Author Topic: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams  (Read 87629 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams
« Reply #885 on: July 27, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
He never got over Bowles getting fired
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #886 on: July 27, 2020, 11:14:11 AM »
Every time I see the name Tamorrion Terry I hear it in a Key & Peele East-West Bowl voice in my head

that boy good

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #887 on: July 27, 2020, 11:25:33 AM »
He's gone.  He was good.  This team needs ammo to fill big holes, not a really good safety. He was annoying. We got a huge haul. 

Options for the future:

-Jamal Adams paid at $15-$17 million per year. Same draft picks we were supposed to have in 2021.

- An average safety on a $5 million salary, along with two additional first round picks and another 3rd rounder this year.

Joe Douglas is here to build a team from the ground up to be in the playoff mix every year for a long time.  I personally believe it hamstrings your growth to pay Adams that much.  There is a way to do it that Douglas has been a part of for years.  He's watched the best do it.  It doesn't involve caving to unreasonable, forceful demands or overspending in places where it doesn't make sense.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #888 on: July 27, 2020, 11:26:07 AM »
He's the best spur we've seen in years and I think Carroll is going to be able to do a lot of things with him.

In the box, sure.  But I'll be surprised if that defense doesn't get roasted deep a lot in 2020.  Carroll might be forced to drop Adams into coverage more than he would like.  He could thrive there given more opportunities in coverage, but we didn't see much from him as a true safety. 

Look at what Mark Barron did in that role under Gregg Williams.  A player that was considered a bust by many thrived in that hybrid linebacker role under Gregg Williams and Dennard Wilson.  I'm interested to see who plays that role in 2020.  I'm thinking it's going to be Ashtyn Davis.  You don't need an elite player there.  You need a capable one. 

My very first year coaching, I coached defensive backs.  Our defensive coordinator at that time was a former safeties coach at University of South Carolina and he loved the SPUR position.

Our head coach (an offensive minded, OL coach) was terrified of the SPUR because you could move that player around and screw with alignments and blocking assignments.  What he failed to realize, is that creative playcallers (which he definitely wasn't) could erase that player, specifically on passing downs.  That's what I saw a lot with Adams, invisible or away from the play on passing downs.  Our HC wanted to put our best athlete at SPUR because he thought it was so important and when we took him out of the middle of the field, our defense suffered as a whole.  We moved that kid back to FS and put an athletic linebacker at SPUR.  Both got scholarships.

The athletic linebacker plays ILB at Wofford because he was awesome against the run and was a terror as a pass rusher, but he didn't make plays in coverage.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:33:27 AM by Heismanberg »

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #889 on: July 27, 2020, 11:27:39 AM »
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1287748780708769800?s=20

Ian Rapoport: The tense relationship between the #Jets and Jamal Adams began to crumble when he reached out to #Cowboys players during the trade deadline in an effort to convince Dallas brass to deal for him. The culmination of all of that landed him in Seattle instead.

freak ADAM GASE LET’S GO AND RENT A PLANE WITH A SIGN TO FIRE HIM... OR KILL HIM!!!!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #890 on: July 27, 2020, 11:54:21 AM »
Sorry for the rambling.

To simplify my point: 

Mark fuckin' Barron

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #891 on: July 27, 2020, 12:09:28 PM »
In the box, sure.  But I'll be surprised if that defense doesn't get roasted deep a lot in 2020.  Carroll might be forced to drop Adams into coverage more than he would like.  He could thrive there given more opportunities in coverage, but we didn't see much from him as a true safety. 

Look at what Mark Barron did in that role under Gregg Williams.  A player that was considered a bust by many thrived in that hybrid linebacker role under Gregg Williams and Dennard Wilson.  I'm interested to see who plays that role in 2020.  I'm thinking it's going to be Ashtyn Davis.  You don't need an elite player there.  You need a capable one. 

My very first year coaching, I coached defensive backs.  Our defensive coordinator at that time was a former safeties coach at University of South Carolina and he loved the SPUR position.

Our head coach (an offensive minded, OL coach) was terrified of the SPUR because you could move that player around and screw with alignments and blocking assignments.  What he failed to realize, is that creative playcallers (which he definitely wasn't) could erase that player, specifically on passing downs.  That's what I saw a lot with Adams, invisible or away from the play on passing downs.  Our HC wanted to put our best athlete at SPUR because he thought it was so important and when we took him out of the middle of the field, our defense suffered as a whole.  We moved that kid back to FS and put an athletic linebacker at SPUR.  Both got scholarships.

The athletic linebacker plays ILB at Wofford because he was awesome against the run and was a terror as a pass rusher, but he didn't make plays in coverage.

OK, but surely the point - in fact your original point - is that this is primarily an issue when you use that player too consistently in the box/LB role, and that his ability to play deep or high is what makes him so effective. If you're parking him in the box 80% of the time as a run stuffer and pass rusher then he's not a spur any more, he's an undersized linebacker who occasionally plays in deep coverage. If you lose the unpredictability of the role then you lose the value of it.

Where I do also see a difference in respective values to the Jets and Seattle is that he is ideally suited to dealing with the move TE. We spent the last ten years trying to find a player who can handle Gronkowski, then as soon as we finally get one the fucker goes and retires. This season Seattle have to deal with Kittle twice, Zach Ertz and quite possibly Travis Kelce in the big one - Adams has a huge strategic value to them there, I think.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE

Rosetta Stoned

• Laveranues Coles
  • Holy freaking excrement
« Reply #893 on: July 27, 2020, 12:42:11 PM »
Rich Cimini, the voice of reason

2020 twilight zone confirmed.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #894 on: July 27, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
Geno Smith is Russell Wilson's backup.

Wilson goes down Week 1 and Smith leads Seattle to the worst record in the NFL. 

Time is no longer a flat circle. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #895 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »

Adams begs the Seahawks to bring in some dogs.

FYP
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #896 on: July 27, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »

I like Wilson too much to root for this but it would be hilarious.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #897 on: July 27, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
Big Joe is speaking to the media about the trade in a few minutes

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #898 on: July 27, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »

Same. To both clauses.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #899 on: July 27, 2020, 03:00:46 PM »

I feel like I've spent the last few seasons cheering against various teams in various sports purely for the benefit of my preferred teams' draft picks. It's second nature now, but it's no way to live.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: