Author Topic: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams  (Read 87543 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams
« Reply #541 on: July 11, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »
FWIW:

Bell thinks Adams wants to stay with team after talking to him.

Good. I agree with Bell. freaking pay the man. You're not setting an unreasonable precedent - he's an elite player, arguably the most standout talent we've had at any position since Revis. Anyone not demonstrating the same level of ability as Jamal can freak off if they try and pull the same stunt, but we should be doing everything necessary to make this guy a Jet for a very long time.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2020, 01:00:06 PM »
Get it done.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #543 on: July 11, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
It'll be interesting if there is some movement on the players requesting a spread of the 2020 COVID losses over 10 years.  If that happens and there is all of a sudden some clarity on the cap for next year, you may see the Jets make an offer this year.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #544 on: July 11, 2020, 03:43:55 PM »
It'll be interesting if there is some movement on the players requesting a spread of the 2020 COVID losses over 10 years.  If that happens and there is all of a sudden some clarity on the cap for next year, you may see the Jets make an offer this year.

Doubt it

Not only does Adams want to get paid while under team control for 3 years, he wants the kind of deal you probably still wouldn't get as an UFA.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #545 on: July 11, 2020, 04:43:03 PM »
Doubt it

Not only does Adams want to get paid while under team control for 3 years, he wants the kind of deal you probably still wouldn't get as an UFA.
If you've ever sold a house (I have), you propose an offer knowing you will accept lower if need be.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #546 on: July 11, 2020, 06:42:11 PM »
If you've ever sold a house (I have), you propose an offer knowing you will accept lower if need be.

Yeah but I don't put up my house for a million if I'm willing to accept 700,000.

The Jets literally hold all the cards. The only way Jamal should get an extension is if it's a very reasonable and team friendly one.

I think the ceiling for any Adams contract should basically be the absolute bare minimum over Eddie Jackson just to satisfy his ego. Especially considering we have Adams under team control for one more year than the bears did Jackson, and safety is one of the few positions we actually have good depth at. And the only way I'm good with that for Adams is if we still get to exercise his 5th year rookie option and basically spread the cap hit over 6 years.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #547 on: July 11, 2020, 06:56:28 PM »
Yeah but I don't put up my house for a million if I'm willing to accept 700,000.

That's literally how you sell houses. And in fact pretty much everything in a non-retail environment. Every business has a list price for its product, and every business is willing to negotiate on that list price. Think of each player as an individual business, with a product to offer (their play).

The Jets literally hold all the cards. The only way Jamal should get an extension is if it's a very reasonable and team friendly one.

Well, they don't. Jamal holds the nuclear option, which is "freak you I'm not playing". It hurts him as much or more as it does the Jets, but it still hurts us plenty.

I think the ceiling for any Adams contract should basically be the absolute bare minimum over Eddie Jackson just to satisfy his ego. Especially considering we have Adams under team control for one more year than the bears did Jackson, and safety is one of the few positions we actually have good depth at. And the only way I'm good with that for Adams is if we still get to exercise his 5th year rookie option and basically spread the cap hit over 6 years.

I agree that Jackson is probably a good negotiation point, that Jamal is worth a bit more, and that we should be spreading the cap hit as best we can. Pretty sure Jamal doesn't care what we do with the cap hit. He wants to get paid and he knows he's good enough to demand it. The headscratcher is that the Jets think an extra year of cheap Jamal is worth fighting for at the likely cost of us having his career.

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #548 on: July 11, 2020, 07:06:41 PM »
Well, they don't. Jamal holds the nuclear option, which is "freak you I'm not playing". It hurts him as much or more as it does the Jets, but it still hurts us plenty.

So he'd essential be nuking himself with the knowledge that the Jets would also get somewhat caught up in the nuclear aftermath.

Not so much the wisest negotiating/business tactic.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #549 on: July 11, 2020, 07:11:58 PM »
So he'd essential be nuking himself with the knowledge that the Jets would also get somewhat caught up in the nuclear aftermath.

Not so much the wisest negotiating/business tactic.

Of course not, although it worked for Bell. My point was that the Jets do not "literally hold all the cards".

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #550 on: July 11, 2020, 07:14:26 PM »
That's literally how you sell houses. And in fact pretty much everything in a non-retail environment. Every business has a list price for its product, and every business is willing to negotiate on that list price. Think of each player as an individual business, with a product to offer (their play).

I agree that Jackson is probably a good negotiation point, that Jamal is worth a bit more, and that we should be spreading the cap hit as best we can. Pretty sure Jamal doesn't care what we do with the cap hit. He wants to get paid and he knows he's good enough to demand it. The headscratcher is that the Jets think an extra year of cheap Jamal is worth fighting for at the likely cost of us having his career.

How many people have you known accept an offer for a house more than 25 to 30% off the listing price?

Sure you take offers less than asking, but if someone's asking price is batshit crazy you put everyone off.

And Jamals demands are freaking insane.

And Jamals freak you I'm not playing hurts him WAY WAY more than the Jets.

He's under team control for 3 years. And he's made relatively paltry earnings in the grand scheme of his career.

Sure he will walk away with a few million, but he'd be leaving probably close to 10 times more than be made on the table.

The Jets on the other hand would hurt losing a player of his calibur, but we already have a potential replacement on the roster.

He can cut off one of the Jets fingers, but the price he would pay would be losing both his legs

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #551 on: July 11, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »
How many people have you known accept an offer for a house more than 25 to 30% off the listing price?

Sure you take offers less than asking, but if someone's asking price is batshit crazy you put everyone off.

And Jamals demands are freaking insane.

And Jamals freak you I'm not playing hurts him WAY WAY more than the Jets.

He's under team control for 3 years. And he's made relatively paltry earnings in the grand scheme of his career.

Sure he will walk away with a few million, but he'd be leaving probably close to 10 times more than be made on the table.

The Jets on the other hand would hurt losing a player of his calibur, but we already have a potential replacement on the roster.

He can cut off one of the Jets fingers, but the price he would pay would be losing both his legs

TMW DCM unknowingly figures out why Jamal is is so upset with his contract.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #552 on: July 11, 2020, 11:10:20 PM »
TMW DCM unknowingly figures out why Jamal is is so upset with his contract.

That damned NFL CBA unfairly singling out Jamal giving him a uniquely inexpensive rookie contract.

It's probably because they're racist and his name is Jamal.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #553 on: July 12, 2020, 02:40:55 AM »
Okay, but that doesn't change the fact he still hasn't made much money and he's severely outplayed his contract.

The Jets owe it to him and themselves to listen to what he wants in a contract. The Jets have a ton of leverage, so they don't have to do anything.

But if Jamal is desperate enough, he can play dirty by sitting out or causing internal issues. I don't think he will, which is why the Jets probably won't budge, but if Jamal is so desperate to get paid right now, he can do things to try to make that happen. Demanding a trade to a team that he thinks will pay him is one way to do it. Sitting out is another. Pulling a Jalen Ramsey and faking injuries and being a pain in the derriere is another. I can't blame him for trying to get paid. I don't like the way he's gone about it, but I assume he will play like his normal self this year regardless.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #554 on: July 12, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »
Okay, but that doesn't change the fact he still hasn't made much money and he's severely outplayed his contract.

The Jets owe it to him and themselves to listen to what he wants in a contract. The Jets have a ton of leverage, so they don't have to do anything.

But if Jamal is desperate enough, he can play dirty by sitting out or causing internal issues. I don't think he will, which is why the Jets probably won't budge, but if Jamal is so desperate to get paid right now, he can do things to try to make that happen. Demanding a trade to a team that he thinks will pay him is one way to do it. Sitting out is another. Pulling a Jalen Ramsey and faking injuries and being a pain in the derriere is another. I can't blame him for trying to get paid. I don't like the way he's gone about it, but I assume he will play like his normal self this year regardless.

That's the point of the cba, every player follows the same rules. And good rookies will outplay their rookie contracts. Far better dudes haven't gotten new contracts paying them a bajillion dollars either.

Lamar Jackson was literally the MVP and is a QB last year. Sure he got drafted a year after Adams, but you don't see him crying that he deserves to be paid like the most valuable player in the league and that he wants a 10 year contract like Mahomes.

Adams has outplayed his contract, but he sure as freak hasn't earned the one he wants

Tags: