Author Topic: The Last Dance  (Read 4245 times)

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
Re: The Last Dance
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 06:40:34 PM »
Spoken like all the people who never saw Jordan play

That's why Wilt Chamberlain is the best player ever. If you didn't see him play, you can't argue.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
That's why Wilt Chamberlain is the best player ever. If you didn't see him play, you can't argue.

So it appears you haven’t seen Jordan then?

Thought so.

Also your argument is stupid on so many levels. I never saw Montana play, but I am perfectly able to admit he is the best QB to ever play prior to Brady.

Also Wilt is the most statistically dominant player in NBA history, and I’m not sure that’s in doubt. He’s in contention for one of the greatest ever, and I would wager in most people’s starting 5 for the “best of all time lineup”
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:53:04 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 09:01:27 PM »
hey i didn't say they were the best, i said 2 of the best. would you not grant them that?

They're in the upper echelons, but until either of them wins a World Cup then they're not in the same conversation as Pele or Maradona, or even Zidane or Beckenbauer.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 09:23:37 PM »
They're in the upper echelons, but until either of them wins a World Cup then they're not in the same conversation as Pele or Maradona, or even Zidane or Beckenbauer.

i am honestly not quite sure of what i may have said to you in the past with regards to this, but the sw0rdz of today is in complete agreement with that statement. save for ronaldo's euro, the international record for either is pretty disgraceful.

it's why i feel a player like mbappe, who has already won a WC starting for france at a very tender age, has the potential to surpass both.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »
Wilt Chamberlain’s best work was in Conan the Destroyer
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 09:42:54 PM »
Wilt Chamberlain’s best work was in Conan the Destroyer
The MB we all deserve!
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 10:15:06 PM »
So freaking dumb to break up this team
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 03:23:23 AM »
So freaking dumb to break up this team

Jerry Krause was a genius. Jerry Krause was an idiot.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »
Being a better player? There absolutely is.

Lol, no there isn't.

i am honestly not quite sure of what i may have said to you in the past with regards to this, but the sw0rdz of today is in complete agreement with that statement. save for ronaldo's euro, the international record for either is pretty disgraceful.

it's why i feel a player like mbappe, who has already won a WC starting for france at a very tender age, has the potential to surpass both.

It's Messi's fault Gonzalo Higuiain couldn't hit water if he fell out of a fuckin boat.

I love Mbappe as a player and he had a hell of a tournament,  but he isn't surpassing excrement as long as he stays in the relative comfort of Ligue 1.

Jerry Krause was a genius. Jerry Krause was an idiot.

Easily the most overhyped/overplayed part of the mini-series, probably because Jordan had a level of editorial control and still has positive relationships with Reinsdorf and Phil and we all know his discontent with Crumbs, which it should be noted was born out of a move that wound up benefiting the team immensely. I love Charles Oakley as a player. Bill Cartwright was essential to the first three-peat and to say Krause was wrong for making that move, especially with the benefit of hindsight is the height of stupidity.

Every year after 95 Phil would squawk through the media about how this is it, this is his last year, he can't motivate the team anymore, etc etc etc. Jerry literally changed the supporting cast inside of three years from the 93 team to 96, part of the motivation being to placate Phil. Even without Krause's absurd "I don't give a freak if its 82-0, you're out" if Phil wanted to come back, he'd have come back. He didn't want to and I do think part of his motivation for saying no is because either way even with Phil and MJ in tow, Reinsdorf was not spending the $$$ to bring back Pippen who was obviously a very necessary component to their success, and someone who was irreplaceable to that team. Jordan himself naively (and this may be an extension into why he's such a failure as a basketball executive) just blindly assumes at the end that Pippen would've come back on a one year deal to run it again for 7. No fuckin way. Pip was tired of being underpaid, wanted locked in, long-term security (which was his motivation of running into that initial shitty contract to begin with) and though he'd never admit it, definitely at that point seemed tired of being second fiddle. excrement he joined a ready made Rockets team with two alpha's and rather than play within their game and play complementary basketball, by all accounts tried to be "the man" and it didn't work.

In short, Krause's less than congenial attitude certainly didn't help matters (how he could ever think that inviting the entire organization but Phil to his step-daughters wedding is in any way appropriate or becoming of his position is beyond me), but if Reinsdorf wanted to spend the money (even in the documentary he blames the rising salaries of guys like Ron Harper as an example of why the team was going to change...Harper wasn't a free agent, played on that God awful team with the likes of Herschey Hawkins and Dickey Simpkins the next year and then got freaking released only to go to the Lakers and win another ring), convinces Phil he's willing to cut a check to bring everyone back and that he'll handle the fallout with Krause, who knows? Maybe Phil comes back, and if Phil comes back I'm relatively confident Jordan comes back. At the same time, its easy for Michael to say he wanted to chase number 7 now some 20 years later when at the time in 98 he's telling Ahmad Rashad in a car that not only is he done, but he won't miss it.

Touching back on Reinsdorf, the idea that he knew Scottie's motivation for entering into that contract, saw how vital he was to the team, saw how much revenue he was bringing in, saw how underpaid he was relative to a role-player in the NBA by the middle of the contract, nevermind a top 5 player in the league and refused to take care of him is exactly why this lover of the older lady would be nothing but James Dolan central had the Blazers not taken Sam Bowie. He's not quite Wilpon-esque in his quest to not spend, but he's close. How've the Bulls been since Jordan left? Krause actually had some really good drafts but was too busy searching for the quick fix as opposed to letting his young talent breath (which is how you get yourself involved into trading Ron Artest and Brad Miller for a faded Jalen Rose), and Gar-Pax lucked into Derrick Rose and trade-raped the Knicks twice only to pee one of those selections away on Tyrus Thomas instead of LaMarcus Aldrige (which got an immediate seal of approval from that douchebag Colin Cowherd so you know he's an idiot), and have their luck run out on D-Rose one fateful and unfortunate playoff game against Philadelphia. They haven't been able to parlay their status as the team of the 90's, or keep themselves in the rarified air of franchises like the Celtics or Lakers because it starts at the top.

As a Bulls fan it pains me to make this one final point, and I still wouldn't bet against Jordan...but that 99 Spurs team was a HORRIBLE matchup for the Bulls. You think the 98 Pacers were bullies inside and presented a matchup problem with their size? Ric Smits was very effective for the Pacers in that 98 ECF, I don't even want to think about a very faded 37 year old Rodman coming off off a half a season due to a lockout as the best shot at neutralizing San Antonios twin towers along the glass. Yikes.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:12:02 AM by mj2sexay »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »
It's Messi's fault Gonzalo Higuiain couldn't hit water if he fell out of a fuckin boat.

The problem Messi will always have is that faced with a remarkably similar situation to the guy whose crown he wants, he falls short. In 1986 Argentina had a pretty mediocre team, but Bilardo was smart enough to recognise that he lived or died with Maradona so he built the team around him. He had axe murderers like Sergio Enrique in midfield who got a nose bleed if they went over the half way line, and players like Burruchaga who would run all day and whose only job was to stretch the field and create space for Maradona to work. And it worked, brilliantly, because Diego Maradona is the best player who has played the game in my close on 50 years on this planet, and possibly the greatest ever.

Compare and contrast with Messi, who probably has a bit more talent around him than Maradona did but who also has a team built to get him the ball as much as possible, and what has he achieved in the World Cup? 6 goals in 3 tournaments, against Serbia and Montenegro, Iran, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Nigeria (3). When he's put on the biggest stage he has consistently failed to elevate those around him and be the man of the moment, and for that reason he will never be thought of on the same level as Maradona or Pele.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 10:13:11 AM »
Fat Ronaldo was a better player than the one all the ladies want, come at me..............
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »
The problem Messi will always have is that faced with a remarkably similar situation to the guy whose crown he wants, he falls short. In 1986 Argentina had a pretty mediocre team, but Bilardo was smart enough to recognise that he lived or died with Maradona so he built the team around him. He had axe murderers like Sergio Enrique in midfield who got a nose bleed if they went over the half way line, and players like Burruchaga who would run all day and whose only job was to stretch the field and create space for Maradona to work. And it worked, brilliantly, because Diego Maradona is the best player who has played the game in my close on 50 years on this planet, and possibly the greatest ever.

Compare and contrast with Messi, who probably has a bit more talent around him than Maradona did but who also has a team built to get him the ball as much as possible, and what has he achieved in the World Cup? 6 goals in 3 tournaments, against Serbia and Montenegro, Iran, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Nigeria (3). When he's put on the biggest stage he has consistently failed to elevate those around him and be the man of the moment, and for that reason he will never be thought of on the same level as Maradona or Pele.

None of this is unfair or untrue, I'd just offer the counter that Messi was fantastic in the 2014 World Cup. They could've won that tournament with not much else behind him aside from Sergio Aguero (obviously a fantastic player in his own right) and the aformentioned anti-clutch Higuain, but that German team was super stacked and ready to be crowned. I remember that World Cup almost feeling as an expected coronation of sorts and a passing off the torch from Spain to Germany, but the fact that Messi got a rather mediocre team an eyelash from taking down what was an incredibly entertaining Cup was an accomplishment in its own right, especially when the other notable star from his generation couldn't get a decent Portugal team out of group play. 

Putting the country of Argentina aside for a second where obviously he's revered, Maradona is and will forever be a living deity in southern Italy and anyone even slightly connected to Naples, but unfortunately by the time I was able to at the very least comprehend what I was watching, he was told to go home after two games in 94.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 06:06:41 PM »
I watched the 1986 World Cup and seen enough of Messi to say Maradona was better and it's not particularly close. It's just recency bias.

Tags: