Author Topic: NFL reportedly intends to give all players the choice to sit out the entire 2020 season  (Read 1630 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
The other big question is how teams will handle the contract of any player who decides to sit out.

Is key.

If contracts are frozen vs advance a year will make all the world of difference. Especially in the case of someone like Jamal

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Jamal is gonna sit out
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
I can't see any way that the NFL would offer this without a contract freeze. They're not going to let players burn a year of their contract, even if it goes unpaid.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
I can't see any way that the NFL would offer this without a contract freeze. They're not going to let players burn a year of their contract, even if it goes unpaid.

Hopefully

If it's not with a contract freeze you could see guys on shitty contracts and or rookie deals basically use it as extreme leverage.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Everyone should sit out.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Everyone should sit out.

Then the cap will tank in 2021!

/sarcasm
Need a new one for a new board...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
After several weeks of negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA, it appears the two sides have come to an agreement on the idea of letting players opt out. According to NFL.com, the league and the union intend to give the players the option to sit out, which is potentially huge because it means that any player on any team could choose to skip the 2020 season without facing any sort of penalty.

The opt-out could add an interesting twist to the season, especially if someone's starting quarterback decides not to play.

Under the plan developed by the NFL and NFLPA, there really wouldn't be any strict guidelines with the opt-out. Any player who has a pre-existing condition would be allowed to sit out. Players who have family members with pre-existing conditions would be allowed to sit out. Also, any player who has any concerns about playing during a pandemic would also be allowed to sit out, which would open the door for pretty much any player to sit out the season.

Before the opt-out goes into effect, several things still have to be figured out. One big one is when players would have to opt out by. According to NFL.com, general managers around the league were told this week that the opt-out will come with a hard deadline. Although the date for that deadline hasn't been set, any player who wants to sit out 2020 would have to declare themselves out before the deadline.

“An interesting twist”

freak off, mate
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Hopefully

If it's not with a contract freeze you could see guys on shitty contracts and or rookie deals basically use it as extreme leverage.

A contract freeze is going to make things really screwy though, because it's going to change the end date of some contracts and not others which has the potential to really freak with teams' cap planning. I'm not sure I can see how this is going to work.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Jamal is gonna sit out
An absolute lock
I'm not sure he would. I think he's too proud of his image as a competitor.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
I'm not sure he would. I think he's too proud of his image as a competitor.
Yeah, I don't think Jamal is sitting out. I think the guy loves football too much not to play. However, if contracts don't freeze, it could easily be a leverage tactic.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
A contract freeze is going to make things really screwy though, because it's going to change the end date of some contracts and not others which has the potential to really freak with teams' cap planning. I'm not sure I can see how this is going to work.

Theoretically wouldn't they just get the cap savings from this season and have it roll over?

Though I suppose they could easily implement some kind of waiver allowing teams to go xyz over the cap in future years for covid related contract delays.

I think a big concern would be older players on high paying contracts.

I mean if you have a guy whose set to make 15 million at 37 or 38 and instead they'll be making they at 39 or something that's a big difference.

The nfl and NFLPA can agree on anything they want. But I'd assume that the rules should logically follow something along the structure of a player who retires and then unretires a year or two later (ie Gronk)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:50:07 PM by dcm1602 »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Donovan Smith thinks playing this season would be a stupid idea.

Guess this could have also gone in the LOL Tampa thread.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tags: