Author Topic: Coronavirus NFL season adaptations  (Read 29092 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Coronavirus NFL season adaptations
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
Otherwise healthy 35-year-olds are having strokes as the initial symptom of coronavirus.

The first dog was diagnosed with coronavirus after it had previously been found to jump to cats.

I'll agree there are lots of people on "both sides" with opinions. There are all those experts on the "stay the freak home" side, and all the idiots on the "get back to normal, everything's fine" side.

I keep hearing this bullshit strawman argument that people want others to get sick just to "be right." Here's my thing. I don't want anyone to get sick, even someone I'd consider an enemy, because this disease is horrible. But if you demand everything go back to normal, you go ahead with everyone who agrees with you. The rest of us will hold one big memorial in the name of your sacrifice when it's safe to come outside again.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »

Look how hard a time our government has doing anything, ever. Not just now, go back as far as you want. In this case they wanted to "quickly get money in the hands of people", what happened? The money goes to Harvard, big corporations, pet projects, like everything else it gets wasted. Now people are scrambling to get some scraps which aren't going to cover their bills, and the politicians blame each other while looking to borrow, print and spend more.

Now could you specifically name which people in the government support more robust direct payments to people and which ones ensured the rich didn't have to skip a meal? Because just chalking it up to some vague force of nature called "our government" doesn't cut it, and trying to pull a "both sides" argument completely contradicts reality right now.

There are proposals on the table right now to make $2000 monthly payments to every American until quarantine ends and the people opposing that have names and addresses. There's no logistical obstacle here, only political opposition.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2020, 03:37:20 PM »

I don't know how you get off saying most people's jobs are bullshit. Tell that to them and their families. You want everyone on a gigantic welfare roll? Some people do, and those are the ones trying to use this as an opportunity to push that crap on everyone else who doesn't want it. Again, early on in this I think everyone was on board with a temporary shutdown to avoid a mass outbreak. Except for a couple places there is no mass outbreak, so at this point it's overkill. Leaving everything shut down guarantees an economic and societal disaster worse than what were were originally trying to avoid.

My statement about bullshit jobs doesn't begrudge anyone making a living, it's just a fact and a consequence of the way our economy is set up. Life goes on, our resources aren't going anywhere, and any economic suffering (actual suffering, not postponed Disneyworld trips) as a result of the duration of quarantine is completely avoidable if we use the tools at our disposal.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »
Football teams have 53-man rosters plus practice squads plus massive coaching staffs and training staffs.

Football is a logistical nightmare to do during coronavirus, and it's less than 3 months until training camp.

Everyone who plays and is involved in a football game would need to be quarantined. Likely for months during the season. No visiting extended friends and family. None of that. Because if one football player gets it, there's a good chance that will spread like wildfire. Imagine 68-year old Bill Belichick getting coronavirus. Or 81-year old Tom Moore. Or if some player gets it, spreads it to his wife, who spreads it to her parents, and now more people are dying.

It's not that simple as saying, "We can and should be playing football games in September." Quite frankly, we probably shouldn't play football games in September. I hope they play because I love the NFL and I don't want to think of fall without it. But it's hard to think of a responsible way of doing that which doesn't completely upend players' and coaches' lives for several months.

We aren't Venezuela. Comparing the US to Venezuela is an irrelevant and useless argument.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2020, 04:05:11 PM »
Imagine 68-year old Bill Belichick getting coronavirus.

I am, it almost sounds like a Disney fairy tale. Please tell us more..........
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »
I am, it almost sounds like a Disney fairy tale. Please tell us more..........
When you wish upon a star,

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »
When you wish upon a star,

I just signed up for Disneyplus.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 05:52:30 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2020, 05:09:20 PM »
Oh ok so lets add, NJ, California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Michigan off the top of my head, they all have unacceptable numbers at the moment and that represents how many teams? So yeah stupid Cuomo, one of the few leaders actually leading (I traditionally didn't like Cuomo) actually doing a good job, lets criticize him.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the nursing home thing, it honestly doesn't make sense.

Read up on it and it will make sense to you. He mandated nursing homes accept COVID patients, exposing them to the most vulnerable people. This was on March 25 when people already knew the elderly were at risk.

Not sure your point about the other states. Every state should go at their own pace, not one size fits all. Regarding football, that's 4 or 5 months off.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
Otherwise healthy 35-year-olds are having strokes as the initial symptom of coronavirus.

But if you demand everything go back to normal, you go ahead with everyone who agrees with you. The rest of us will hold one big memorial in the name of your sacrifice when it's safe to come outside again.

To be clear, I don't favor demanding people go to work or demanding they stay home. We have a Bill of Rights, people should be able to make their own choices and take their own risks.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2020, 05:14:00 PM »

Now could you specifically name which people in the government support more robust direct payments to people and which ones ensured the rich didn't have to skip a meal? Because just chalking it up to some vague force of nature called "our government" doesn't cut it, and trying to pull a "both sides" argument completely contradicts reality right now.

There are proposals on the table right now to make $2000 monthly payments to every American until quarantine ends and the people opposing that have names and addresses. There's no logistical obstacle here, only political opposition.

Where is that money going to come from? We're over $22 trillion in debt now, mostly from entitlements. Then you have politicians--yes, sorry, on both sides--who love to stuff our money into their own interests and write these massive bills, leading to delays, corruption and waste. You seriously think we can pay people to do nothing and our economy will be fine?

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 05:19:11 PM »
Football teams have 53-man rosters plus practice squads plus massive coaching staffs and training staffs.

Football is a logistical nightmare to do during coronavirus, and it's less than 3 months until training camp.

Everyone who plays and is involved in a football game would need to be quarantined. Likely for months during the season. No visiting extended friends and family. None of that. Because if one football player gets it, there's a good chance that will spread like wildfire. Imagine 68-year old Bill Belichick getting coronavirus. Or 81-year old Tom Moore. Or if some player gets it, spreads it to his wife, who spreads it to her parents, and now more people are dying.

It's not that simple as saying, "We can and should be playing football games in September." Quite frankly, we probably shouldn't play football games in September. I hope they play because I love the NFL and I don't want to think of fall without it. But it's hard to think of a responsible way of doing that which doesn't completely upend players' and coaches' lives for several months.

We aren't Venezuela. Comparing the US to Venezuela is an irrelevant and useless argument.

Boy you guys are really defensive of Venezuela. I'll be sure not to criticize Cuba or the USSR while we're here. Pro football teams also have the best medical staff handy at all times and their players are among the lowest risk groups.

Again, there's a balance between taking unnecessary risks and just hiding at home for a year. The survival rate here is over 99%, the overall numbers are lower than past viruses and way lower than projected. It's amazing the group think here, people want to dig into the original thought of STAY HOME based on inaccurate data, and the mere suggestion that we should rethink it now that we know the data was flawed brings all kids of sarcasm and vitriol.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2020, 05:39:01 PM »
Where is that money going to come from? We're over $22 trillion in debt now, mostly from entitlements. Then you have politicians--yes, sorry, on both sides--who love to stuff our money into their own interests and write these massive bills, leading to delays, corruption and waste. You seriously think we can pay people to do nothing and our economy will be fine?

Who do you think the government owes that money to, and when and how you think it gets repaid?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
To be clear, I don't favor demanding people go to work or demanding they stay home. We have a Bill of Rights, people should be able to make their own choices and take their own risks.

Yeah, go ahead. Take your own risk. But try to contain your shock when the vast majority of people say "Yeah, that's okay, I'll see you when the experts tell me it's safe."

I would love to know what the people who want to reopen everything actually think would happen. The only thing that would happen is a lot of people would be fired for telling their bosses to freak right off.

But that would serve the "side" that wants to reopen everything because then everyone could be denied unemployment.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2020, 06:42:11 PM »
Boy you guys are really defensive of Venezuela. I'll be sure not to criticize Cuba or the USSR while we're here. Pro football teams also have the best medical staff handy at all times and their players are among the lowest risk groups.

Again, there's a balance between taking unnecessary risks and just hiding at home for a year. The survival rate here is over 99%, the overall numbers are lower than past viruses and way lower than projected. It's amazing the group think here, people want to dig into the original thought of STAY HOME based on inaccurate data, and the mere suggestion that we should rethink it now that we know the data was flawed brings all kids of sarcasm and vitriol.
It’s because it’s nice for them to sit on their lazy asses all day and watch Sesame Street with their kids in their pajamas and day drink and smoke weed and excrement post on social media and talk about how they should get Yang/Trump bux every week because they’re STAYing HOME

Once those luxuries start to come to an end because 80% of the population is on a welfare timeout they’ll come to their senses. Global food shortage, rampant inflation, economic destruction, and rioting isn’t far off. Until then let them find reasons to get upset about Trump so they can high five each other

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2020, 07:03:49 PM »
. It's amazing the group think here

Group think? You realize that Badger and JE probably wanted to punch in the face over some of my views. See there's a thing called nuance. I can have an opinion without needing to ask the Montana State militia or some or some other random dumb motherfuckers. To close your eyes and open up stuff and hope the virus will disappear won't make it so.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:05:55 PM by Miamipuck »

Tags: