Author Topic: Assorted 2021 NFL Mock Drafts  (Read 48255 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Assorted 2021 NFL Mock Drafts
« Reply #390 on: April 09, 2021, 10:32:39 AM »
I've been thinking recently about the possibility of an RB at pick 34... Are we sure that Etienne or Harris wouldn't be worth it at that pick simply because positional value isn't great? I understand the current offensive system doesn't need elite talent at the position to generate production, but if either player is there, I might like that pick at 34.

If both are those next RBs to enter the elite tier of Zeke, Kamara, Henry, Saquon, CMC, I think they'd be more useful to Wilson's development than any defensive player. I'd love to add to the WR group, but an elite RB would probably hold more value than a #4 WR or a future slot WR.

*Disclaimer: with this in mind, IOL comes first and foremost and is my preferable pick at 23.

Obviously DL comes first.

I really doubt either RB would be there at 34.

I think we are fine at WR, but a good slot WR would make sense as Crowder's replacement in 2022. 

Really need a corner.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #391 on: April 09, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
I've been thinking recently about the possibility of an RB at pick 34... Are we sure that Etienne or Harris wouldn't be worth it at that pick simply because positional value isn't great? I understand the current offensive system doesn't need elite talent at the position to generate production, but if either player is there, I might like that pick at 34.

If both are those next RBs to enter the elite tier of Zeke, Kamara, Henry, Saquon, CMC, I think they'd be more useful to Wilson's development than any defensive player. I'd love to add to the WR group, but an elite RB would probably hold more value than a #4 WR or a future slot WR.

*Disclaimer: with this in mind, IOL comes first and foremost and is my preferable pick at 23.
If we get Wilson and IOL in the 1st I wouldn't object to ETN/Harris at 34. If not then then I don't want to see us take an RB before day 3.

If 23 is not IOL then I want IOL at 34 over any RB.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #392 on: April 09, 2021, 10:35:03 AM »
If we get Wilson and IOL in the 1st I wouldn't object to ETN/Harris at 34. If not then then I don't want to see us take an RB before day 3.

Kwity Paye at 23 confirmed
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #393 on: April 09, 2021, 10:39:55 AM »

That SI article from yesterday had Douglas talking about the importance of surrounding a rookie QB with strength everywhere else so they don't have to win games on their own, and he specifically mentioned the run game. I don't know how Lafleur feels about having a feature back but it doesn't seem like something that would be especially surprising if it happened.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #394 on: April 09, 2021, 11:32:44 AM »
That SI article from yesterday had Douglas talking about the importance of surrounding a rookie QB with strength everywhere else so they don't have to win games on their own, and he specifically mentioned the run game. I don't know how Lafleur feels about having a feature back but it doesn't seem like something that would be especially surprising if it happened.

Yeah this is kind of what sparked my question. Putting an elite talent at RB seems like a better way to surround your young QB with talent than drafting a CB or LB.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #395 on: April 09, 2021, 11:48:50 AM »
Yeah this is kind of what sparked my question. Putting an elite talent at RB seems like a better way to surround your young QB with talent than drafting a CB or LB.

Well, the counter argument to that is that an effective run game doesn't necessarily require an elite running back, and that a defense that returns the ball to the QB with shorter fields and doesn't force him to chase multi-score deficits actually relieves a huge amount of pressure.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion either way, a couple of my favourite players ever were running backs so I'll never complain about having a special talent there. I just don't know if it's especially valuable overall to the team we think we're going to be.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #396 on: April 09, 2021, 12:48:03 PM »
Well, the counter argument to that is that an effective run game doesn't necessarily require an elite running back, and that a defense that returns the ball to the QB with shorter fields and doesn't force him to chase multi-score deficits actually relieves a huge amount of pressure.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion either way, a couple of my favourite players ever were running backs so I'll never complain about having a special talent there. I just don't know if it's especially valuable overall to the team we think we're going to be.
Counter counter argument is that ETN in particular would be a factor in the passing game.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #397 on: April 09, 2021, 01:05:21 PM »
Counter counter argument is that ETN in particular would be a factor in the passing game.

For sure. I won't pretend to be smart enough to know if or how that would work in the offensive scheme we're likely to be implementing, but given my fanboying for LdT I'm not going to object. I love all purpose running backs.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #398 on: April 09, 2021, 02:35:15 PM »

Prepare yourself for our first OL pick to be in round 5

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #399 on: April 09, 2021, 02:38:40 PM »
Najee Harris favored to be first RB drafted at -150 next is Etienne at +200

ETN bet is intriguing

Here's some more odds:

First CB drafted:
Suratin -250
Horn +200
Farley +800

First Non QB to be drafted:
Pitts +150
Sewell +150
Chase +250

First Def Player Drafted:
Parsons +150
Surtain +150
Paye +400
Horn +700
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:45:36 PM by loyaljetsfan »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #400 on: April 09, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
Najee Harris favored to be first RB drafted at -150 next is Etienne at +200

ETN bet is intriguing

Here's some more odds:

First CB drafted:
Suratin -250
Horn +200
Farley +800

First Non QB to be drafted:
Pitts +150
Sewell +150
Chase +250

First Def Player Drafted:
Parsons +150
Surtain +150
Paye +400
Horn +700

I feel like Parsons is probably the draft day faller that happens every year. With so much less information and insight available compared to previous years it's going to be harder to get under the skin of the locker room problems and really believe that they're behind him or at least fixable, and with him opting out of 2020 there isn't even a bunch of recent highlight reel shininess for a front office to convince themselves on.

Apparently his coach at Penn State in 2019 is at the Giants now, so maybe that's a destination. Can't see the first ten picks all being offense though.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #401 on: April 09, 2021, 06:39:09 PM »

This.  We can't go defense then rb.  If we go qb, guard, rb I won't complain

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #402 on: April 09, 2021, 06:53:40 PM »
Unless someone at another position unexpectedly falls, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't take a guard and a corner with our second and third picks.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #403 on: April 09, 2021, 08:00:39 PM »
Entire gord draft.

casman02

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #404 on: April 09, 2021, 08:07:11 PM »
Unless someone at another position unexpectedly falls, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't take a guard and a corner with our second and third picks.

I just want a guard with pick 2 or 3. I can live with putting a pass rusher above corner, maybe 1 or 2 other positions as well.

Also interested to see if there is a kicker worth drafting in the sixth.

Tags: