Poll

Gord

Andrew Thomas
Jedrick Wills Jr.
Mehki Becton
Tristan Wirfs

Author Topic: Which Offensive Lineman do you want?  (Read 11226 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Which Offensive Lineman do you want?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
I also really like what Tristan Wirfs did against Josh Uche

Kicked his derriere all over the field
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
I'm hoping one of the "W W" tackles fall to #11. Wills or Wirfs in that order.

If all that is left at #11 is Thomas, I'm passing for one of the Bama receivers. Ruggs my first choice.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:38:50 PM by WW85 »

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 07:55:14 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29034722/scouting-nfl-draft-best-tackles-finding-best-fits-giants-jets

ESPN talked with talent evaluators to rank the 4 OL we've been discussing for an eternity, by attributing points in rank order (4 points for #1, etc...) Interesting note, Wirfs did not receive any 1st or 4th place votes.

TL;DR

Total Pts
1. Mekhi Becton      32
2. Jedrick Wills Jr.   31
3. Tristan Wirfs        23
4. Andrew Thomas   22

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
ESPN talked with talent evaluators to rank the 4 OL we've been discussing for an eternity, by attributing points in rank order (4 points for #1, etc...) Interesting note, Wirfs did not receive any 1st or 4th place votes.

TL;DR

Total Pts
1. Mekhi Becton      32
2. Jedrick Wills Jr.   31
3. Tristan Wirfs        23
4. Andrew Thomas   22

Tristan Wirfs is seen as a right tackle only prospect that may have to convert to guard.  I really think he can play on either side as a tackle in a zone blocking scheme because he's strong as hell and he's a great athlete.  But these evaluators, especially the old school guys, dwell on length at left tackle.

Mekhi Becton, on paper, is the best tackle prospect since Bryant McKinnie, maybe Jonathan Ogden/Orlando Pace.

Don't think we have a shot at him.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:34:35 AM by Heismanberg »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 08:35:51 AM »
Very telling stat about the Jets:

Every other team has taken at least two linemen in the top 50 over that span, according to Elias Sports Bureau research.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »
Don't think we have a shot at him.

Somebody's going to release a video of him smoking weed through a crazy bong on draft night and he's going to be available at 11

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »
Somebody's going to release a video of him smoking weed through a crazy bong on draft night and he's going to be available at 11

You have some work to do

Get on it

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
Otw to Mount Bectons house
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 03:32:53 PM »
But weed is not a problem anymore.  One of you run up to him and kiss him on the mouth, we can pick him up in the 6th round.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 03:49:59 PM »
But weed is not a problem anymore.  One of you run up to him and kiss him on the mouth, we can pick him up in the 6th round.

Someone get Mantana Soss to photoshop him into a pic with Michael Sam

Now that I'm thinking about it, into a picture with Mantana Soss*

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
Watch Marlon Davidson against Georgia

I really soured on Thomas watching him get obliterated
You were obliterated on whisky sours watching that game. : )   As much as I learn from many of your takes, in this case the idea of Thomas getting his head handed to him by Davidson is poppycock.  Having no life I downloaded Ga-Auburn, played scroll bar jockey and replayed each Georgia offensive play to check out Thomas and outside of one sack (and that was with extenuating circumstances, more on that later), I came away impressed with Thomas.  With all due respect, I thought Thomas got the better of Davidson (whom Auburn often moved around and away from Thomas). 

The one sack: 1:12 left the 1st half: Davidson did gain leverage inside Thomas' back shoulder, however on the other side of the LOS, Auburn's Derick Brown and LB Bryant stunted and Georgia's RG #77 chased Brown too far outside towards RT Isaiah Wilson and as a result was too late reaching back to cover the inside gap which gave the LB the A-gap which prevented QB Fromm from stepping up into the pocket.  The one time Davidson got the better of Thomas, Georgia's RG was really the one who screwed up.

8:32 left 3rd qtr (2nd & 8): Thomas stones Davidson, Brown makes the tackle, Davidson starts finger-wagging and strutting like Kyle Wilson while Brad Nesser & Gary Danielson give Davidson underserved ball-washing credit.

5:10 left 3rd qtr: Davidson beat on the edge ends up guilty of an ugly horsecollar tackle.

4:00 left 3rd qtr: Thomas rag-dolls an Auburn DE aside then peels off and walks a 2nd level defender down the field.

1:15 left 3rd qtr: Thomas-Davidson: Davidson gives a half-hearted effort; not a factor.

Auburn threw Davidson, Brown and a lot of 'quick' change up defenders at Thomas who imho handled himself very well.  I honestly wouldn't mind if he (as the remaining "4th" OT) were still available at #11.   *end rambling* 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
You were obliterated on whisky sours watching that game. : )   As much as I learn from many of your takes, in this case the idea of Thomas getting his head handed to him by Davidson is poppycock.  Having no life I downloaded Ga-Auburn, played scroll bar jockey and replayed each Georgia offensive play to check out Thomas and outside of one sack (and that was with extenuating circumstances, more on that later), I came away impressed with Thomas.  With all due respect, I thought Thomas got the better of Davidson (whom Auburn often moved around and away from Thomas). 

The one sack: 1:12 left the 1st half: Davidson did gain leverage inside Thomas' back shoulder, however on the other side of the LOS, Auburn's Derick Brown and LB Bryant stunted and Georgia's RG #77 chased Brown too far outside towards RT Isaiah Wilson and as a result was too late reaching back to cover the inside gap which gave the LB the A-gap which prevented QB Fromm from stepping up into the pocket.  The one time Davidson got the better of Thomas, Georgia's RG was really the one who screwed up.

8:32 left 3rd qtr (2nd & 8): Thomas stones Davidson, Brown makes the tackle, Davidson starts finger-wagging and strutting like Kyle Wilson while Brad Nesser & Gary Danielson give Davidson underserved ball-washing credit.

5:10 left 3rd qtr: Davidson beat on the edge ends up guilty of an ugly horsecollar tackle.

4:00 left 3rd qtr: Thomas rag-dolls an Auburn DE aside then peels off and walks a 2nd level defender down the field.

1:15 left 3rd qtr: Thomas-Davidson: Davidson gives a half-hearted effort; not a factor.

Auburn threw Davidson, Brown and a lot of 'quick' change up defenders at Thomas who imho handled himself very well.  I honestly wouldn't mind if he (as the remaining "4th" OT) were still available at #11.   *end rambling*

I really don't understand how you're blaming the guard on the sack.  Davidson completely out-leveraged Thomas on that play and drives him into the backfield with one arm and had him completely off-balance.  He took his lunch and Thomas ended up watching Jake Fromm get sacked from his back. 

He beat Thomas off the ball several times and drove him into the backfield consistently.  It's a heavyweight fight.  Davidson was the more powerful player.  And of course Auburn is going to move Davidson around.  He's a chess piece up front. 

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 10:10:45 AM »
Otw to Mount Bectons house

McKinney Ogden time

I pray teams get scared off by his size and worry to the point this freak falls to 11

Tags: