Author Topic: New York Jets 2020 Free Agency  (Read 30447 times)

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
Re: New York Jets 2020 Free Agency
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2020, 12:04:59 PM »
Unless he really likes Greg I don't know why Clowney would want to come here instead of staying with Seattle on the same deal (assuming that's an option), but if it's for one year giving him an excess amount of cash still sounds like it would work assuming we have the space.

We could also use veteran backup QB, so probably need to leave some space for that as well.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »
A signing cannot become official until there's a passed physical. 

We're in a really tough spot geographically to this stuff done.  You have to hope that the players we've added can get physicals completed by doctors outside of the organization.

---

What worries me about the NFL Draft being rushed is that medical red flags are not going to be as apparent.  In this class, if a prospect had ANY surgeries in college, I wouldn't touch him before the 5th round.

Interviews can be completed through Facetime and other apps, but medical checks and re-checks are concerning to me. 

I love the draft more than just about anybody, but it should not be rushed and it's going to be.

I think it’s going to be absolutely amazing to see how the medicals unfold with teams. Some are definitely going to slide. As such there might be a bunch of late round guys who would have gone much higher in any other year purely because no one knows the medical. The WR order I think is going to have a significant shakeup as there are just so many of them and the healthy ones will be taken first.

Guys like the following are just some names to watch with the inability for medical checks

Tua Tagovailoa
Lavishka Shenault
Bryan Edwards
Tyler Biadasz
Netane Muti

To your point I can’t believe teams didn’t force the draft to be delayed. It’s not like anyone is going to be in facilities and coaches getting their hands on the new players soon. It’s all a delayed mess at this point. Might as well push the draft back so teams “get it right”

That said if it means the Jets have a shot at some very talented prospects a bit later on than they should (perhaps Bryan Edwards in the 5th??) then I might in fact be all for it
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:45:12 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
To your point I can’t believe teams didn’t force the draft to be delayed.

The GMs basically voted for it to be delayed and Roger Goodell told them no
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »
Speculation is fun. No one has talked about him coming here outside of the "x number of players the Jets should think about signing" articles.

If we still haven't signed all of our FAs then we're probably closer to the Golden/Griffen market than Clowney.

I'd rather not see JD blow the remnants of our cap space on a rental. We might need that furtherd down the season if the injury problems aren't a one season apparition.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
The GMs basically voted for it to be delayed and Roger Goodell told them no

I hadn’t seen that. I heard that they all basically said we can make it work. But I’m thinking about it, that sounds like post decision spin

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2020, 04:12:59 PM »
It was a unanimous decision by the GMs to recommend postponing. Ginger Commish said get fucked.

Edit: shouldn't the filter have caught that?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »
Make a few more reasonable signings with cap cuts and carry the money over to pay Jamal and Sam in the future.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2020, 09:34:00 PM »
What happens with contracts, cap space, carry over etc if there's no season? Are signing bonuses paid out for the year, do they get carried forward?

Do guys on rookie contracts accrue a year? Will New rookies contracts start this season or defer a year?  Will we use the same draft order in the following offseason? Will there be a draft next offseason?

Where do babies come from?

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #263 on: April 01, 2020, 03:32:05 PM »
Clowney lowered his asking price from $20 to $17-18 a yr
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2020, 03:34:30 PM »

i was already cool with that price so long as he was, and he's come down now given the market's response towards his 20M desire. he wants a one-year prove-it deal and to re-enter as a FA next year. as others have mentioned even if we lose him well get a good derriere comp pick

we should be all over this

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »
I don't mind overpaying him as long as it's on a short-term deal.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »
AHarrellESPN:  #Seahawks and #Jets seem to be nearing on a trade that would send RB Rashaad Penny to New York. Looking like it’s gonna be a late-round pick for the 2018 first rounder.

AHarrellESPN:
Just got a text that the #Jets want WR Tyler Lockett with Rashaad Penny, but with compensation increasing to the Jets 2nd this year and 3rd next year.

Pretty sure this guy is full of excrement

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2020, 10:13:07 PM »
AHarrellESPN:  #Seahawks and #Jets seem to be nearing on a trade that would send RB Rashaad Penny to New York. Looking like it’s gonna be a late-round pick for the 2018 first rounder.

AHarrellESPN:
Just got a text that the #Jets want WR Tyler Lockett with Rashaad Penny, but with compensation increasing to the Jets 2nd this year and 3rd next year.

No chance in hell we trade a 2and round pick for a wr in this draft

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:41 PM »
No chance in hell we trade a 2and round pick for a wr in this draft

Tyler Lockett is an exceptional talent. 

But the trade for Rashaad Penny makes no sense.  He is recovering from a serious knee injury and physicals cannot be completed for who knows how long. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »

AHarrellESPN:

I googled him.... and I can’t find him. So either he is brand spanking new, or this is a fake BS account. Given he has 20 something tweets, I’m going with BS trying to seem real.

Also Penny and Lockett wouldn’t exactly help us a bunch. I mean we are better with them than we are right now, but if we utilize the mid round pick well, they could give us as much or more

Tags: