Author Topic: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams  (Read 87521 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams
« Reply #825 on: July 26, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
walterfootball gave the Jets a D for the trade. That should tell you all you need to know.

Bill Barnwell wrote a good piece on it, I don't agree with everything he says but he says it well. He gave the Jets a B+ and the Seahawks a C+.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29538280/jamal-adams-trade-grades-seahawks-jets-safety-really-worth-much
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #826 on: July 26, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
I was willing to swallow giving Jamal a huge contract for sure. I wasn't thrilled about it but I was more than willing to do it.

However, when you factor in the "not giving a safety $17M" part in addition to a great draft haul, I think this was a deal we could not turn down. And that's before we get to Adams being a malcontent

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #827 on: July 26, 2020, 07:39:36 PM »
the "not giving a safety $17M" part

I really hate this argument, it's lazy and reductive. It might say SS next to his name on the team webpage and on the Madden roster, but we all know that he's a lot more than that.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #828 on: July 26, 2020, 07:45:16 PM »
I really hate this argument, it's lazy and reductive. It might say SS next to his name on the team webpage and on the Madden roster, but we all know that he's a lot more than that.

That's also a problem.

We were so weak at EDGE that we had to take him out of coverage situations and blitz him more.  He was completely invisible for stretches at a time.

He only had 7 pass defended in 2019.  That's 98th in the league.  He also doesn't intercept the football.  His only INT in 2019 was a garbage time INT thrown by Jarrett Stidham. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:47:21 PM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #829 on: July 26, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
I agree. That is why I was willing to do it.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #830 on: July 26, 2020, 08:12:02 PM »

I'm sure Polamalu and Reed got burnt more than a few times, and certainly had better support from the rest of their defense.

But I never saw those guys get burnt nearly as much as I have Jamal.

Jamal looked more like an elite version of Eric Smith than a poor mans version of Polamalu or Reed.

Regardless I would rather have a mediocre OL and wideout for Darnold than an Elite Erik Smith.

Rosetta Stoned

• Laveranues Coles
  • Holy freaking excrement
« Reply #831 on: July 26, 2020, 08:19:17 PM »
Jamal looked more like an elite version of Eric Smith than a poor mans version of Polamalu or Reed.

This is actually... the perfect description.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #832 on: July 26, 2020, 08:20:30 PM »
I'm sure Polamalu and Reed got burnt more than a few times, and certainly had better support from the rest of their defense.

But I never saw those guys get burnt nearly as much as I have Jamal.

Regardless I would rather have a mediocre OL and wideout for Darnold than an Elite Erik Smith.

This is a little too much.

Jamal Adams was a versatile chess piece that was an elite run defender.  He didn't make many plays on the actual football.  I posted earlier that he only had 7 PDs and 1 garbage time INT.  The only "game-changing" play he made was the Daniel Jones strip sack TD.

Comparing him to Ed Reed is just as absurd as comparing him to a better version of Eric Smith.  Reed created turnovers and scored defensive TDs.  Jamal Adams wasn't that kind of safety.  He was an undersized linebacker.  I'm very interested to see how he does against George Kittle in 2020. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #833 on: July 26, 2020, 08:45:32 PM »
again, the 'value' we got was 'good', but it points to the complete incompetence of the organization

again, jamal was a 'winner', a 'hard worker', a 'high character' guy coming out of college etc etc etc, so the talk about 'douglas wants to use these picks to build the culture and character of the team' is awfully rich.

moar picks, lets just keep amassing moar picks and draft the culture guys who may have a 25% shot (and this is being generous) of becoming as good as jamal was at his position. let's bring that player to this team so that either our googly-eyed autist of a coach (or whomever is to assume that role in the future) or our completely inept ownership group (over something as elementary and menial as miscommunication, or a lack thereof) alienate that player to the point of no return. then we can trade them for moar picks

JE brought this up. there is something absolutely insane about the mindset of this fanbase. 'let's trade our best player.....to stock up on ammo for a trade up for a QB just in case sam fails'. you don't trade your best player to leverage the backup plan to the young franchise QB already present on the team. why stop there with the needless hypotheticals. why not take it a step further. what was the point of drafting jamal adams if this was to be the result? we should have just drafted pat mahomes. right?

ok, we got good value, but the jets can't even find the money to keep their best players even while their franchise qb is on his rookie contract

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #834 on: July 26, 2020, 09:36:44 PM »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #835 on: July 26, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »
again, the 'value' we got was 'good', but it points to the complete incompetence of the organization

again, jamal was a 'winner', a 'hard worker', a 'high character' guy coming out of college etc etc etc, so the talk about 'douglas wants to use these picks to build the culture and character of the team' is awfully rich.

moar picks, lets just keep amassing moar picks and draft the culture guys who may have a 25% shot (and this is being generous) of becoming as good as jamal was at his position. let's bring that player to this team so that either our googly-eyed autist of a coach (or whomever is to assume that role in the future) or our completely inept ownership group (over something as elementary and menial as miscommunication, or a lack thereof) alienate that player to the point of no return. then we can trade them for moar picks

JE brought this up. there is something absolutely insane about the mindset of this fanbase. 'let's trade our best player.....to stock up on ammo for a trade up for a QB just in case sam fails'. you don't trade your best player to leverage the backup plan to the young franchise QB already present on the team. why stop there with the needless hypotheticals. why not take it a step further. what was the point of drafting jamal adams if this was to be the result? we should have just drafted pat mahomes. right?

ok, we got good value, but the jets can't even find the money to keep their best players even while their franchise qb is on his rookie contract

It's not about "finding the money"

We could easily find the money to pay Jamal 17 million a year. But could he ever produce that value?

What if the proposal to drastically cut the salary cup goes through with the bulk of the hit the next 2 years and suddenly jamals got a huge new chunk of guaranteed money attached to his name? Who do we cut? What positions do we skimp on signing? With Bell gone we almost certainly have a need at HB, and we have huge question marks at literally every single position on the offensive line.

Not to mention our stable or wideouts is dog excrement as well. With the exception of Crowder we're really lacking everywhere.

This team has the money for Adams, but the cost of flexability when finances could be a HUGE issue with a tremendous amount of uncertainty is far greater. Especially when the biggest needs of resources are all at positions that can be of pivotal importance for Darnold.  If you want to debate whether Adams is worth 17 million a year that's at least a point you can argue.

What you can't argue is that appeasing an All-Pro Erik Smith under team control for the next 3 years is worth handcuffing our flexibility, especially for key positions around Darnold during periods of unprecedented uncertainty

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #836 on: July 26, 2020, 09:48:02 PM »
All-Pro Erik Smith

Repeating this won't make it more true.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #837 on: July 26, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
It's not about "finding the money"

We could easily find the money to pay Jamal 17 million a year. But could he ever produce that value?

What if the proposal to drastically cut the salary cup goes through with the bulk of the hit the next 2 years and suddenly jamals got a huge new chunk of guaranteed money attached to his name? Who do we cut? What positions do we skimp on signing? With Bell gone we almost certainly have a need at HB, and we have huge question marks at literally every single position on the offensive line.

Not to mention our stable or wideouts is dog excrement as well. With the exception of Crowder we're really lacking everywhere.

This team has the money for Adams, but the cost of flexability when finances could be a HUGE issue with a tremendous amount of uncertainty is far greater. Especially when the biggest needs of resources are all at positions that can be of pivotal importance for Darnold.  If you want to debate whether Adams is worth 17 million a year that's at least a point you can argue.

What you can't argue is that appeasing an All-Pro Erik Smith under team control for the next 3 years is worth handcuffing our flexibility, especially for key positions around Darnold during periods of unprecedented uncertainty

the first sentence of your post is 'it's not about "finding the money"' and then you proceed to type an entire post talking about where the jets would be able to find the money to pay jamal and pay everybody else

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #838 on: July 26, 2020, 09:53:04 PM »
cling to the 'he's a safety' argument all you want. soon enough you'll see that the issues and problems we see here will also apply to positions on our team that you deem more valuable. don't get mad when it's time to pony up for sam's favorite weapon and we run into this excrement again

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #839 on: July 26, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
Repeating this won't make it more true.

I didn't repeat it

The previous time I said Elite Erik Smith. And per Heismanbergs reccomendations I ammended it

Tags: