Author Topic: Why was Greg Van Roten?  (Read 8174 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Why was Greg Van Roten?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
Douglas added a group of tough SOBs that can play all over the line

No more excuses for Adam Gase.

This Energy
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 06:28:10 PM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
Douglas added a group of tough SOBs that can play all over the line

No more excuses for Adam Gase.
Yep. The offensive line is still below average on paper. But if we also address it in the draft, there should be enough talent and depth where it's competent. And in a 3rd year of Sam Darnold, we need to see Darnold live up to his draft stock, and we need to see Gase live up to his offensive genius mantra.

We will get a lot of preseason hype about the offense in training camp, just like last season. Hopefully, this year it carries over, at least until Sam gets coronavirus in Week 2.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »
The offensive line is still below average on paper.

It's much better than it was last season, specifically on the interior. 

Getting rid of Winters and adding a competent, steady center like McGovern fixes a lot of problems.  McGovern said himself that he's a perfectionist that hates penalties and mistakes.  Hopefully he will be the leader that unit needs.  Van Roten is another blue collar lineman that rarely gets beat. 

The left side with Fant/Rookie and Lewis worries me a lot, but at least we will be able to run inside and outside zone properly with the out there.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
It's much better than it was last season, specifically on the interior. 

Getting rid of Winters and adding a competent, steady center like McGovern fixes a lot of problems.  McGovern said himself that he's a perfectionist that hates penalties and mistakes.  Hopefully he will be the leader that unit needs.  Van Roten is another blue collar lineman that rarely gets beat. 

The left side with Fant/Rookie and Lewis worries me a lot, but at least we will be able to run inside and outside zone properly with the out there.

Do you think Lewis stays on the left? Or could GVR play on the left? I would think a stronger vet next to a rookie would be a safer play. At least at RT we will either have a very experienced Fant or a young guy in Edoga who beat him out....

I know you said GVR is versatile, I’m just not super familiar with him
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 06:38:54 PM »
Do you think Lewis stays on the left? Or could GVR play on the left? I would think a stronger vet next to a rookie would be a safer play. At least at RT we will either have a very experienced Fant or a young guy in Edoga who beat him out....

I know you said GVR is versatile, I’m just not super familiar with him

GVR is proven at right guard, but he's played some tackle.  He can play inside and out. 

Lewis needs to stay at left guard for now.  Let Harrison and a rookie compete with him for that spot. 

If we draft someone like Tristan Wirfs or Jedrick Wills, I wouldn't be shocked to see our coaching staff use them at guard early on...especially if Fant and Edoga are doing okay at tackle.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 06:45:07 PM »
Interested to see the contract here.

If Douglas got GVR for less than what we're paying Brian Winters...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »
Interested to see the contract here.

If Douglas got GVR for less than what we're paying Brian Winters...

You and me both. I feel like details to other deals have leaked by now. Hopefully he’s on another team friendly deal.

Either way I have to believe OL is done for FA. Now we need to find some semblance of an edge rusher a corner and get Robbie back for cheap

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 06:55:44 PM »
You and me both. I feel like details to other deals have leaked by now. Hopefully he’s on another team friendly deal.

Either way I have to believe OL is done for FA. Now we need to find some semblance of an edge rusher a corner and get Robbie back for cheap

I think we'll sign another tackle before the draft.  You have to fill Brent Qvale's roster spot.   

Jason Peters is still out there...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »
I think we'll sign another tackle before the draft.  You have to fill Brent Qvale's roster spot.   

Jason Peters is still out there...

Do you think Peters would come here to be a depth guy? I just think at 38 if he wants to play he wants a shot to compete to start. Technically that’s possible now, but I just don’t think anybody would believe it. If we want a Qvale guy, I imagine it’s not a guy who might retire in TC if/when he loses the job

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »
Do you think Peters would come here to be a depth guy? I just think at 38 if he wants to play he wants a shot to compete to start. Technically that’s possible now, but I just don’t think anybody would believe it. If we want a Qvale guy, I imagine it’s not a guy who might retire in TC if/when he loses the job

I think Peters would come here to start and Edoga would slide into the swing tackle role

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »

If Jason Peters gets beat out by Chuma Edoga he should retire.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
I think Peters would come here to start and Edoga would slide into the swing tackle role
If Jason Peters gets beat out by Chuma Edoga he should retire.

Oh I don’t disagree, but if we draft a rookie in round 1, especially if we trade up for an OT, that guy is locked in as a starter, so the fight at RT is between Fant (a guy we are paying basically $10 million to) Edoga and Peters.

As it stands today, Peters makes sense. But once we draft our OT I don’t think it makes sense to pay Peters $6-8 million to be a backup guy or if he beats Fant/Edoga you have Fant making $10 million as swing tackle depth.

I mean our roster is BETTER with Peters no question, I just can’t see a reason to bring him in today given what my expectations are for round 1 of the draft.

I also think if our plan is to replace the Qvale role, we can pay someone Qvale money to do so. I don’t think Peters is coming in for that price

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
Offensive line baby. What I'm talking about.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 08:35:48 PM »
While JD has done a commendable job improving the interior line

LT is still a tremendous red flag

The question is what Farts role is here and our plans for both tackle spots

Tags: