Author Topic: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams  (Read 87635 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Blitz Boi Jamal Adams
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2020, 07:46:53 AM »
If the Jets told him they were going to send him a contract offer or negotiate with him and are now ghosting him, he has a right to be pissed.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »
This scenario almost reminds me of Tannenbaum jerking off Pete Kendall in contract negotiations.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2020, 09:31:19 AM »
Which we are well under.

Not to steal dcm's thunder, but the cap number this year isn't what anyone cares about. Teams are very concerned that it will drop a ton next year because of decreased revenue from COVID.  The salary cap is based on expected revenue.  Teams stuck with big contracts that spent down to the cap limit this year will be fucked next year if that happens.  Teams that left a little space this year to roll over to next year will still be fucked, but not royally.  I think the Jets would be smart to wait until next year with the downside of having to overpay more for him then along with more cap certainty.  It isn't about being cheap.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2020, 09:43:22 AM »
Teams are very concerned that it will drop a ton next year because of decreased revenue from COVID.  The salary cap is based on expected revenue.  Teams stuck with big contracts that spent down to the cap limit this year will be fucked next year if that happens.

Really? Why? They're potentially going to lose two sources of revenue, neither of which is irrelevant, but neither of which is game changing:

- Game day revenue (tickets and concessions)
- Other stadium activity (primarily concerts)

Broadcast revenue will be unaffected - if fans can't go to games then even more of them will be watching on TV, so broadcasters aren't pulling out of the contracts. Merchandising might be slightly impacted by the high street retail shutdown but my guess is that the majority of merchandising sales are done online already anyway.

I'm not hugely sympathetic to the idea of any NFL teams crying poor. I think there will be fans in the stadiums by September anyway.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2020, 09:48:56 AM »
I'm not hugely sympathetic to the idea of any NFL teams crying poor. I think there will be fans in the stadiums by September anyway.

You are going to be very fun when the second wave hits and is peaking in September
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2020, 09:52:37 AM »
Not to steal dcm's thunder, but the cap number this year isn't what anyone cares about. Teams are very concerned that it will drop a ton next year because of decreased revenue from COVID.  The salary cap is based on expected revenue.  Teams stuck with big contracts that spent down to the cap limit this year will be fucked next year if that happens.  Teams that left a little space this year to roll over to next year will still be fucked, but not royally.  I think the Jets would be smart to wait until next year with the downside of having to overpay more for him then along with more cap certainty.  It isn't about being cheap.

I don't think next year's cap has a ton to do with the Jamal contract situation, especially since we haven't done anything prior to covid being a big deal anyway.

The reality is we have Jamal under team control for 3 years, and there's little reason to give him a contract. This team literally has 100% of the leverage and Jamal almost certainly wants an eye popping contract.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »
You are going to be very fun when the second wave hits and is peaking in September

IS will be in the stands with his ventilator owning the sheeple.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2020, 10:12:40 AM »
Really? Why? They're potentially going to lose two sources of revenue, neither of which is irrelevant, but neither of which is game changing:

- Game day revenue (tickets and concessions)
- Other stadium activity (primarily concerts)

Broadcast revenue will be unaffected - if fans can't go to games then even more of them will be watching on TV, so broadcasters aren't pulling out of the contracts. Merchandising might be slightly impacted by the high street retail shutdown but my guess is that the majority of merchandising sales are done online already anyway.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/05/18/the-stadium-revenue-each-nfl-team-will-lose-if-games-are-played-without-fans/

The NFL would lose $5.5 billion of stadium revenue (the sum of tickets, concessions, sponsors, parking and team stores)—or 38% of its total revenue—based on figures for the 2018 season

This is if the whole season is played without fans.  Hopefully that doesn't happen but it is very much possible. Obviously there is a lot up in the air (no pun intended).  The point here is that teams can't afford to bank on fans being in the stadiums all year.  You have to have a plan for worse than expected scenarios.  Losing potentially 1/3 of team revenue league-wide is very significant.  I do think the league would allow some grace with the cap because there would be some teams that would be fucked if it went down in that proportion.  But it would certainly go down and teams would be smart to prepare.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 10:18:34 AM by bojanglesman »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

It's three months away. Three months ago no one was in lockdown, three months is a very long time. You can project your fears of the apocalypse into the distant future all you like but the fact is that everything right now is opening up again (granted some in a more ill advised fashion than others) and they're not locking down again. You've already seen what happened a short while into the first one, people will simply refuse to do a second one. People are simply prepared to take the risk and if it kills some people that aren't them, so be it - welcome to the me first society that we have built and perpetuated.

Anyway, that's not the point. Even in some hypothetical scenario in which everyone agrees to stay home and watch football on the TV, my point is that I don't believe the loss of gameday revenue will impact NFL teams especially.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2020, 10:21:53 AM »
Risk your life to serve me drinks!
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
It's three months away. Three months ago no one was in lockdown, three months is a very long time. You can project your fears of the apocalypse into the distant future all you like but the fact is that everything right now is opening up again (granted some in a more ill advised fashion than others) and they're not locking down again. You've already seen what happened a short while into the first one, people will simply refuse to do a second one. People are simply prepared to take the risk and if it kills some people that aren't them, so be it - welcome to the me first society that we have built and perpetuated.

Anyway, that's not the point. Even in some hypothetical scenario in which everyone agrees to stay home and watch football on the TV, my point is that I don't believe the loss of gameday revenue will impact NFL teams especially.
People will listen if there’s another lockdown.  Or they’ll be punished with fines or jail time. I know you don’t want to believe that...but that’s how the world works (with the US being the exception)
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2020, 10:41:15 AM »
Which we are well under.
Are you familiar with the concept of opportunity cost

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »
And I think Jamal will get paid...when JD deems it appropriate. In the meantime, Jamal should stop whining on social media.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/05/18/the-stadium-revenue-each-nfl-team-will-lose-if-games-are-played-without-fans/

This is if the whole season is played without fans.  Hopefully that doesn't happen but it is very much possible. Obviously there is a lot up in the air (no pun intended).  The point here is that teams can't afford to bank on fans being in the stadiums all year.  You have to have a plan for worse than expected scenarios.  Losing potentially 1/3 of team revenue league-wide is very significant.  I do think the league would allow some grace with the cap because there would be some teams that would be fucked if it went down in that proportion.  But it would certainly go down and teams would be smart to prepare.

While in sure this data is true. How much will viewership increase? Sure there's an unknown of the impact of a highly polifitical nfl putting off some viewers depending on which direction excrement goes the next few months and an election making everything drastically more polarizing and contentious. But at the same time people will be bored out of their freaking minds and there will have been a tremendous ongoing sport hiatus. Plus a ton of TV shows are getting postponed or delayed for their fall lineups, so TV competition could be the weakest ever.

Not to mention there's surely an extremely high probability that college football gets canceled. And if that's the case not only has the nfl explored the possibility of having games all weekend long, but viewership should be at record levels.

If there's no NBA MLB hockey or whatever the freak else even more people could get shuttled towards NFL.

I'm not saying it's very likely to happen, but I don't think it's completely unreasonable that the nfl could actually have all time record high revenues. Especially if the competition falters as much as it could

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
People will listen if there’s another lockdown.  Or they’ll be punished with fines or jail time. I know you don’t want to believe that...but that’s how the world works (with the US being the exception)

.... you do know which country the NFL plays in, right?

Tags: