Author Topic: Jets sign Joe Flacco 1 year / $1.5M  (Read 9591 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets sign Joe Flacco 1 year / $1.5M
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »
Cimini: Flacco will not be ready for week 1.

This is why I'm not that excited about this signing. We'll still have to carry David Fales for a couple of weeks. Hopefully Morgan proves to be s better player and Fales just gets designated as the emergency QB.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2020, 07:35:01 PM »
We might just opt to carry Morgan as a backup and cut Fales so the team's not keeping 4 QBs. If Flacco's out for long enough he can just be IR'd designated to return anyway.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »

This is why I'm not that excited about this signing. We'll still have to carry David Fales for a couple of weeks. Hopefully Morgan proves to be s better player and Fales just gets designated as the emergency QB.
I mean, he's an injured backup quarterback. Anyone who is excited needs some more excitement in their life. I'm happy they made the move because I'm happy to have a veteran presence in the room. If things go well, Flacco doesn't play at all this year.

Fales and Morgan compete for the backup spot. If Morgan looks good, we cut Fales. If Morgan isn't ready, we can go with 4 QBs, or we can stash Flacco on PUP.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2020, 09:07:59 PM »
I mean, he's an injured backup quarterback. Anyone who is excited needs some more excitement in their life.

Anyone who isn't excited either didn't watch Siemian and that other queynte I've horrorblanked out of my mind for three games that felt like three seasons.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »
Anyone who isn't excited either didn't watch Siemian and that other queynte I've horrorblanked out of my mind for three games that felt like three seasons.
Flacco isn't good either. I actually thought Siemian would be a decent backup last year. Talent-wise at this point in their careers, a 27-year old Siemian and a 35-year old Flacco coming off neck surgery are about the same to me. But Siemian simply got destroyed behind our OL, and he was shook and then injured immediately.

I just didn't like Darnold and Fales being the veterans in the QB room with Morgan. Now we have a vet.

Also, if Flacco needs to be ready for Week 1, we have bigger issues.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2020, 11:39:04 PM »
Were barely good enough to get a wildcard with Darnold not sure why you guys care so much who the backup may be for a week or two

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2020, 05:23:17 AM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/26/joe-flacco-wants-to-play-but-knows-role-is-to-help-sam-darnold/

good

i'm sure Joe D had a talk with his guy about the sort of role he expects him to play on the team with regards to sam, prior to signing him

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »

As much as Simien looked like a deer in the headlights, it was probably for good reason considering out of the 6 passes he attempted Myles Garret was up his derriere for five and a half of them.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »

A better plan is Darnold lasting longer than Week 1 this year. Just a thought.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2020, 12:44:52 PM »
He will likely have Coronavirus at the end of August just to freak his third season up

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2020, 01:59:52 PM »
He will likely have Coronavirus at the end of August just to freak his third season up

We know most of this board will be hiding at home so we'll have a two man tailgate this year. 
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »

At the very least you're consistent.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »
Just some devil's advocate spitballing. 
Flacco uttering the "here to help Sam" company line is to be expected right out of the box and especially since he has a history with Joe Douglas.  At the same time he still wants to play (believes he's got something left in the tank) and with $3M in incentives,  exactly how will his "clipboard-holding / help Sam"  hold up over an entire season?  Further, he's an immobile big-arm QB whose skill set doesn't exactly align with Darnold's.  Lastly, while he's dinged up, he saw Peyton Manning come back from a wrenched neck, and, he's the same crank who made a point of saying his job was not to serve as Drew Lock's mentor.  just sayin'..

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
Just some devil's advocate spitballing. 
Flacco uttering the "here to help Sam" company line is to be expected right out of the box and especially since he has a history with Joe Douglas.  At the same time he still wants to play (believes he's got something left in the tank) and with $3M in incentives,  exactly how will his "clipboard-holding / help Sam"  hold up over an entire season?  Further, he's an immobile big-arm QB whose skill set doesn't exactly align with Darnold's.  Lastly, while he's dinged up, he saw Peyton Manning come back from a wrenched neck, and, he's the same crank who made a point of saying his job was not to serve as Drew Lock's mentor.  just sayin'..

Not too worried about skillset.

Flacco has been in the league for a while and he won a title.  If he can help Darnold's preparation and ball security, I'm all for it. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: