Author Topic: MIMS WATCH  (Read 44360 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: MIMS WATCH: Denzelta Variant
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2020, 10:49:45 AM »
Who was the last Baylor receiver to not be an NFL bust for one reason or another?

Jalen Hurd
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2020, 10:53:59 AM »
Mimssyyyyyy!!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2020, 10:56:33 AM »
To be fair the drugs didn't stop him, the nfl rules did

Which have since changed

Contrary to what many seem to believe, Gordon's issues go well beyond weed. He isn't playing in the NFL again and the new CBA won't change that.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
Jalen Hurd

Has yet to set foot on an NFL field. Not a bust yet, but neither was Devin Smith after one season.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2020, 11:24:55 AM »
Alternatively, it could be indicative of a system that knows how to find and recruit talented players, but isn't very good at setting them up for long term success as professional athletes. Kendall Wright and Corey Coleman were both great athletes with spectacular college careers, and both failed to achieve anything in the NFL. Gordon isn't the only talented Baylor receiver in the last while to flame out in the NFL, which is why I asked the question.
Does the Baylor bust rate deviate significantly from the norm? Are they producing more highly rated wr prospects than other schools? Lots to consider here.

I don't like the "X school produces bad ____" argument for all the obvious reasons but also because it kind of suggests there is a school you can take players from that won't bust at a particular position.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2020, 11:26:16 AM »
Kendall Wright and Corey Coleman play completely different positions than Denzel Mims.

Mims is a true X.  Wright and Coleman are slot receivers that can occasionally play Z. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2020, 11:36:37 AM »
Also, if you're going to make the case all Baylor WR are busts, pretending Gordon's issues have anything to do with Baylor is completely disingenuous

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2020, 11:43:43 AM »
Also, if you're going to make the case all Baylor WR are busts, pretending Gordon's issues have anything to do with Baylor is completely disingenuous

Art Briles turned him into an alcoholic

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2020, 11:49:17 AM »

I'm not actually making any case, I just see a pattern of talented college wideouts who don't realise their potential in the NFL.

Does the Baylor bust rate deviate significantly from the norm? Are they producing more highly rated wr prospects than other schools? Lots to consider here.

I don't like the "X school produces bad ____" argument for all the obvious reasons but also because it kind of suggests there is a school you can take players from that won't bust at a particular position.

I don't know the answer to either of those questions, but I don't think there's anything wrong with ascribing certain characteristics to certain schools based upon historic performance.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2020, 08:31:39 AM »
Concerned about two things:

1.  His ability to separate

2.  His route running, or lack thereof

The two go hand-in-hand

Shawn Jefferson has some work to do.

---

I really hope we consider bringing Demaryius Thomas back as a veteran mentor to Mims and Smith.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
Not sure why Cimini is saying Mims needs to play immediately and that he's the key to the Jets draft. Quite a bit overblown. It's fine if he sits for a while.  It's not like the Jets have zero WR. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »
Not sure why Cimini is saying Mims needs to play immediately and that he's the key to the Jets draft. Quite a bit overblown. It's fine if he sits for a while.  It's not like the Jets have zero WR. 

Because the beat writers don’t know anything about these prospects, they just run with whatever they hear.

They heard it was a deep WR class and are doing whatever they can to poke holes in Douglas.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
It's not like we don't already know that Lawrence Cager is going to have 1000 yards and 10 TDs this year.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
It's not like the Jets have zero WR.
True.  Between crowder, quincy, and perriman we have 1.75 wr

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2020, 10:27:31 AM »
per the Athletic

Selection: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
The pick: Second round, 59th overall (from Seahawks)
Past selections at No. 59: WR Parris Campbell (Colts), RB Derrius Guice (Redskins), DE Tanoh Kpassagnon (Chiefs), K Roberto Aguayo (Bucs), OT Ty Sambrailo (Broncos)

What it means: The Jets desperately needed to add receivers. They took arguably the best available in Mims. The 22-year-old caught 66 passes for 1,020 yards and 12 touchdowns last year, earning first-team all-Big 12 honors while leading Baylor in both receiving yards and receptions. He’s big, physical, and faster than some thought (4.38 40-yard dash). He should slide in as a Day 1 starter for the Jets with Breshad Perriman and Jamison Crowder.

Douglas says: Usually when you (call) and tell these guys (they’re getting drafted), they’re excited. There’s a lot of celebration. Denzel tonight had a chip on his shoulder. It was important to him to make these teams pay that passed him up. We can’t wait to get that type of competitor, that type of mentality in the building.

Dane says: A three-year starter at Baylor, Mims was an outside receiver in offensive coordinator Glenn Thomas’ shotgun spread attack, leading the team in receiving two of the last three seasons. He became the only player in college football to score at least eight receiving touchdowns in each of the last three years. Mims boasts the athletic skill to win at every level of the field, but on tape he was at his best on straight-line or one-cut routes (slants, posts, go’s, etc.), although he showed much improved pattern movement at the Senior Bowl. He demonstrates the ability to make impressive extension grabs, but his ball skills are inconsistent, especially with a defensive back closing on the catch point. Overall, Mims must become a more consistent route technician, but he offers the length and contested catch ability of a big receiver while moving like a much smaller athlete to create separation, projecting has a high-upside receiver.

Assessing the position: The Jets desperately needed help at receiver after letting Robby Anderson walk in free agency. Mims figures to slide in and contribute from Day 1, joining Breshad Perriman (outside) and Jamison Crowder (slot) in most three-wide sets. The Jets also have Braxton Berrios, Vyncint Smith and Josh Doctson, among others, on the roster. It wouldn’t be much of a surprise if Mims isn’t the last receiver the Jets draft. Adding him is a step in the right direction, but New York still needs more weapons for their young quarterback.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: