Author Topic: Eagles trade for CB Darius Slay  (Read 3931 times)

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
Re: Eagles trade for CB Darius Slay
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »
Too rich for my blood, plus this is the age where corners start to fall off a cliff

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 10:49:45 AM »
The special teams player we get in the 5th round will be so much more valuable than Darius Slay, an elite #1 CB
I get the sentiment, and I was actually going to make a joke about all of the amaaaaaaazing talent we've gotten in the 5th round, but 4 of our current starters are 5th round picks are later (Q, Cashman, Bless, Foley). 

Again this says more about our lack of talent than anything else, but we need to start somewhere.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »
The special teams player we get in the 5th round will be so much more valuable than Darius Slay, an elite #1 CB

Was there any info that we were seriously pursuing this?

We're short on starting talent and depth all over the place and you said yourself that Douglas wants to build the whole team through the draft.

If he didn't want to stay in Detroit who is in the middle of a rebuild why would he want to come here?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »
If he didn't want to stay in Detroit who is in the middle of a rebuild why would he want to come here?

He just didn't want to play for Matt Patricia. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
I'm with you on wishing we pursued Slay and worrying about trimming the fat off the roster elsewhere in order to do it (Winters, Roberts).

At this point given the remaining options on the market (Jimmy Smith, the ghost of Aqib Talib, Ronald Darby's faberge derriere), Amukamara imho is the best of a thin lot.

I'm okay with signing Amukamara for a year or so, but it's not in any way better for the team than Darius Slay could have been. 

We're in a spot where a cornerback could be our draft choice at 11.  That's just how bad we are at corner.  CJ Henderson at 11 makes more sense than Andrew Thomas right now. 

This is not a good CB draft class outside of the few guys that will go in the first round:  Okudah, Henderson, and Fulton are great prospects.  Maybe we can luck into someone like Jeff Gladney in the second. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:20:53 AM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
I'm okay with signing Amukamara for a year or so, but it's not in any way better for the team than Darius Slay could have been. 

We're in a spot where a cornerback could be our draft choice at 11.  That's just how bad we are at corner.  CJ Henderson at 11 makes more sense than Andrew Thomas right now.
I think this year makes sense to have a few serviceable corners and punt to 2021 on that position.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »

This is not a good CB draft class outside of the few guys that will go in the first round:  Okudah, Henderson, and Fulton are great prospects.  Maybe we can luck into someone like Jeff Gladney in the second. 

We had the worst group of corners imaginable last year and our defense was fine.

Our OL is what got us killed last year.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 12:45:14 PM »
Great player, not the right time to trade for him for the Jets. Perfect timing for Philly.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »
I think this year makes sense to have a few serviceable corners and punt to 2021 on that position.
We had the worst group of corners imaginable last year and our defense was fine.

Our OL is what got us killed last year.

This is what I think as well.

Yes, corner is important. But Williams figured it out this year. He's just going to have to do it again.

Free agency didn't make feel any more confident in the OL or receiving corps. So dump most of the draft capital into those positions.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »
Hahaha Darius Slay is on ESPN saying Patricia had a whole highlight clip of Slay gettin beat then posted a pic from his IG working out with Sherman saying he should stop sucking his dick and work harder

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »
Darius Slay unloads: Says his relationship w/ Matt Patricia was rough & he didn't respect Patricia as a person. Also said Patricia told him he wasn't a leader & that he had no business working out w/ Aqib Talib & Richard Sherman b/c those guys were elite & Slay was "just good."

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »
Darius Slay unloads: Says his relationship w/ Matt Patricia was rough & he didn't respect Patricia as a person. Also said Patricia told him he wasn't a leader & that he had no business working out w/ Aqib Talib & Richard Sherman b/c those guys were elite & Slay was "just good."

Even if that is true, shouldnt Patricia want his best guy working out with “elite” players in hopes he gets better and learns from those guys? The freak kind of coaching job is that?
Need a new one for a new board...

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 11:34:53 AM »
Even if that is true, shouldnt Patricia want his best guy working out with “elite” players in hopes he gets better and learns from those guys? The freak kind of coaching job is that?

It sounds like a misguided attempt at motivation, like Geg telling Prez "I've coached a lot better people than you before."

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
They're all piling on now.

Garrett Hudson @G_Hudson46

Matt Patricia is literally the worst person I’ve encountered in my entire football career. I was excited when the lions cut me. It was that bad

Garrett Hudson @G_Hudson46

He cussed out Keryon Johnson in front of the whole team because he didn’t know what year ford field was constructed
A cross-dressing limey poofter

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »
It sounds like a misguided attempt at motivation, like Geg telling Prez "I've coached a lot better people than you before."

Misguided?  Its like he was aiming to drive to Florida and ended up in Maine.  How is that supposed to motivate someone?  It's not like he said he's as good as those players, he was actively practicing with them to get better.

Makes 0 sense

Tags: