Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358695 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #3420 on: January 08, 2021, 08:37:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1347417082074439681?s=19

Imagine intentionally refusing to accept and understand this. They’re very simple and irrefutable statistics. If you’re still trying to find an angle to deflect facts, it’s not a simple difference of opinion anymore and it’s completely fair to call you a freaking moron.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:39:33 PM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3421 on: January 08, 2021, 08:42:19 PM »
Imagine intentionally refusing to accept and understand this. They’re very simple and irrefutable statistics. If you’re still trying to find an angle to deflect facts, it’s not a simple difference of opinion anymore and it’s completely fair to call you a freaking moron.

But what if I poorly source statistics and refuse to understand it outside a very specific vacuum as if it doesn’t have any impact on other people or situations?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3422 on: January 11, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
LONDON — Japan's National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID) on Sunday said it had detected a new variant of the coronavirus in four travelers arriving from Brazil.

The newly-discovered mutant strain of Covid-19 was found to share some of the mutations in common with those of concern for increased infectivity, the institute said, referring to highly infectious strains recently discovered in the U.K. and South Africa.

However, at this time any information about the new variant is limited to its genetic make-up, the NIID said. The institute added it is difficult to immediately determine how infectious the new strain is and the effectiveness of vaccines against it.

The World Health Organization has been contacted by CNBC to confirm whether it has been informed about the new mutant strain of the virus. The United Nations health agency was not immediately available to respond on Monday morning.

Japan's identification of a new variant of the virus comes as countries scramble to contain two other contagious variants that have emerged in the U.K. and South Africa. Public health experts have expressed concern the new strains could pose a threat to inoculation efforts.

To be sure, while the variants discovered in Britain and South Africa spread more easily, there is no clear evidence of the mutated viruses being associated with more severe disease outcomes. But being more transmissible means more people can get infected, and this could mean more serious infections and more fatalities.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3423 on: January 11, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »
BEIJING — It took just 39 new coronavirus cases for health authorities in China to put almost 11 million people into lockdown in the city of Shijiazhuang.

Health officials took no chances on Wednesday, sealing off the capital of the industrial Hebei province and ordering a mass testing drive.

Travel restrictions were put in place in the remainder of the region, which encircles China's capital Beijing and is home to some 76 million people.

By Saturday, Mayor Ma Yujun told a news conference that it had taken just three days to complete the first round of mass testing in Shijiazhuang, with 354 people found positive for the virus. A second round of testing is due to begin soon, he added.

Yan Xixin, a critical care director at the Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, told the same news conference, "the risk of having more infections is still there."

This hard-and-fast approach is being echoed elsewhere in the Asia-Pacific region to fend off coronavirus flare-ups — including in Japan, Thailand and Australia — making measures to curb the virus spread in Europe and the United States appear almost sluggish.

Authorities put Hebei — known for textile, steel and pharmaceutical industries — into a "wartime mode" on Tuesday. This meant that government-coordinated action could begin, investigation teams to trace contacts could be set up and medical supplies distributed.

For residents of the provincial capital, Shijiazhuang, travel out of the city was barred and gatherings banned. Schools were closed down, while flights and trains were cancelled and the main bus terminal shut.

Late Friday, citizens were urged to stay home for at least seven days.

Nearby, officials in the city of Nangong announced on the social platform WeChat that they would offer rewards of 500 Yuan ($77) for reports of anyone refusing a Covid-19 test.

"People should fully understand the necessity of this approach," Shi Mo, a graduate student in Shijiazhuang, told NBC News.

Although it would take some social and psychological adjustments, Shi likened the lockdown to preparing "for a protracted war."

"With the valuable experience of Wuhan in its previous epidemic prevention, Shijiazhuang has a model for reference," he said. "We are all optimistic about the epidemic."

The aggressive measures to control the outbreak are similar, although not yet as draconian, as those used by Chinese authorities to stamp out the virus when it first emerged in the city of Wuhan in late 2019.

Since then, the total number of coronavirus cases in China stands over 87,000 and the death toll remains unchanged since May, at 4,634 people, according to China's National Health Commission — the only official source of information about infection rates in the country.

NBC News could not independently verify the reported numbers, and the Chinese government has been criticized for its lack of openness and minimizing the severity of the outbreak since its outset. The country has also been accused of mishandling the initial phase of the outbreak and silencing whistleblowers.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #3424 on: January 11, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
Good news for Puck....Moderna is launching 3 new vaccine programs, one of them being for HIV.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3425 on: January 11, 2021, 09:13:51 AM »
Good news for Puck....Moderna is launching 3 new vaccine programs, one of them being for HIV.
He needs the one for derriere AIDS specifically.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3426 on: January 11, 2021, 09:21:14 AM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3427 on: January 11, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
Haha

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #3428 on: January 11, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
Quote from: delavan
He needs the one for derriere AIDS specifically.

"that true Puck?
If so, assume the position-- c'mon, do it for science!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3429 on: January 11, 2021, 10:02:20 AM »
This hard-and-fast approach is being echoed elsewhere in the Asia-Pacific region to fend off coronavirus flare-ups — including in Japan, Thailand and Australia — making measures to curb the virus spread in Europe and the United States appear almost sluggish.

"almost sluggish"

#butmuhrytes
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3430 on: January 12, 2021, 06:49:02 AM »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #3433 on: January 25, 2021, 08:59:12 AM »
BBC Breaking News
@BBCBreaking
·
18m
Moderna Covid vaccine appears to work against UK and South African variants of the virus, the company’s scientists say

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #3434 on: January 26, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »
The Journal of America Medical Association's latest "in-school safety assessments" and teacher's unions (e.g. Chicago) are on a collision course. 

Meanwhile on-line schooling has Junior flunking like a champ (not to mention the socialization fallout).   

Gonna be dicey in some political circles for whom to hitch their wagons to.

Tags: