Author Topic: Coronavirus NFL season adaptations  (Read 29102 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Coronavirus NFL season adaptations
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »
On the other hand I'm simply demanding a well planned reopening of the shining jewel of NNJ.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 09:12:49 PM »
To be fair neither did you. Invoking Venezuela in any conversation that's not about Venezuela is generally incoherent.

What do you think is going to happen if nobody is allowed to work for 6 months? It's not realistic. We have a lot more data now than in early March, excrement was overblown. That's fine, understandable, but it can't go on this way certainly until the fall.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 09:27:12 PM »
What do you think is going to happen if nobody is allowed to work for 6 months? It's not realistic. We have a lot more data now than in early March, excrement was overblown. That's fine, understandable, but it can't go on this way certainly until the fall.
It can and will...if the situation continues to be status quo
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:30:10 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 09:32:42 PM »

what data are you speaking about? what has been overblown?

the reason why the statistics are the way they are right now is precisely because of the measures many states decided to take in early-mid march

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »
what data are you speaking about? what has been overblown?

the reason why the statistics are the way they are right now is precisely because of the measures many states decided to take in early-mid march

Number of deaths was way overestimated even factoring in mitigation. Now we're learning a lot more people are testing to have had the virus and have developed an antibody, which means the fatality rate is much lower then originally thought, we know which groups are more at risk and why.

Not telling everyone to go out and lick a subway pole but much of the country can get back to work and be careful. It's not like the first few weeks when we had no clue what we were dealing with. Except for a few places in NY the hospitals weren't overloaded, some are now closing down. The Navy ship, Javits Center, much of that was never used.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 10:56:03 PM »
Number of deaths was way overestimated even factoring in mitigation. Now we're learning a lot more people are testing to have had the virus and have developed an antibody, which means the fatality rate is much lower then originally thought, we know which groups are more at risk and why.

Not telling everyone to go out and lick a subway pole but much of the country can get back to work and be careful. It's not like the first few weeks when we had no clue what we were dealing with. Except for a few places in NY the hospitals weren't overloaded, some are now closing down. The Navy ship, Javits Center, much of that was never used.

If things are so simple. Why are no politicians anywhere in the world agreeing with you?

I will concede the majority of politicians are absolute freaking morons, but I'm sure even they could realize this

That said hospitals across the country are going bankrupt as freak

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »

There was almost 6000 new cases in NY 4/27, you can't open up NY right now that's nuts. Anyone wanting to is a freaking idiot. There has to be a negligible amount before you start opening things up, then you have to factor in the absolute worst thing to do is put 80,000 people in close proximity while the virus is running wild.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:03:05 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 11:06:16 PM »
Not to mention hospitals across the country still have (almost) every single surgery postponed indefinitely. My hospitals losing almost 100 million dollars a month.

The thought that you want to open things up (increasing hosptial volume) when hospitals aren't even willing to freaking (most) heart surgeries right now is monumentally freaking stupid

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 12:19:03 AM »
If things are so simple. Why are no politicians anywhere in the world agreeing with you?

I will concede the majority of politicians are absolute freaking morons, but I'm sure even they could realize this

Politicians are inherently risk averse, no one wants to be seen as the idiot who opens up only to get blamed for infecting a bunch of people

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 12:30:28 AM »
Politicians are inherently risk averse, no one wants to be seen as the idiot who opens up only to get blamed for infecting a bunch of people

True but is it not a risk to be seen as the dude who locked Americans in their houses for a year and a half

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 05:44:25 AM »
You guys make such coherent, factual cases.

Seems like they're rising to the level of the conversation.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 08:57:16 AM »
Most people's jobs are bullshit. The problem is assuming they can't or don't deserve to be housed/fed/clothed if they aren't working. I'm not even disagreeing that we'll have football this year, just poking a hole in the Venezuela comparison.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »

Some politicians want to open and some don't. Let's face it, a lot of them get off on having tons of power, if they and the media had their way they'd have everyone locked up watching them all the time. Their main interest is themselves and keeping their power, so nobody wants to do anything where they can later get blamed for anything bad happening. That said, depending on where they are, there are a lot of voices on both sides.

There was almost 6000 new cases in NY 4/27, you can't open up NY right now that's nuts. Anyone wanting to is a freaking idiot. There has to be a negligible amount before you start opening things up, then you have to factor in the absolute worst thing to do is put 80,000 people in close proximity while the virus is running wild.

New York isn't the rest of the country. Most of the problem is New York, that doesn't mean people out west and everywhere else should lose their businesses because stupid Cuomo ordered nursing homes to take positive patients in with a bunch of elderly people. The rest of the country isn't packed on subway trains. A one size fits all solution isn't going to work. 

Not to mention hospitals across the country still have (almost) every single surgery postponed indefinitely. My hospitals losing almost 100 million dollars a month.

The thought that you want to open things up (increasing hosptial volume) when hospitals aren't even willing to freaking (most) heart surgeries right now is monumentally freaking stupid

They're losing money because they anticipated a lot of COVID cases that never came in, and by canceling everything else some have gone out of business. All of what they are doing and we are doing was based on doomsday projections that never happened and fear of the unknown. Now that we know more and the numbers didn't pan out, time to adjust.

Again, my point here is we can and should be playing football games by September. Whether or not you cram 80,000 people into MetLife by then is another issue, but there is absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be an NFL season.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 09:34:59 AM »
Most people's jobs are bullshit. The problem is assuming they can't or don't deserve to be housed/fed/clothed if they aren't working. I'm not even disagreeing that we'll have football this year, just poking a hole in the Venezuela comparison.

Venezuela is the most recent example of a prosperous country turning to excrement once centralized government decided they were going to take over everything. An extreme example yes, you seem to be taking it literally, but if that's the way we go that's the direction this will head.

Look how hard a time our government has doing anything, ever. Not just now, go back as far as you want. In this case they wanted to "quickly get money in the hands of people", what happened? The money goes to Harvard, big corporations, pet projects, like everything else it gets wasted. Now people are scrambling to get some scraps which aren't going to cover their bills, and the politicians blame each other while looking to borrow, print and spend more.

I don't know how you get off saying most people's jobs are bullshit. Tell that to them and their families. You want everyone on a gigantic welfare roll? Some people do, and those are the ones trying to use this as an opportunity to push that crap on everyone else who doesn't want it. Again, early on in this I think everyone was on board with a temporary shutdown to avoid a mass outbreak. Except for a couple places there is no mass outbreak, so at this point it's overkill. Leaving everything shut down guarantees an economic and societal disaster worse than what were were originally trying to avoid.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:36:33 AM by Italian Seafood »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »
New York isn't the rest of the country. Most of the problem is New York, that doesn't mean people out west and everywhere else should lose their businesses because stupid Cuomo ordered nursing homes to take positive patients in with a bunch of elderly people. The rest of the country isn't packed on subway trains. A one size fits all solution isn't going to work. 

Oh ok so lets add, NJ, California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Michigan off the top of my head, they all have unacceptable numbers at the moment and that represents how many teams? So yeah stupid Cuomo, one of the few leaders actually leading (I traditionally didn't like Cuomo) actually doing a good job, lets criticize him.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the nursing home thing, it honestly doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:55:52 AM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tags: