Author Topic: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams  (Read 87446 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams
« Reply #375 on: June 22, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
I mean I would love if the highest bidder was a excrement team, I just wouldn't expect that

Whomever the highest bidder is, will also need the cap space to sign him long term (i don't see that happening in Dallas).
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #376 on: June 22, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »
I'm glad we have a smart GM, so i'm not too worried about not receiving fair compensation.

Based on what, exactly? Signing a bunch of second tier FAs and drafting some players who we hope will be good when they see an NFL field?

This is the first test of his career as a GM and he's hardly acing it so far. Adams is a poorly advised kid with a mouth as big as his talent, but it is the job of the GM to manage people like that and keep the franchise moving in the right direction. Douglas is not doing that so far.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #377 on: June 22, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
Based on what, exactly? Signing a bunch of second tier FAs and drafting some players who we hope will be good when they see an NFL field?

This is the first test of his career as a GM and he's hardly acing it so far. Adams is a poorly advised kid with a mouth as big as his talent, but it is the job of the GM to manage people like that and keep the franchise moving in the right direction. Douglas is not doing that so far.

He won the Leonard Williams trade and i thought he did a great job at the draft.

Douglas will be fine.  And he's dealing with uncertainty due to the pandemic.

Plus, he's only been here 1 year.  You're not going to change the culture that fast, especially when you have a turd like Gase as your HC.

EDIT:  JE, i hope you realize that a lot of this crap stems from the ownership as well.  We don't even know how much autonomy JD has in his position. Hell, his HC doesn't even report to him.

DOUBLE EDIT:  What do you expect JD to do about Jamal Adams? The kid is under contract for 2 more years (plus the franchise tag option)....i don't believe the Jets are at fault here.  Adams, on the other hand, is taking an awful approach with this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:31:25 AM by MBGreen »
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #378 on: June 22, 2020, 10:29:19 AM »
Yes...the highest bidder.  I don't think it'll be Dallas.

*dcm mode engaged*

How're they going to pay him?

*dcm mode disengaged*

They don't have to pay him for 3 years

Hell at that point they can save over 40 million by cutting zeke who will almost certainly have a freak ton of mileage on him

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #379 on: June 22, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »
They don't have to pay him for 3 years

Hell at that point they can save over 40 million by cutting zeke who will almost certainly have a freak ton of mileage on him

For what the price tag will be to acquire him....they're not going to wait 3 years.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #380 on: June 22, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
For what the price tag will be to acquire him....they're not going to wait 3 years.

Jamal already said he would wait if he was traded, and he's been blowing Dallas anyway. I could easily see them letting him play out his 5th year rookie option then franchise tagging and extending him at that point.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #381 on: June 22, 2020, 10:59:22 AM »
He won the Leonard Williams trade and i thought he did a great job at the draft.

Douglas will be fine.  And he's dealing with uncertainty due to the pandemic.

Plus, he's only been here 1 year.  You're not going to change the culture that fast, especially when you have a turd like Gase as your HC.

Draft performance is still uncertain. Otherwise I agree.

EDIT:  JE, i hope you realize that a lot of this crap stems from the ownership as well.  We don't even know how much autonomy JD has in his position. Hell, his HC doesn't even report to him.

Agree 100%, but that doesn't have any impact upon how he's handling this situation.

DOUBLE EDIT:  What do you expect JD to do about Jamal Adams? The kid is under contract for 2 more years (plus the franchise tag option)....i don't believe the Jets are at fault here.  Adams, on the other hand, is taking an awful approach with this.

I expect him to communicate with Adams and keep a lid on this kind of thing. I expect players not to be saying that they were promised a contract offer in January and then after the draft and now we're in June and it still hasn't materialised.

I'm not arguing that Adams isn't also at fault here - my specific words were "Adams is a poorly advised kid with a mouth as big as his talent" - but it's literally Douglas's job to not let things like this happen and spiral out of control as it appears to be. Your opinion that he is a smart GM may be proven correct, and I hope it is, but as yet there's really nothing to demonstrate that.

I understand the desperation of Jets fans to finally get someone in charge who knows what they're doing, but you do have form for jumping the gun on these things and I think you're doing it again.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #382 on: June 22, 2020, 11:07:09 AM »

Agree 100%, but that doesn't have any impact upon how he's handling this situation.

I expect him to communicate with Adams and keep a lid on this kind of thing. I expect players not to be saying that they were promised a contract offer in January and then after the draft and now we're in June and it still hasn't materialised.

I'm not arguing that Adams isn't also at fault here - my specific words were "Adams is a poorly advised kid with a mouth as big as his talent" - but it's literally Douglas's job to not let things like this happen and spiral out of control as it appears to be. Your opinion that he is a smart GM may be proven correct, and I hope it is, but as yet there's really nothing to demonstrate that.

I understand the desperation of Jets fans to finally get someone in charge who knows what they're doing, but you do have form for jumping the gun on these things and I think you're doing it again.

To be fair to JD Jamal Adams is freaking insane. Let's just say that JD did say he was going to talk an extension with Adams. Adams is purportedly asking for 20 million a year. There's no freaking negotiating with that. The man's absolutely bat excrement insane, I don't see anything that Joe Douglas can do at this point. You either keep him, trade him, or drastically overpay him.

And I think its fairly difficult to trade him until after this season, and I'd be chipping in for a plane to fly around the stadium saying fire Joe Douglas if he pays him anything close to 20 million a year.

I don't have any idea how you deal with this. Outside of due your homework on trade interest. And see if Jamal changes his tune.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #383 on: June 22, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
To be fair to JD Jamal Adams is freaking insane. Let's just say that JD did say he was going to talk an extension with Adams. Adams is purportedly asking for 20 million a year. There's no freaking negotiating with that. The man's absolutely bat excrement insane, I don't see anything that Joe Douglas can do at this point. You either keep him, trade him, or drastically overpay him.

And I think its fairly difficult to trade him until after this season, and I'd be chipping in for a plane to fly around the stadium saying fire Joe Douglas if he pays him anything close to 20 million a year.

I don't have any idea how you deal with this. Outside of due your homework on trade interest. And see if Jamal changes his tune.

I don't think he's insane. I think he's tired of losing and/or wants to play for his childhood team close to home.

With how the NFL system works, I can't even overly blame him for any of that. I just wish he wasn't such a little excrement about it.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #384 on: June 22, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
I'd rather him go to the NFC and rot on a franchise that will be in cap hell before they know it.

Michael Gallup and Yannick Ngakoue are the best players that are reasonable trade targets. 

Jacksonville would be foolish to give up a first. 

Tampa Bay is an intriguing option.  Todd Bowles is there.

Jacksonville is foolish.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #385 on: June 22, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »

i'm all ears on what you think JD should do...he can't put a gag order on Adams like he can with coaches or other office personnel.  In fact, JD's kept his cards close to his vest....like any smart GM.

Joe Douglas was a good hire.  That's not jumping the gun....that's based on what i've seen so far, and how the rest of the league views him. He's learned under some of the best FO's in the league.  Given that i've lived through the Bradway, Tanny, Idzik and Maccagnan years....JD is a clear upgrade until he proves otherwise.  His only flaw is that he respects Adam Gase.

He's not responsible for what Adams chirps about on social media....that's on Adams.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »
even if lawrence wasn't a possibility for them, i don't see jacksonville giving up ngakoue AND a first on top for adams. pass rush is a more premium position than safety is, and they probably valuate ngakoue himself close to 2 firsts.

in any deal i think the biggest thing we have going for us RE adams is the fact that he still has several years left on his rookie deal. him stating that any trade would not even be contingent on signing a fat extension actually helps us. he is guaranteed a team two more cost controlled years for one of the best young safeties in the game

i'd do it for ngakoue and a 2nd/3rd, but we are a long ways away from this, and who knows if the situation will still be like this at that time. this thing is going to drag out and if we are to trade him, it'll be sometime later in the summer a la the Khalil Mack situation

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #387 on: June 22, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »
This is the first test of his career as a GM and he's hardly acing it so far.

This is not true.

His first major test as a GM was running a draft room during coronavirus.  While we don't know the results yet and won't for a couple seasons, he's handled his role well so far. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #388 on: June 22, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
i'm all ears on what you think JD should do...he can't put a gag order on Adams like he can with coaches or other office personnel.  In fact, JD's kept his cards close to his vest....like any smart GM.

Joe Douglas was a good hire.  That's not jumping the gun....that's based on what i've seen so far, and how the rest of the league views him. He's learned under some of the best FO's in the league.  Given that i've lived through the Bradway, Tanny, Idzik and Maccagnan years....JD is a clear upgrade until he proves otherwise.  His only flaw is that he respects Adam Gase.

He's not responsible for what Adams chirps about on social media....that's on Adams.

You manage people by communicating with them, understanding what they want, working with them to build a plan to deliver both what they want and what you want. If you can't give them what they want, you explain why you can't. You continue communicating with them.

It is possible that he has done all of these things and Adams is lying. It certainly seems the case that he's very emotional and poorly advised. But we have absolutely no evidence that Douglas is handling this as well as he could or should be; we just don't know. I think it's entirely possible that the team has mishandled this, and if that is the case then Douglas is the face of it. Maybe he was handling it perfectly and then the team pulled the rug out from underneath him, which is also possible, but it's still conjecture. That's why I have a problem with the "Douglas good, Adams bad" attitude.

This is not true.

His first major test as a GM was running a draft room during coronavirus.  While we don't know the results yet and won't for a couple seasons, he's handled his role well so far. 

Congratulations, he worked Zoom and managed to draft some players we think and hope will be good. But as you say, until we know the results it's impossible to say that he has done a good job.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #389 on: June 22, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »
You manage people by communicating with them, understanding what they want, working with them to build a plan to deliver both what they want and what you want. If you can't give them what they want, you explain why you can't. You continue communicating with them.

It is possible that he has done all of these things and Adams is lying. It certainly seems the case that he's very emotional and poorly advised. But we have absolutely no evidence that Douglas is handling this as well as he could or should be; we just don't know. I think it's entirely possible that the team has mishandled this, and if that is the case then Douglas is the face of it. Maybe he was handling it perfectly and then the team pulled the rug out from underneath him, which is also possible, but it's still conjecture. That's why I have a problem with the "Douglas good, Adams bad" attitude.

Congratulations, he worked Zoom and managed to draft some players we think and hope will be good. But as you say, until we know the results it's impossible to say that he has done a good job.
Douglas has been pretty solid in his first year.

And he’s not required to deal directly with the players, that’s what agents are for. Kinda funny that Adams’ agent hasn’t come out with any comment on this so far.

That’s why I’m thinking this is all on Adams until proven otherwise.

Tags: