Author Topic: LOLffensive Skill Players  (Read 29117 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: LOLffensive Skill Players
« Reply #300 on: September 22, 2020, 11:51:47 AM »
FTR, I'm not disputing the points being made

If the Jets are picking #1, Lawrence is the pick. That's an absolute no-brainer

My argument is why aren't we giving Sam Darnold an opportunity to play us out of that pick? If Allen Robinson is available, why is he not wearing green? Why aren't the TEs on this team being targeted in the passing game? Why isn't Sam allowed to audible on 4th and 1?

See: Joe Douglas offseason plan

We were not set up to compete this season. This looks a lot more like a long term rebuild than a reload.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #301 on: September 22, 2020, 12:04:19 PM »
Adam Gase’s Offense Rankings:

Scoring: 31
Total: 32
Run: 31
Pass: 30
First downs: 32
Plays per game: 31
Yards per play: 30
3rd down conversion: 28

#SamsFault

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #302 on: September 22, 2020, 12:04:30 PM »
We don't really know if Robinson is actually available

Fair enough

Is no one else available via trade or free agency? You've brought up Thomas before. (Though I've commented he might be uninterested in us, so there's that)
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2020, 12:05:23 PM »
See: Joe Douglas offseason plan

We were not set up to compete this season. This looks a lot more like a long term rebuild than a reload.

I'm okay with a full-on rebuild. But at least give Darnold a shot to show whether he could be the answer

Trevor Lawrence is not guaranteed no matter how bad this roster is
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #304 on: September 22, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
I'm okay with a full-on rebuild. But at least give Darnold a shot to show whether he could be the answer

Trevor Lawrence is not guaranteed no matter how bad this roster is...and coach

FYP

Trevor Lawrence would fail with Gase as HC

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #305 on: September 22, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »

Trevor Lawrence is not guaranteed no matter how bad this roster is

From what I've seen I think Darnold can be the guy, our struggles really haven't been because of him and our record is respectable when he's played. A line and some weapons would help him, I'm really not interested in going back to square one with a new QB learning the stuff Sam has spent the last three years learning.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #306 on: September 22, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
FYP

Trevor Lawrence would fail with Gase as HC

Trevor Lawrence and Adam Gase aren’t a real scenario. If we get the 1 pick Gase is def gone.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #307 on: September 22, 2020, 01:06:52 PM »
“We need a brilliant offensive mind to develop Trevor Lawrence.” - Christopher Johnson
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #308 on: September 22, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »
how many wins from sam in spite of gase's presence will it take to convince you guys he's the future? 3? 6?

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #309 on: September 22, 2020, 01:31:03 PM »
Trevor Lawrence and Adam Gase aren’t a real scenario. If we get the 1 pick Gase is def gone.

Totally agree because that makes sense ...but our owner's are complete fucktards and don't follow common logic
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:14:43 PM by loyaljetsfan »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #310 on: September 22, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »
how many wins from sam in spite of gase's presence will it take to convince you guys he's the future? 3? 6?
I don't care about wins, I care about how Sam plays. If he has more games like Buffalo, I'll worry about his future. Last week was fine.

I would like to see some actual good games before the end of the season, assuming we have a somewhat healthy group of skill players at some point.

The issue is that if we do win 1-2 games, we will likely get the #1 pick, and it will be very hard to pass up Lawrence.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #311 on: September 22, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »
Let's just say they trade for Robinson, and still the season is garbage and Sam looks awful. They are still in position to draft Lawrence, and he comes in with an OL already in the process of being rebuilt with Allen Robinson, Jamison Crowder, Chris Herndon, and Ryan Griffin to throw to. Nevermind Mims, Smith, and whoever else might be drafted/acquired.

Let's just keep hoarding cap space and draft picks though

That's the thing, I don't think we are. the margin for error between picking #1 and picking #3 is very small. It's not uncommon to have 2 2-14 teams in a single year. Adding Allen Robinson IMO takes us from a 2-4 win team to a 4-6 win team.

So if JD makes that move (assuming its both possible and reasonable) then he is committing to NOT picking #1 and as such is saying Sam is our guy. You can't pick #2 and get Lawrence, and there are only about 5 teams in the league who if they found themselves at #1 wouldn't pick him and those are teams with all star QBs who are under 30 (Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Watson etc). Most of that group either doesn't have a 1st round pick, or has already won enough games to assume they won't lose out to get to 2-14/3-13. My point is that no one is coming off the pick to take Lawrence, so if you want him, you have to be bad enough to 'earn' him. Allen Robinson is probably enough (barring injury to Robinson or Sam) to keep us from being that bad, but not bad enough not to pick top 7.

If JD isn't 100% sure Sam is the guy I don't think he can make that move right now. Now if come Halloween, Robinson is still on the market and we have already won 2-3 games and don't appear that we can get the #1 overall pick by just flat out sucking, then we are talking about a completely different situation. Saving Sam becomes the only logical play, and going after Robinson suddenly makes so much more sense.
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2020, 04:23:42 PM »
I doubt the Bears would trade Allen Robinson when they're still in the race, and they're 2-0 right now.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2020, 05:10:16 PM »
Allen Robinson isn’t going anywhere so long as he’s on the field.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/nyj_matt/status/1308521364299579397?s=21

Don’t read this if you’re on the brink

Tags: