Author Topic: Universal DH  (Read 16411 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: Universal DH
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 02:28:55 PM »
its stupid. i'd rather see the giants pitchers hit than the assemblage of excrement we've trotted out so far in dh.

i hate it

but hey, at least we get to see the dodgers trot out another free agent

We must crush you.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 10:00:40 PM »
I can see why Yankees fans have always been so adamantly for the DH. If your team has money you just line up a row of hitters, a couple starters and a closer, it's real hard to lose. The Dodgers are almost unbeatable this way.

Not having to work the game around the 9 spot late in games makes your bench and most of your bullpen an afterthought. There's definitely an element of the game missing.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »
The only element of the game missing is watching pitchers flail at fastballs right down the middle and balls in the dirt
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »
The only element of the game missing is watching pitchers flail at fastballs right down the middle and balls in the dirt

Not at all. Pitchers account for usually 2 of a team's 40 or so at bats per game, especially in this era of the 5 or 6 inning starter. In exchange for those two at bats you remove strategy and the use of half your roster.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2020, 09:52:06 AM »
Imagine making an argument that it's more fun to watch utility players pinch hit for a professional bunter rather than being able to watch a professional hitter crush fastballs
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2020, 10:23:35 AM »
Imagine making an argument that it's more fun to watch utility players pinch hit for a professional bunter rather than being able to watch a professional hitter crush fastballs

Imagine obsessing on two at bats out of 40 where the batter has an 80% chance to make an out instead of a 75% chance, and dumbing down the whole game for it.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
IF ANY MORE TIME IS SPENT ARGUING ABOUT THE DH IM GONNA FCKIN LOSE IT

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2020, 12:36:48 PM »
IF ANY MORE TIME IS SPENT ARGUING ABOUT THE DH IM GONNA FCKIN LOSE IT

Maybe don't read the thread someone made about a DH, in a forum named after the DH.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2020, 01:44:55 PM »
Maybe don't read the thread someone made about a DH, in a forum named after the DH.

imagine a thread titled 'Universal DH' that actually talks about the status of how the universal DH experiment is going this year and isn't dominated by 'WAH WAH WAH THE DH SUCKS' vs 'WAH WAH WAH THE DH IS THE BEST' fuckassery

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
its still stupid as freak

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2020, 02:40:46 PM »
imagine a thread titled 'Universal DH' that actually talks about the status of how the universal DH experiment is going this year and isn't dominated by 'WAH WAH WAH THE DH SUCKS' vs 'WAH WAH WAH THE DH IS THE BEST' fuckassery

I'm the only one who has made a point actually discussing it aside from the "PiTCheRs Can'T HiT" replies.

Since everyone seemed to miss it, I'll say it again. As a fan of a big money/big market team who is dominating their league (Dodgers), I've realized why Yankee fans have always been such adamant supporters of the DH. Rather than discuss that, two Yankee fans came in here to tell me pitchers can't hit and you came here to complain.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
In the 2012 postseason, Barry Zito faced Justin Verlander twice and had 1 RBI.

In the 2012/2013 postseasons, the Oakland A’s faced Justin Verlander 112 times and also had 1 RBI.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
In the 2012 postseason, Barry Zito faced Justin Verlander twice and had 1 RBI.

In the 2012/2013 postseasons, the Oakland A’s faced Justin Verlander 112 times and also had 1 RBI.

That's a good stat.

Some of them can hit, but to me that isn't the argument. I think the fact that you have that spot in the lineup to have to use your roster and make decisions for, it makes the game a lot more interesting from the 5th or 6th inning on. So many variables, it affects when you might use a pitcher if that spot is coming up, who is on your bench, what guys can come in and play different positions. It just adds a lot to the game.

If you're a Yankee fan and you've just been watching a lineup of mashers for the past 20 or 30 years, none of that probably ever occurred to you. You don't want to see a pitcher hit and the ripple effect of having that 9 spot in the order isn't something you've probably ever thought about. I see it now with the Dodgers and it's great for us, but I still think the game is missing a lot with the DH.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
I grew up watching National League baseball, so I prefer no DH.  Mainly because it's what I like and I don't like change.  Different strokes for different folks.  Strategy vs. more offense.  I can understand both.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 12:16:05 PM »
DH RULEZ
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tags: