Author Topic: New York Jets 2020 Free Agency  (Read 30449 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: New York Jets 2020 Free Agency
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
Also why is everyone drooling over the guy with three sacks last season?

3 is pretty good by NY Jets standards.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »
3 is pretty good by NY Jets standards.

The dumbass has a point. (It's about freaking time)
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #242 on: March 30, 2020, 08:53:01 AM »
Jason_OTC
@Jason_OTC
·
35m

Many teams have not actually signed deals with the players they signed. Jets in particular have done few officially. NFL cap numbers are only going to reflect official signing of which the jets have very few

Ok there it is.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #243 on: March 30, 2020, 09:03:14 AM »
Jason_OTC
@Jason_OTC
·
35m

Many teams have not actually signed deals with the players they signed. Jets in particular have done few officially. NFL cap numbers are only going to reflect official signing of which the jets have very few
Yep. Not sure why Yates put out those numbers when they are clearly misleading to dumbasses like me.

OTC:  The Jets official signings are Poole, Lewis, Jackson, and Hewitt. The numbers from ESPN would not include McGovern, Fant, Perriman, Maulet, Desir, Andrews, Burgess, Jenkins, and Onwuasor
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:22:14 AM by bojanglesman »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »
Yep. Not sure why Yates out out those numbers when they are clearly misleading to dumbasses like me.

OTC:  The Jets official signings are Poole, Lewis, Jackson, and Hewitt. The numbers from ESPN would not include McGovern, Fant, Perriman, Maulet, Desir, Andrews, Burgess, Jenkins, and Onwuasor

What about Van Roten
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2020, 09:07:00 AM »
What about Van Roten
At this point they are all wrong anyway, so who cares, except dcm.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »

His underlying stats would suggest that will regress to the mean, much like Vic Beasley's 2016 in reverse

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2020, 09:16:03 AM »

Because he's a dominant edge presence.  He is one of the more disruptive players in the game and has to be accounted for on every snap. 

If you sign a player like Clowney that is clearly motivated by money on a one year, prove it contract, he will dominate. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
A signing cannot become official until there's a passed physical. 

We're in a really tough spot geographically to this stuff done.  You have to hope that the players we've added can get physicals completed by doctors outside of the organization.

---

What worries me about the NFL Draft being rushed is that medical red flags are not going to be as apparent.  In this class, if a prospect had ANY surgeries in college, I wouldn't touch him before the 5th round.

Interviews can be completed through Facetime and other apps, but medical checks and re-checks are concerning to me. 

I love the draft more than just about anybody, but it should not be rushed and it's going to be.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2020, 10:18:29 AM »
Because he's a dominant edge presence.  He is one of the more disruptive players in the game and has to be accounted for on every snap. 

If you sign a player like Clowney that is clearly motivated by money on a one year, prove it contract, he will dominate. 

I agree with this. The strategy hasn't been a big free agency splash but if that left the money for Clowney it's worth doing. Especially on a short deal if that's possible.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2020, 10:23:30 AM »
I agree with this. The strategy hasn't been a big free agency splash but if that left the money for Clowney it's worth doing. Especially on a short deal if that's possible.

If Clowney doesn't fit into our locker room and/or Joe Douglas doesn't see him as a fit, we still have to go out and add some edge players.

Vinny Curry has been linked to us since the start of free agency and he would likely take an inexpensive, one year deal...similar to most of the additions JD has mad.

The only player Douglas has committed to for more than one season is Connor McGovern.  The blueprint is very clear right now.  He's tearing down the walls and building up the foundation through the NFL Draft. 

He is going to fill holes and create competition in free agency, but no starting spots are guaranteed at these positions.  He wants to build a team of "his" guys, unlike what we've seen in the past from Tannebaum, Idzik, and Maccagnan.  They would sign or trade for just about anybody.  Douglas has reminded me of Eric Mangini as an evaluator from the start.  He has a price, he sticks to it.  He has a particular player that he likes and he'll bring in those guys. 

He didn't see too much in Robby Anderson and that's fine. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:25:41 AM by Heismanberg »

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:44 AM »

Clowney is an interesting investment opportunity.  Overpaying him on a 1 year deal could get you good production (motivation) and a nice comp pick

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2020, 11:19:42 AM »
Clowney is an interesting investment opportunity.  Overpaying him on a 1 year deal could get you good production (motivation) and a nice comp pick

This is correct

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Clowney isn't signing that deal.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
Clowney isn't signing that deal.

It's been talked about since Seattle let him walk.

He misplayed his market and wants to sign a one year deal for $18M plus and then re-enter free agency in 2021. 

Tags: