Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358684 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #5370 on: February 17, 2023, 07:08:19 AM »
I get it for free

I really don't know what's worse...you Americans shooting each other up in malls/universities or charging a ransom for medication.  Either way, you die.
But we have more fun?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #5371 on: February 17, 2023, 07:13:37 AM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5372 on: February 17, 2023, 07:18:49 AM »
just like blonds?
I wouldn't know, I missed the fun boat.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5373 on: February 17, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
So the TLDR is Moderna thinks the life saving vaccine that crippled a global pandemic should be less than the price of a video game instead of less than the price of a hamburger?

The difference of course being, poor and/or old people don't die because they couldn't afford to play Madden.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #5374 on: February 18, 2023, 01:33:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that. My wife's been in the long-Covid boat since Christmas 2021. My boss since April 2020. As with them, I hope it dissipates for you soon.
Thanks Alio.  Best wishes to yours as well.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5375 on: February 21, 2023, 07:58:10 PM »
Thanks Alio.  Best wishes to yours as well.

Thanks, brother.

Here's a really great article for anyone with an interest in long-Covid. I disagree with the whole "it's over" attitude, despite things being significantly better than the past 3 years at this time. We need to "fix" long-Covid and then this is "over." Hopefully, we're on that path now: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/long-covid-now-looks-like-a-neurological-disease-helping-doctors-to-focus-treatments/
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5376 on: February 21, 2023, 09:23:29 PM »
The difference of course being, poor and/or old people don't die because they couldn't afford to play Madden.

I work a state hospital

Poor and old (poor) people don't pay for anything

But I am sorry for the excrement yall are dealing with

And I'm not trying to turn this into some political thing about whether healthcare should be free or not.

Just suggesting I don't think it's fair with a life saving vaccine for 50$ being lumped in with some of the more ridiculous price gouging we've seen in Healthcare
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:25:07 PM by dcm1602 »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5377 on: February 22, 2023, 10:32:32 AM »
I work a state hospital

Poor and old (poor) people don't pay for anything

But I am sorry for the excrement yall are dealing with

And I'm not trying to turn this into some political thing about whether healthcare should be free or not.

Just suggesting I don't think it's fair with a life saving vaccine for 50$ being lumped in with some of the more ridiculous price gouging we've seen in Healthcare

You inadvertently identified the problem. It's not that an overinflated covid vaccine is more ridiculous than any other medical treatment, it's that the price of it all is ridiculous.

Moderna/Pfizer can't even make the standard argument that they need to recoup the expense of R&D on this one. The US government handed them a billion dollars to fund it upfront. I'm not even saying Moderna has no right to increase the cost. But more than 3.5 times the current cost? Hard no.

Also, I didn't really care much about the topic, but the whole "simple mathematics" argument was being echoed repeatedly outside of just JE, and it's completely invalid because as I illustrated, the drug was never "free" in the first place.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5378 on: February 22, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »
Didn't these companies spend years/decades and billions of dollars researching the technology before the US govt jumped in and gave them some money when covid happened?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5379 on: February 22, 2023, 11:53:31 AM »
You inadvertently identified the problem. It's not that an overinflated covid vaccine is more ridiculous than any other medical treatment, it's that the price of it all is ridiculous.

Moderna/Pfizer can't even make the standard argument that they need to recoup the expense of R&D on this one. The US government handed them a billion dollars to fund it upfront. I'm not even saying Moderna has no right to increase the cost. But more than 3.5 times the current cost? Hard no.

Also, I didn't really care much about the topic, but the whole "simple mathematics" argument was being echoed repeatedly outside of just JE, and it's completely invalid because as I illustrated, the drug was never "free" in the first place.

To be clear: I am 100% in favour of essential and/or prescribed pharmaceuticals being free, or almost free, to their recipients. My objection was very specifically about idiots on Twitter making arguments that don't conform to basic logic and thus rendering those arguments worthless. If they can't understand what your point is and how to make it, it's not worth discussing.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5380 on: February 22, 2023, 08:08:58 PM »
Didn't these companies spend years/decades and billions of dollars researching the technology before the US govt jumped in and gave them some money when covid happened?

I could waste the time googling it but I won't, but I recall seeing somewhere that the covid vaccine was Moderna's first successful formula. MRNA research has been around a while, but it hasn't been successful. Until, again, the US government threw a billion dollars at it.

To be clear: I am 100% in favour of essential and/or prescribed pharmaceuticals being free, or almost free, to their recipients. My objection was very specifically about idiots on Twitter making arguments that don't conform to basic logic and thus rendering those arguments worthless. If they can't understand what your point is and how to make it, it's not worth discussing.

I hear you. And it wasn't meant to be a direct attack on you. I saw the same thing repeated over and over elsewhere, including the replies to the original tweet, and it was simply incorrect. The whole "6 times zero is zero" was wrong right from the start. Whether that was because the OP thought everyone knew the vax wasn't "free" in the first place, or he was being lazy, I don't know. But it doesn't change the fact that Moderna was going to charge multiples of the original cost, which wasn't zero. And getting called to testify to the Senate as to why changed his tune quite quickly.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5381 on: February 22, 2023, 08:33:03 PM »
I could waste the time googling it but I won't, but I recall seeing somewhere that the covid vaccine was Moderna's first successful formula. MRNA research has been around a while, but it hasn't been successful. Until, again, the US government threw a billion dollars at it.

I hear you. And it wasn't meant to be a direct attack on you. I saw the same thing repeated over and over elsewhere, including the replies to the original tweet, and it was simply incorrect. The whole "6 times zero is zero" was wrong right from the start. Whether that was because the OP thought everyone knew the vax wasn't "free" in the first place, or he was being lazy, I don't know. But it doesn't change the fact that Moderna was going to charge multiples of the original cost, which wasn't zero. And getting called to testify to the Senate as to why changed his tune quite quickly.

Even if it was their first successful use of it, which I'll take your word for it.

This was still a companies lifetime cultivation.

Imagine spending 20 years and billions of dollars developing a plane, then having the military jump in right at the end with some funding because there's a war and making them entitled to your careers work.

This companies work in a manner of speaking saved the world. I'm totally okay with them charging 50$ now that the world's not on fire

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5382 on: February 23, 2023, 09:04:44 AM »
Even if it was their first successful use of it, which I'll take your word for it.

This was still a companies lifetime cultivation.

Imagine spending 20 years and billions of dollars developing a plane, then having the military jump in right at the end with some funding because there's a war and making them entitled to your careers work.

This companies work in a manner of speaking saved the world. I'm totally okay with them charging 50$ now that the world's not on fire

Your analogy doesn't work because it's incomplete.

Imagine a company has spent 10 years working on cutting-edge plane tech but the birds never take the sky. They collect billions of dollars in funding along the way on promises that someday their machines will soar.

Then a war comes along and the US government says "We think you have potential to build a ship we can use in the fight, here's hundreds of millions in cash to speed up your work. Oh, and if you get it right, we'll pay you a reasonable rate for every plane you produce for us until the war ends. Oh, and you can keep any tech you develop along the way to develop other planes going forward."

I said I wouldn't bother to google them, but now I did. The vaccine was their first commercially viable product in 10 years of work. And they were already getting government grants before Warp Speed. https://www.investopedia.com/how-moderna-makes-money-5179565

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #5383 on: February 27, 2023, 06:19:44 AM »
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/02/26/politics/covid-lab-leak-wuhan-china-intelligence/index.html

“Two sources said that the Department of Energy assessed in the intelligence report that it had ‘low confidence’ the Covid-19 virus accidentally escaped from a lab in Wuhan.“

Ah, the back and forth finger-pointing shitstorm this should produce …   

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #5384 on: March 02, 2023, 10:47:18 PM »

Ah, the back and forth finger-pointing shitstorm this should produce …   

Thomas Massie has entered the ring

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1631277085548331010?t=ubrxeUQwWhMrrINviqRyUA&s=19

Tags: