Author Topic: Sermon on Mount Becton  (Read 75236 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Sermon on Mount Becton
« Reply #885 on: August 09, 2022, 12:22:55 PM »
Saleh talking about a similar topic with Becton.

https://twitter.com/BigTicket73/status/1557044775454400512

There are certainly people I feel worse for than a multi-millionaire dealing with a knee injury. And I understand some people having schadenfreude around a guy wearing a Big Bust shirt all summer, then living up to that moniker early in camp. But it sucks. It sucks for the Jets. It sucks for him. It sucks for us. It sucks for everyone.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #886 on: August 09, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »
Mount Becton belongs right next to Mount Gholston

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #887 on: August 09, 2022, 04:03:52 PM »
Mount Becton belongs right next to Mount Gholston

Come on now. Becton did more in camp these past ten days than Gholston ever did in his career.

Injuries suck, and it sucks it happened to Becton again. He may end up being labeled a “bust” because he isn’t healthy enough to work out, but that’s not nearly the same as Vernon Gholston.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #888 on: August 09, 2022, 04:51:45 PM »
Come on now. Becton did more in camp these past ten days than Gholston ever did in his career.

Injuries suck, and it sucks it happened to Becton again. He may end up being labeled a “bust” because he isn’t healthy enough to work out, but that’s not nearly the same as Vernon Gholston.

Gholston was excrement, but he at least got on the field.

You can debate how much his weight and conditioning impacted his injuries (I have no idea, neither does likely any of us)

But more importantly is Bectons lack of contribution will have an impact on Zach, especially this freaking season and potentially next. And Zach is the future of this team. You can easily argue Gholston was a much worse player, but Gholston excrement play didnt contribute to the demise of the most important player to the future of this team

God if we would've drafted a tackle and traded Becton that would've been franchise altering

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #889 on: August 09, 2022, 04:56:16 PM »
Gholston was excrement, but he at least got on the field.

he was on the field and he literally did nothing lmfaooo

i'm here to remind you that i have the same number of career sacks that gholston does

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #890 on: August 09, 2022, 05:03:40 PM »
not being in shape earlier this offseason certainly wasn't a good look, but he was back 'in shape' for the beginning of this training camp. if he truly did balloon up to ~400 at certain points last year and his 'playing weight' was ~360 - 370 pounds, then how much weight loss would that amount to prior to the start of camp? 30 pounds?

he suffered a freak injury last year at the hands of GVR, and now he's suffered another injury that by all accounts is sequelae of the initial one.

i wouldn't call him an injury prone draft bust yet. all we can do is wait and see what happens with his recovery this upcoming year. of course, the injury hurts. for our OL this year. for becton's career progress. 

at the same time, beyond the brown stopgap signing we have to start planning for a future without him starting next offseason. sign a starter quality OL if available or draft another one before round 3. if fant again confirms himself, extend fant. have the new guy and becton fight it out for the other spot. continue to develop mitchell in the background.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #891 on: August 09, 2022, 06:56:21 PM »
i wouldn't call him an injury prone draft bust yet. all we can do is wait and see what happens with his recovery this upcoming year. of course, the injury hurts. for our OL this year.

You can call him or not call him whatever you want, but the fact is that he's an injury-prone bust.  We need to lock up George Fant long term because he's the only good tackle on the roster, and then we need to sign, draft, or trade for a premium young offensive tackle next off-season.  Relying on Mekhi Becton to start for this team in the future would be extreme negligence. 

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #892 on: August 09, 2022, 08:59:53 PM »

i wouldn't call him an injury prone draft bust yet. all we can do is wait and see what happens with his recovery this upcoming year. of course, the injury hurts. for our OL this year. for becton's career progress. 
Not to pick on you but what else can you freaking call him?

You can only surmise from being totally out of shape for most of his rehab, that he is a fat undisciplined slob, freak him. It would be absolute nuts to rely on him playing more than a game a season. It's obviously the priority to replace him and get some kind of decent replacement not only for now but next year and beyond. This year they're pretty fucked at this point. It will be fun watching ZW run for his freaking life.

Lol the Jets can't have nice things.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:03:58 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #893 on: August 09, 2022, 10:33:57 PM »
The guys knee cap fractured from getting his toe stuck in the turf. I don’t know that it’s got anything to do with him being out of shape 2 months ago.

It’s a freak accident, again. Some guys are just snake bitten and things keep happening to them. Becton seems to be one of those guys which absolutely sucks for us.

In the short term we need to bring in a guy, and preferably two. We all wanted a guy when we had a healthy Becton, now that he’s seemingly done, we need a replacement for him, and a replacement for the depth guy/insurance policy we wanted Before the injury.

Next year, we absolutely need to invest strongly in a 3rd tackle. It won’t make sense to move Becton next year, no one will trade anything of value for him, and it would be pointless to cut him, so we might as well let him compete. That said he can’t be handed a job and we need to have a legitimate competitor for that spot. In all honesty, we now basically have to bring back Fant, and quite possibly invest in him for longer than we would necessarily like to. In an ideal world we’d start developing a Fant replacement next offseason, but we can’t do that as we need to invest highly to cover for Becton. So that means that ideal scenario (2-3rd round pick on a future starting T for Fant) gets pushed to 2024 offseason

It’s all ugly and no one is going to be happy about any of the way this turned out
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #894 on: August 09, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
His knee was unstable before he got blown up by Franklin-Myers

I think he was probably dealing with a minor ligament sprain and the impact from the fall (toe getting caught in the turf) caused a more serious injury.

Huge waste of potential and talent.  His career could be over.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #895 on: August 09, 2022, 11:08:38 PM »
OT is our biggest need now.  We won’t be looking for a swing tackle.  We will be looking for a new starting right tackle.

Becton is done here.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #896 on: August 09, 2022, 11:49:42 PM »
I think we're also overlooking an important point here, which is that since before the 2020 draft Becton was Heismanberg's guy. So in a very real sense this is all his fault, and anything bad that befalls Zach as a result is on him.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #897 on: August 10, 2022, 06:34:17 AM »
Don't you know? Once you have over $1M in your bank account, you are banned from every earning sympathy from anyone.

/badger
Sir

It's $1B

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #898 on: August 10, 2022, 10:25:02 AM »
His knee was unstable before he got blown up by Franklin-Myers

I think he was probably dealing with a minor ligament sprain and the impact from the fall (toe getting caught in the turf) caused a more serious injury.

Huge waste of potential and talent.  His career could be over.

To think this could all be attributable to GVR getting beat so badly that he was thrown into the back of our left tackle's leg.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #899 on: August 10, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »
So are we gonna sign Duane Brown or what...

Tags: