing to the future” we wanted to do is debatable. But we had options to get us more cash and we didn’t take those avenues before FA started
Aside from Robert Hunt this FA class sucked imo

Nobody worth overpaying or going all in on unless it was Higgins lol

Which we didn't have capital for plus a major extension

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2024, 03:16:13 PM »
I'd extend DJ Reed and Michael Carter before I overpaid for most of this FA class

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2024, 03:29:20 PM »
A new GM/HC will want their guys while determining who to keep in our core.  I think everything will be on the table if we start over.  The key being if you're going to move on from previously untouchable players, you better get good compensation in return.

Make no mistake, it will be a scorched earth approach if Douglas/Saleh get fired next year.

If we hire a new GM and he wants to get rid of Wilson, Sauce or JJ, he's going to be really excrement and we'll be in hell for even more years. Breece, as good as he is, could make sense.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2024, 05:12:19 PM »
I'd extend DJ Reed and Michael Carter before I overpaid for most of this FA class

I wasn't enamored with the T options in this FA class but I would have been much happier with the guards we couldn't afford (especially Onwenu, Hunt, or Runyan) over whatever deal we gave the Ravens' cast-off penalty machine, or having the financial option to be competitive for another WR which we really freaking need.

Reed might be a good option for that but that's assuming he wants to do the team a favor with a friendlier contract. He's only 27 and he can easily get another big deal after this season. Just because it would be great for the team doesn't mean it would be good for him, especially with him heading into free agency when the Jets are possibly resetting with a whole new front office and coaching staff. Does he really want to be locked into that?

Carter is in the last year of his rookie deal, I'm not sure how likely he would be to agree to a deal actually lowers his cap number this year when he's on the cusp of his first free agency after playing for a team that has been a excrement show.

Mosely is really the only one on the roster who was poised to do the team any favors. He's likely in the last year of his prime, there's actually incentive there for him to extend for more guaranteed money from us vs. any of the other names mentioned here.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2024, 05:25:49 PM »
Quinnen can be restructured and push cap down the road.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2024, 05:38:18 PM »
Quinnen can be restructured and push cap down the road.
More Cap space??

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2024, 12:10:07 AM »
• Tyron Smith: $6.5M guaranteed
• John Simpson: $6M AAV
• Morgan Moses: $5.5M cap hit
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2024, 03:43:00 PM »
Rich Cimini
@RichCimini
Compensation updates:

CB Isaiah Oliver: 1 year/$2.5M ($2.2M gtd)

S Chuck Clark: 1 year/$2M ($705K gtd)

TE Kenny Yeboah: 1 year/$1.4M ($225K gtd)

G Jake Hanson: 1 year/$1.1M ($45K gtd)

Tags: