Author Topic: Sermon on Mount Becton  (Read 75208 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: Sermon on Mount Becton
« Reply #930 on: May 01, 2023, 09:39:04 AM »
I'll be floored if we exercise his fifth year option

Yeah.  The option and the franchise tag number are almost equal, absolutely no reason to guarantee him anything. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #931 on: May 01, 2023, 10:55:09 AM »
Becton is younger than John Michael Schmitz

and Carter Warren

All the more reason to have belief in him still. He’s isn’t bad at football. Just overweight and injured.

Here’s hoping being in better shape and surgically repairing that knee allows him to stay on the field this year
Need a new one for a new board...

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #932 on: May 01, 2023, 11:50:07 AM »
Hopefully between him Mitchell we can walk out of the season with at least one veteran OT able to both play a full season and live.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #933 on: May 01, 2023, 07:46:09 PM »
Hopefully between him Mitchell we can walk out of the season with at least one veteran OT able to both play a full season and live.

i want to root for mitchell but honestly fear for his well being if he ever chooses to play (would be off anticoagulants) due to his clotting disorder

has he even been medically cleared to return to play?

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #934 on: May 01, 2023, 07:49:14 PM »
i want to root for mitchell but honestly fear for his well being if he ever chooses to play (would be off anticoagulants) due to his clotting disorder

has he even been medically cleared to return to play?

They showed him hitting the practice field.  I'd imagine this is one of those things that's super deadly if it sneaks up on you but manageable once you've identified it?  I really don't know.  Trey Smith seems to be doing just fine though. 

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #935 on: May 01, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »
They showed him hitting the practice field.  I'd imagine this is one of those things that's super deadly if it sneaks up on you but manageable once you've identified it?  I really don't know.  Trey Smith seems to be doing just fine though. 

typically the management of a hypercoagulable disorder (propensity to develop clots) after you've already developed a clot is anticoagulation (blood thinners) for life. he wouldn't be able to play a contact sport like football as it would mean he would be at high risk to bleed anywhere, with the most feared being a brain bleed due to the nature of the sport.

if he has a hypercoagulable disorder and he decides against blood thinners in order to play football, this means he would be at high risk to clot again. the pulmonary embolism he developed could have killed him and if truly hypercoagulable, he would be at risk for something like this again.

it's good to hear he is on the field but i imagine we won't ever know the fine details regarding his diagnosis or what discussions went on in the background when he decided to play. i hope he takes care of himself and everything turns out fine.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #936 on: May 02, 2023, 04:27:02 AM »
Vinny Curry also had that and came back last season, and... I know that's not what the family or the team say but blood clots can also be a side effect of intense 'roid use.

ESPN had a story on him with quotes by his father. They say "a few months of blood thinning meds" https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35212696/jets-ot-max-mitchell-season-due-blood-clots-says-father

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #937 on: May 02, 2023, 07:35:25 AM »
It can vary.  I had a friend who had to quit contact sports the rest of his life once they discovered a massive clot in his leg that could've gone to his heart

For some it can he managed for some it's a literal time bomb

If im building the roster and my job depends on it I wouldn't he penciling him in for excrement tbh

I haven't followed his reports or anything though hopefully he recovers and can play because he was solid

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #938 on: May 02, 2023, 09:42:18 AM »
Setting aside Mitchell’s blood clots…

We get official word about Mekhi’s 5th year option today don’t we?
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #939 on: May 02, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
Setting aside Mitchell’s blood clots…

We get official word about Mekhi’s 5th year option today don’t we?
Spoiler alert: no shot we pick it up.

Maybe they try to negotiate some other deal to keep him if they want, but no shot they pick it up.

Can't commit to Becton more than a year at a time until proven otherwise. If he plays well and stays healthy, tag him and make him prove it again.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #940 on: May 02, 2023, 11:38:19 AM »
Spoiler alert: no shot we pick it up.

Maybe they try to negotiate some other deal to keep him if they want, but no shot they pick it up.

Can't commit to Becton more than a year at a time until proven otherwise. If he plays well and stays healthy, tag him and make him prove it again.

What Green Bay did with Jordan Love is interesting.  Becton's deal would have to be a lot cheaper though.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #941 on: May 02, 2023, 11:42:00 AM »
What Green Bay did with Jordan Love is interesting.  Becton's deal would have to be a lot cheaper though.
Yeah, that made me think of the extension. I don't know if it works with Becton because Becton's value also has never been lower. I'm not sure the Jets would want to commit to another year, and I doubt Becton would want to sign anything now.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #942 on: May 02, 2023, 11:44:30 AM »
Vinny Curry also had that and came back last season, and... I know that's not what the family or the team say but blood clots can also be a side effect of intense 'roid use.

ESPN had a story on him with quotes by his father. They say "a few months of blood thinning meds" https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35212696/jets-ot-max-mitchell-season-due-blood-clots-says-father

Vinny Curry had a blood clot problem, but his issues were supposedly related to his spleen which was surgically removed.

Mitchells problems as far as we know was just blood related. So similar in the sense they're both blood problems, but not the same

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #943 on: May 02, 2023, 11:53:51 AM »
Yeah, that made me think of the extension. I don't know if it works with Becton because Becton's value also has never been lower. I'm not sure the Jets would want to commit to another year, and I doubt Becton would want to sign anything now.

He's making $5M this year and if he has another year of injury problems he's going to be a FA in 2024 looking for someone willing to take a cheap risk on him. If the Jets decline his option and put an $8-10M 5th year extension on the table it would be a brave move to turn it down. Better to take the money on offer now, have a good year this year and renegotiate in 12 months' time IMO.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #944 on: May 02, 2023, 02:07:30 PM »
He's making $5M this year and if he has another year of injury problems he's going to be a FA in 2024 looking for someone willing to take a cheap risk on him. If the Jets decline his option and put an $8-10M 5th year extension on the table it would be a brave move to turn it down. Better to take the money on offer now, have a good year this year and renegotiate in 12 months' time IMO.
Can't imagine the Jets offer Becton $8M guaranteed next season right now.

Tags: