Author Topic: Pass Rush  (Read 3950 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Pass Rush
« on: March 22, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
We have an offensive line thread.  Pass rush needs to be discussed.

Brandon Copeland just signed a 1 year deal with the Patriots* which leaves us with Tarell Basham and Jordan Willis as our only true defensive ends/outside linebackers on the roster.

Kyle Phillips is probably the best edge defender on the team right now.  Gregg seems to love him.  He is an interesting type of hybrid front player that can line up as a 3T, 5T, or an OLB.  He's someone we don't talk about enough. 

We have a quality rotation of interior defensive linemen with Quinnen Williams, Steve McClendon, Foley Fatukasi, and Nathan Shepherd.  Aside from McClendon, we are very young here too. 

Not sure what's going on with Jordan Jenkins but Joe Douglas seems to have a set value on him.  Maybe he comes back, but as of right now, he isn't a part of this team.

Free Agents

Jadeveon Clowney
Markus Golden
Everson Griffen
Vinny Curry
Jabaal Sheard

I think we're going to sit out on Clowney.  He's too expensive and seems more money motivated than anything else.  Curry has been linked to JD from the early in free agency.  We always have to keep an eye on former Colts like Sheard because Rex Hogan is here.  They fit the mold of the stop-gap types that JD has been adding to the roster.

NFL Draft

Julian Okwara (Notre Dame)
Curtis Weaver (Boise State)
Terrell Lewis (Alabama)
Kenny Willekes (Michigan State)
Bradlee Anae (Utah)

These are realistic options for us at DE/OLB outside of the first round. 

I'm hoping we seriously consider Julian Okwara in the second round.  He lives in the backfield (33% of his tackles are for a loss) and he creates turnovers.  He would've likely been a mid-to-late first round pick if he didn't break his leg last season.  Sitting out of the NFL Combine limits his draft stock but it could be a blessing in disguise for our team.

Keep an eye on Auburn's Marlon Davidson.  He is listed as an interior defensive linemen and should play there, but he has the ability to play standing up and he is a disruptive force against  the run and pass.  He'd be an intriguing mid-round pick given his versatility.  Reminds me a lot of Melvin Ingram. 

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Pass Rush
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 04:21:40 PM »
Actually, I'm staking claim to Marlon Davidson being a war-daddy pass rusher right now. 

I was watching Andrew Thomas to see if I could convince myself that he's worth the pick at 11 and Davidson kicked his derriere up and down the field.  Had him on skates pretty consistently.  There were some nice battles, but Davidson is very damn good.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »
Dont forget about Hank.  The inside of our defense from front to back is stout.  We just need a few edge guys.

I read some stats on twitter that said most of Golden's stats had nothing to do with him, but missed blocking assignments and the like.

I wouldn't mind bringing back Jenkins and a guy like sheard or curry.  If JD is able to some how bring those two guys back and we draft an edge rusher in the draft I'll be ecstatic with the offseason.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:39:35 PM by insanity »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »
Actually, I'm staking claim to Marlon Davidson being a war-daddy pass rusher right now. 

I was watching Andrew Thomas to see if I could convince myself that he's worth the pick at 11 and Davidson kicked his derriere up and down the field.  Had him on skates pretty consistently.  There were some nice battles, but Davidson is very damn good.

I remember hearing Davidson’s name bandied around at the combine a bunch. So you probably aren’t wrong there that he is valued quite highly
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »
Dont forget about Hank.  The inside of our defense from front to back is stout.  We just need a few edge guys.

You're right, I did forget about Hank Anderson.

I have no idea what Bowles and Maccagnan were building on defense, but a lot of the pieces just don't fit together.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 04:39:42 PM »

I have no idea what Bowles and Maccagnan were building on defense, but a lot of the pieces just don't fit together.

I believe that is because there was no plan it was just a “go get the best football players and we will put them on the field at the same time” plan. Which surprisingly works to an extent, but it will never be an elite unit that way

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »
I wonder if we'd be able to trade Henry Anderson for a late round pick.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 04:53:27 PM »
I wonder if we'd be able to trade Henry Anderson for a late round pick.

I’m sure we will try, but with that contract I’d be surprised

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 05:05:24 PM »
I’m sure we will try, but with that contract I’d be surprised

Unless I'm mistaken

If we traded him the team picking him up would only be responsible for his 2020 base salary of 7 million, and could cut him after that oweing him nothing.

If they want to keep him he'd be under for 8 million in 2021

Not expensive at all if a team thinks he would be solid full time starter. Reason the contract was so terrible for us is because he doesn't fit our team

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 05:14:54 PM »

He signed that contract two days before Maccagnan was fired.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 05:25:10 PM »
He signed that contract two days before Maccagnan was fired.

Complete dysfunction

Trumaine's contract is the worst we've ever seen.  Quincy Enunwa's injury guarantee is one of the dumbest clause of all-time as well.

He was completely in over his head.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
Complete dysfunction

Trumaine's contract is the worst we've ever seen.  Quincy Enunwa's injury guarantee is one of the dumbest clause of all-time as well.

NFL Executive of the Year 2015

#neverforget
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 07:41:24 AM »
Complete dysfunction

#ThanksCasserly
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »
Was watching a Knicks 1984 playoff game on YouTube and a guy in the crowd had a Gastineau jersey on. Good times.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 01:20:00 PM »
Manish said that we're close to re-signing Jordan Jenkins

Tags: