Author Topic: MIMS WATCH  (Read 44348 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: MIMS WATCH: Denzelta Variant
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2020, 04:07:01 PM »
Too soon to cut him?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2020, 04:16:31 PM »
He's also bigger, faster and longer than pretty much every CB he will go up against. He doesn't play to his 40 time on his routes, but with the ball in his hands, he can.

Last year, the size/speed monster in the draft was DK Metcalf. I just flipped on a Metcalf highlight reel from last year in Seattle. Metcalf isn't wide open in most of these catches (at least for the first 2 minutes I watched).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GfbbrHfEtQ

Jordy Nelson wasn't a monster at getting separation, but if you threw 1-on-1 to him in the red zone or on a deep ball, he was likely to make those plays for Aaron Rodgers. And on shorter passes, he could use his size to box out defenders and make plays.

He will need time to develop as a route runner to reach his full potential. But in the short term, he can be an effective deep threat and red-zone threat.

If Mims were 5'11" and relied on making plays in traffic, I would be more concerned. Obviously, Mims has bust potential. There are some Stephen Hill vibes to his game, but there are also some Metcalf/Nelson/Braylon Edwards.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2020, 04:31:45 PM »
He doesn't play to his 40 time on his routes, but with the ball in his hands, he can.

His straight line speed is fine.  He doesn't do much after the catch and he hasn't been asked to do anything over the middle other than the occasional slant against zone.

I don't care if he ran a 4.22 or a 4.70.  He is not a good route runner.

Like I said earlier, he can and should be a problem in the red zone.  We need help there.  It's everywhere else where I'm worried. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
He's also bigger, faster and longer than pretty much every CB he will go up against. He doesn't play to his 40 time on his routes, but with the ball in his hands, he can.

Last year, the size/speed monster in the draft was DK Metcalf. I just flipped on a Metcalf highlight reel from last year in Seattle. Metcalf isn't wide open in most of these catches (at least for the first 2 minutes I watched).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GfbbrHfEtQ

Jordy Nelson wasn't a monster at getting separation, but if you threw 1-on-1 to him in the red zone or on a deep ball, he was likely to make those plays for Aaron Rodgers. And on shorter passes, he could use his size to box out defenders and make plays.

He will need time to develop as a route runner to reach his full potential. But in the short term, he can be an effective deep threat and red-zone threat.

If Mims were 5'11" and relied on making plays in traffic, I would be more concerned. Obviously, Mims has bust potential. There are some Stephen Hill vibes to his game, but there are also some Metcalf/Nelson/Braylon Edwards.

That's an interesting comp. You probably don't remember but I wasn't big on Metcalf last year, I always have fears about players who are so physically dominant in college that they can outmuscle some of their technical weaknesses and in Metcalf's case his limited route running. Heismanberg disagreed with me and clearly he was proven right this season; if Mims can be a slightly less showy but similarly modelled option for us then I'm all for it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2020, 07:19:47 PM »
Mims is not DK

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2020, 12:29:54 AM »
Mims is not DK
You right he named after Denzel and he a real one

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2020, 12:37:18 AM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:47:24 AM by Derek Smalls »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2020, 08:53:18 AM »
Mims is already better than 80% of the receivers Sam has had to play with
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »
I don't remember Hill having that power forward ability to box out CBs either in his college career or the NFL so Mims is probably ahead of him in that aspect.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »
I don't remember Hill having that power forward ability to box out CBs either in his college career or the NFL so Mims is probably ahead of him in that aspect.

Stephen Hill played like a complete hoo-ha.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
Stephen Hill had no idea what he was doing

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
Much like Robby, Mims can be a solid number two with higher upside than Anderson ever offered. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:32 AM »
Stephen Hill played like a complete hoo-ha.

He came into the NFL to be coached by Sanjay Lal and Tony Sparano. It's not a huge shocker that he struggled to figure things out - they knew he was raw when he was drafted and he didn't come into the best environment, that receivers room was a mix of assholes and scrubs.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:41 AM »
Much like Robby, Mims can be a solid number two with higher upside than Anderson ever offered. 

I would be more than fine with this. Hopefully should be able to land a #1 next offseason

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
Mims' twitter game will be a massive downgrade from Robby.

Tags: