Author Topic: Which WR do you want at #48?  (Read 7453 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Which WR do you want at #48?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »
One of the riskiest prospects in the draft. I keep reading people compare him to Sammy Watkins, but I see Cordarelle Patterson. He could be electric if he finds the right situation and stays healthy though.

If our draft happened to fall a certain way and we took Ruggs at 11, addressed OL, and then got Shenault later that would be pretty cool. If he was the first WR we drafted I would be slightly horrified.

Shenault is an AWFUl route runner, but he wasn't really asked to do a lot.  Lynn Bowden, who played mostly QB at UK, is a better route runner at this point and can likely be had two rounds later. 

Can't see Shenault staying healthy unless he is just extremely lucky.  He takes a ton of contact, similar to Sammy Watkins. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
I don't get why anyone would prefer Michael Pittman Jr. or Denzel Mims over Tee Higgins.

All three are solid prospects, but Higgins is just better than both of them at everything they do well.  Higgins has better deep speed.  He's a better jump ball player.  And he ran a way more diverse route tree, especially intermediately. 

I'd be excited about having any of them on this team, but Higgins is the best of the three.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 09:24:17 PM »
That is in order.  There's a slight drop off after Mims.

This class is absurdly loaded at wideout.  There are several prospects that will be around in the 4th round or later that could start for our team.

We need to cross our fingers that Van Jefferson slides way down, maybe even goes undrafted.  We'd have first crack at him there because his dad coaches our receivers. 

Bryan Edwards will be a steal.  Slipped due to health. 

KJ Hill is one of my favorite skill players in this draft class and he seems to be completely undervalued right now.  James Proche is another prospect that doesn't have much hype but he was super productive in college.

Helpful insight to drive my rooting interests.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 09:38:26 PM »
I want Robert Hunt on this team. I've been hoping for him at 68, but it sounds like he isn't going to make it that far. I know he isn't a WR, but I might well be a fan of Hunt at 48, regardless of the position pick at 11.

Wrong thread
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 09:48:24 PM »
I don't get why anyone would prefer Michael Pittman Jr. or Denzel Mims over Tee Higgins.

All three are solid prospects, but Higgins is just better than both of them at everything they do well.  Higgins has better deep speed.  He's a better jump ball player.  And he ran a way more diverse route tree, especially intermediately. 

I'd be excited about having any of them on this team, but Higgins is the best of the three.

higgins would be amazing and would be the guy i want most at 48, i just realistically don't see him lasting that long. he's big, fast/athletic, and does well with the ball in the air. could develop into a true, dependable #1 option for sam. i just think he ends up going somewhere in the 1st for all of the above reasons. i hope he's there at 48

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 09:59:04 PM »

I’m being told the main reason why Pittman would be preferred over Higgins is that he has a smoother bend/sinks his hips better. He transitions much better in and out of his breaks which is a big deal at the next level.

I’m conflicted. Not sure who I want anymore. Lol

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
I’m being told the main reason why Pittman would be preferred over Higgins is that he has a smoother bend/sinks his hips better.

Who told you that? 

They are both possession X receivers.  They'll only be asked to get open in a handful of ways.  Neither player separates that well, but Higgins is way better in 50/50 situations. 

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 10:14:30 PM »
Who told you that? 

They are both possession X receivers.  They'll only be asked to get open in a handful of ways.  Neither player separates that well, but Higgins is way better in 50/50 situations.

A former NFL intern/scout. Not trying to argue against you, I’m just presenting an alternative view from someone with a lot of experience.

I have no dog in this fight, I just am genuinely curious since there are two conflicting reports on these players. Par for the course I suppose.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 10:36:56 PM »
A former NFL intern/scout. Not trying to argue against you, I’m just presenting an alternative view from someone with a lot of experience.

I have no dog in this fight, I just am genuinely curious since there are two conflicting reports on these players. Par for the course I suppose.

As him why he’s comparing hip drop and bend for X only wideouts that win vertically, not over the middle?

Genuinely curious

Tee is much better at stemming defensive backs.

Clemson develops some of the best receiver talent in the sport.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:39:55 PM by Heismanberg »

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 11:17:12 PM »
I’m paraphrasing:

“If stemming a route is what’s the difference than I think Pittman will be ok. He is more than athletic enough if that’s a “weakness” of his.

Stemming is based off the intricacies each coach details for their passing concepts. Sure, guys are taught and have a knack for how to set the defender up but it’s usually mandated amongst the route anyway.

I can’t deny Tees skills tho. Dudes a playmaker/flashier. He will get drafted higher. I just think there may be a higher ceiling with Pittman. Older/mature, was captain, raised by a pro athlete, everything I’ve heard proves he’s a hard derriere worker. I’ll take those guys any day.”

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 11:24:55 PM »
Tee is a better prospect than Mike Williams was coming out of Clemson.  That's really who he should be compared to. 

I like Michael Pittman Jr. but arguing that a 23 year old prospect has a higher ceiling than a prospect that just turned 21 is quite a stretch. 

Higgins stems and stacks better than anyone in this draft aside from Jerry Jeudy.  Lamb does a really good job stacking vertically too.  Setting a corner up with a double move or a hesi-step can be coached, but the best can't be defended consistently.  Tee is so good at getting open vertically on hesi-and-go routes, skinny posts, and fly routes.  He isn't quick, but he gains a ton of ground as a long strider.

A lot of his game is reminiscent of AJ Green coming out of Georgia.  I don't think Tee is as good over the middle though. 

Pittman's biggest competition is probably Chase Claypool. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:27:30 PM by Heismanberg »

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 11:36:05 PM »
Tee is a better prospect than Mike Williams was coming out of Clemson.  That's really who he should be compared to. 

I like Michael Pittman Jr. but arguing that a 23 year old prospect has a higher ceiling than a prospect that just turned 21 is quite a stretch. 

Higgins stems and stacks better than anyone in this draft aside from Jerry Jeudy.  Lamb does a really good job stacking vertically too.  Setting a corner up with a double move or a hesi-step can be coached, but the best can't be defended consistently.  Tee is so good at getting open vertically on hesi-and-go routes, skinny posts, and fly routes.  He isn't quick, but he gains a ton of ground as a long strider.

A lot of his game is reminiscent of AJ Green coming out of Georgia.  I don't think Tee is as good over the middle though. 

Pittman's biggest competition is probably Chase Claypool. 

Agree in general that receiver age tends to be an underrated aspect of WR pro success. The correlation between a WR's age in college when they start putting up successful stats and how well they turn out in the pros is much higher than anyone previously thought.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »
THIS. excrement. JUST. GOT. REAL.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
THIS. excrement. JUST. GOT. REAL.