Author Topic: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams  (Read 87637 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
Who has the best WR they’re willing to offer up?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2020, 04:55:22 PM »
Well, at least theres something to be excited about now.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2020, 04:55:27 PM »
It's also important to look at this from a purely economic standpoint. If we were to give in to Adams' demands to become the highest paid player on the team, our three highest paid players would be a safety, an inside linebacker, and a running back. What successful team has been built that way? Sure, we may be able to get out of Bell's contract in a year but that still doesn't make a lot of sense from a resource allocation standpoint.

I have a theory (and this isn't me taking the pee now) that any team is built around the spine, and that with a good spine you can live with mediocre elsewhere but with a mediocre spine good elsewhere won't help. So that means you build around the following positions:

- C
- QB
- RB

- DT
- MLB/ILB
- S (arguably)

What's interesting is that the NFL pays big money to a lot of outside positions - WR, OT, EDGE - but how many times do we see big talent, big money players in those positions fail to win anything despite getting paid? It's because the spine of the team wasn't good enough.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »
Joe Douglas is going to trade him for a guard
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »
Adams isn't going anywhere and, as I understand it, the new CBA makes it a lot more difficult for players to hold out so he's just going to have to freaking stew

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »
I have a theory (and this isn't me taking the pee now) that any team is built around the spine, and that with a good spine you can live with mediocre elsewhere but with a mediocre spine good elsewhere won't help. So that means you build around the following positions:

- C
- QB
- RB

- DT
- MLB/ILB
- S (arguably)

What's interesting is that the NFL pays big money to a lot of outside positions - WR, OT, EDGE - but how many times do we see big talent, big money players in those positions fail to win anything despite getting paid? It's because the spine of the team wasn't good enough.

Edge rusher and corner are more important than ILB and safety. This isn't arguable.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2020, 04:58:47 PM »

- C
- QB
- RB

- DT
- MLB/ILB
- S (arguably)

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with their six biggest cap hits:

WR, TE, OG, LT, EDGE, RT

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2020, 04:59:25 PM »
I have a theory

Find the nearest trash can
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
Edge rusher and corner are more important than ILB and safety. This isn't arguable.

You miss my point. EDGE and CB make the big plays that make the money, but without a solid spine I don't care if you've got the second coming of Revis outside, they're going to destroy you in the middle.

The list of elite outside players who have been paid big and won nothing is extensive.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »
You miss my point. EDGE and CB make the big plays that make the money, but without a solid spine I don't care if you've got the second coming of Revis outside, they're going to destroy you in the middle.

The list of elite outside players who have been paid big and won nothing is extensive.

We nearly got to two Super Bowls with elite corners and average safeties.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2020, 05:08:35 PM »
He's an elite player that plays a non-premium position. 

I'm fine with paying him because he shows up every week and plays his heart out, but if he wants out and we can get fair value for him, so be it.

His entire act this offseason has been beyond annoying. 

I've been as big a "Pay the man" Jamal cheerleader as anyone, but this is ridiculous now. Like you said, all-world talent, non-premium position.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2020, 05:09:31 PM »
It hinges primarily around two things: his dislike and fear of someone who is more listened to and respected than him in the locker room, and the need to add more offensive players to cover up his inability to build a competent offense without elite players figuring it out for him on the field. If we trade Jamal for a good offensive player I will consider that proof that my wild theory made up on the hoof is correct.

I think it’s actually simpler than that. Jamal is tired of Losing, he doesn’t think Gase can build a winner, so either pay me right now or send me somewhere else where I can at least be paid if I can’t win.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »
Just let him cry on Instagram and make him hold out.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2020, 05:10:35 PM »
We nearly got to two Super Bowls with elite corners and average safeties.

No one remembers who lost a semi final except the losers.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »
How many teams have gotten to or won a Super Bowl with dime-a-dozen running backs lately? Your argument doesn't hold water.

Tags: