Author Topic: Grillin'  (Read 13196 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Grillin'
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 07:14:53 PM »
Good stuff. I’m a pretty well seasoned grill guy and smoker. Happy to share some tips.

I wanted to smoke some pork butts and a brisket but the freaking stores were sold out and I stopped bothering
Pope likes to smoke butts.  Uhuhuhuh.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
Bo, sorry about your folks. But you're making them proud.

Keep it up with the grilling. Once you get in the groove, you'll be waiting all winter for the first grill day.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 05:30:38 PM »
Salmon and asparagus.  I'm lazy and just did bbq sauce.  Wife is on some diet where sugar is murder, so she got the dusted half.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:36:49 PM by bojanglesman »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
Nice. I grilled ribs yesterday, but first I stripped the grill down and gave it a good clean. The base is starting to rust out and the shield over the drip tray has disintegrated completely, so it's time for a new one. Given I'm not spending any money on gigs or sport or travel or pubs, figure I'm going to buy myself a fancy one.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 05:45:00 PM »
Nice. I grilled ribs yesterday, but first I stripped the grill down and gave it a good clean. The base is starting to rust out and the shield over the drip tray has disintegrated completely, so it's time for a new one. Given I'm not spending any money on gigs or sport or travel or pubs, figure I'm going to buy myself a fancy one.
Go crazy with a new grill.  Get some excrement you need a truck to move.  Naaa, kidding.  I think I cooked this fish a bit hot and fast.  I'll cook it a bit lower next time.  I'm still figuring it all out.  Amateur.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »
Having a grill with a dedicated gas line was so much nicer than propane tank bullshit. Definitely loss those days

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
Go crazy with a new grill.  Get some excrement you need a truck to move.  Naaa, kidding.  I think I cooked this fish a bit hot and fast.  I'll cook it a bit lower next time.  I'm still figuring it all out.  Amateur.
I’d recommend chopping off an inch or two from the base of the asparagus as well. They’re usually fibrous and bitter tasting

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
I’d recommend chopping off an inch or two from the base of the asparagus as well. They’re usually fibrous and bitter tasting
I just ate it because I'm a bit hammered and will eat anything.  I asked the wife if she wanted to cut the end off and I got no answer.  I'm classless and have no idea.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:47:19 PM by bojanglesman »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 06:45:25 PM »
Having a grill with a dedicated gas line was so much nicer than propane tank bullshit. Definitely loss those days
Propane is easy enough to change out.  Yeah, I lose a little cap space, but it's minimal.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »
Good stuff. I’m a pretty well seasoned grill guy and smoker. Happy to share some tips.

I wanted to smoke some pork butts and a brisket but the freaking stores were sold out and I stopped bothering
I still have a tough time balancing cooking things well enough vs. burning the outside. Still figuring this grill out.  Seems to be hard to get the heat down lower without the flame going out.  I guess I'm supposed to sear things first and then turn it down. I'll burn some excrement a few times and eventually get it right.  No Bo cooking at the tailgate yet.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 07:14:24 PM »
I still have a tough time balancing cooking things well enough vs. burning the outside. Still figuring this grill out.  Seems to be hard to get the heat down lower without the flame going out.  I guess I'm supposed to sear things first and then turn it down. I'll burn some excrement a few times and eventually get it right.  No Bo cooking at the tailgate yet.
You’ll want to setup a two zone grill. One side would be high heat and the other side low (if space allows)

All grills are different so most of this will come with trial and error: basically figuring out your burners, keeping grill and ignition source clean, avoiding flare ups, etc. On a grill over the same burner you can have a difference of a couple hundred degrees in a span of 12 inches just due to the burner spitting out a stronger/weaker flame or different oxygen flow from the vents.

Going back to the two-zone thing I said, there are two trains of thought but the general concept is the same. You can go low and slow to bring the proteins/veg to temp and then hit it on high heat (smear with oil or butter if needed to char) until seared to your liking. This method is called reverse sear. For example if I’m cooking a ribeye to medium doneness (let’s say 145F) I’ll go on low heat or wood smoke (300 to 350F) until internal temp registers 135F then finish on as high flame/heat as I can get it to sear it to my liking. That 3-4 minutes or so sear will register another 5 to 10 degrees and get you to desired temp.

The opposite method would be to start your proteins on high heat to develop a nice crust and then once satisfied with how it looks, you would move it to a colder zone on your grill until it reaches temp. Both methods work well, mostly personal preference.

I would suggest a ThermoPop or comparable accurate thermometer. It’ll pay for itself by saving you from under/overcooking an expensive meal.

I’d suggest googling two-zone grilling on YouTube and some basic maintenance for a propane grill. From there it’s just practice really. Always remember, your worst bbq is basically as good as your chili recipe

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »
You’ll want to setup a two zone grill. One side would be high heat and the other side low (if space allows)

All grills are different so most of this will come with trial and error: basically figuring out your burners, keeping grill and ignition source clean, avoiding flare ups, etc. On a grill over the same burner you can have a difference of a couple hundred degrees in a span of 12 inches just due to the burner spitting out a stronger/weaker flame or different oxygen flow from the vents.

Going back to the two-zone thing I said, there are two trains of thought but the general concept is the same. You can go low and slow to bring the proteins/veg to temp and then hit it on high heat (smear with oil or butter if needed to char) until seared to your liking. This method is called reverse sear. For example if I’m cooking a ribeye to medium doneness (let’s say 145F) I’ll go on low heat or wood smoke (300 to 350F) until internal temp registers 135F then finish on as high flame/heat as I can get it to sear it to my liking. That 3-4 minutes or so sear will register another 5 to 10 degrees and get you to desired temp.

The opposite method would be to start your proteins on high heat to develop a nice crust and then once satisfied with how it looks, you would move it to a colder zone on your grill until it reaches temp. Both methods work well, mostly personal preference.

I would suggest a ThermoPop or comparable accurate thermometer. It’ll pay for itself by saving you from under/overcooking an expensive meal.

I’d suggest googling two-zone grilling on YouTube and some basic maintenance for a propane grill. From there it’s just practice really. Always remember, your worst bbq is basically as good as your chili recipe
I'll try the two zone thing.  Grill has 2 burners, so easy enough.  Makes sense.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
Got some big deer steaks from a friend who hunts.  Almost like roasts.  Marinated them in italian dressing overnight.  Trying the reverse sear thing since these things are thick.  Probably should have done that in the oven, but oh well.  Keeping the grill between 250 and 300 until its getting near final temp and then I'll sear it at the end unless its already looking done.  Hopefully it isn't too dry.

Edit: Yasssssss!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:47:56 PM by bojanglesman »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 06:35:27 PM »
Looks like they turned out nicely. I haven't had venison steaks since 2010-11. I bartered some from a hunter in exchange for some frozen seafood during my Binghamton days.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
Looks like they turned out nicely. I haven't had venison steaks since 2010-11. I bartered some from a hunter in exchange for some frozen seafood during my Binghamton days.
Maybe I can trade some for maple whisky.

Yeah they were good.  Not dry.  Should've marinated them a little longer, but still good. I've got another 3 frozen, maybe I can bring them to the tailgate this year for someone to grill up.  Have some deer burger too, that's a bit harder to figure out. I made some spaghetti sauce with it, it was fair. Maybe that's just OK for burgers.  Or we can throw it at Puck if it isn't good.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:13:37 PM by bojanglesman »

Tags: