Author Topic: 2021 Running Backs  (Read 1249 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
2021 Running Backs
« on: January 01, 2021, 03:49:28 PM »
I don't like drafting running backs high, but we definitely need to draft at least one in the draft. Not sure any RB on the roster should be a lock to make it next year.

Fun watching Najee Harris and Travis Etienne back-to-back today. I'm not dying to pick a RB that high in the draft, but considering our need at the position is so glaring and we have extra picks, I wouldn't hate it as much as I normally would.

Anyway, Najee is out here high-jumping Notre Dame defenders.
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1345124341478875136

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
Re: 2021 Running Backs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 04:02:45 PM »
Don't waste a high pick on a RB, we have way too many holes to even consider it. 3rd round at the earliest, even then it's questionable to do it.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »
I know some people think we should draft RB, but it's ridiculously low on my list after RT, RG, WR1, TE, EDGE, CB. And if the next HC doesn't believe Sam is worth another year, QB slots in above all of them.

I won't be happy if we draft one this year at all but if we draft running back higher than the 4th round I'm gonna be pissed.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 04:49:11 PM »
I'm fine with a RB after rhe 1st round, as long as it's one that should have been a 1st rounder.  Draft Najee Harris as a poor man's Derrick Henry.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »
I know some people think we should draft RB, but it's ridiculously low on my list after RT, RG, WR1, TE, EDGE, CB. And if the next HC doesn't believe Sam is worth another year, QB slots in above all of them.

I won't be happy if we draft one this year at all but if we draft running back higher than the 4th round I'm gonna be pissed.
We don't have a running back on the roster who I love as the #1 OR #2 next season entering the year. RB is a major need for this team.

That doesn't mean you take a RB in the 1st round, but we need to significantly address the position in the offseason, whether that's signing a free agent, making a trade, drafting one guy in the first 2 days, or drafting 2 guys on Day 3.

I also would put RB over TE and RT on your list. If they take RT over RB, I'm fine with it given the positional value, but Fant is a decent enough starter under contract. TE is a non-premium position like RB, and we have better guys in house at TE.

I'm fine if they don't take an RB until Day 3, but I would like it if they took 2 guys on Day 3 if they do that. Of course, it depends on free agency and the offseason before that, too.

And I'm starting to think that if we don't take a QB at #2, we should absolutely trade down, and I think there would be a market for that. If we trade down and pick up extra picks, running back becomes even more viable.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:40:40 PM »
There are so many decent backs available in FA that I find it hard to justify drafting one early. Build the wall and I'm good with any of a variety of the available free agents.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 05:57:06 PM »
The top RBs this year were mid-low 2nd rounders (Cook, Henry, Montgomery, Chubb), 3rd rounders (Kamara, Gibson, Hunt), a 5th rounder (Jones), and a UDFA (Robinson). Multiple players on that list are probably going to be FAs this year as well.

It's just not worth spending high capital on it. If we're taking a QB maybe, else just sign a guy and maybe take a shot in the 3rd or late rounds.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 06:12:53 PM »
The top RBs this year were mid-low 2nd rounders (Cook, Henry, Montgomery, Chubb), 3rd rounders (Kamara, Gibson, Hunt), a 5th rounder (Jones), and a UDFA (Robinson). Multiple players on that list are probably going to be FAs this year as well.

It's just not worth spending high capital on it. If we're taking a QB maybe, else just sign a guy and maybe take a shot in the 3rd or late rounds.
Excuse me you forgot Frank Gore, 3rd rounder

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 06:49:35 PM »
I would be for drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. Could be convinced to grab one with Seattles 1st. It’s a huge need for this team- there’s no one on this roster capable of receiving the majority of touches next season. It’s arguably the 2nd biggest hole after QB without considering positional value.

Everyone has always argued that RB’s can be found later in the draft, but this team has yet to do that this century. I suppose a broken clock is still right twice a day, but man would it be nice to watch good RB play for once.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 06:59:57 PM »
Drafting a RB now is a waste of resources. This team is at least 2, probably 3 years from competing. That's miles on the tires of a RB in a mediocre, at best, offense.

I'd rather the picks from this year were offensive linemen, receivers, and cornerstone defenders.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 07:06:22 PM »
I would be for drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. Could be convinced to grab one with Seattles 1st. It’s a huge need for this team- there’s no one on this roster capable of receiving the majority of touches next season. It’s arguably the 2nd biggest hole after QB without considering positional value.

Everyone has always argued that RB’s can be found later in the draft, but this team has yet to do that this century. I suppose a broken clock is still right twice a day, but man would it be nice to watch good RB play for once.

The last SB winning team with a RB who was really, really good was probably Seattle in 2013 with Lynch, who they gave up a 4th rounder to get.

It's just not that important of a position in the NFL anymore. Especially if we're getting a Shanahan-style coach in, it's almost completely pointless to spend valuable resources on a RB when so many other positions on the roster need fixing.

Tags: