Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 359239 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #2476 on: July 09, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
Even if the NFL comes back, several teams are going to lose key players to this every week.

I just don't see how this is going to work consistently this season.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2477 on: July 09, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »
The NFLPA should just tell the players to sit out. There’s no reason to risk it.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2478 on: July 09, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »
120 died in Florida yesterday

BAN MUSIC

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2479 on: July 09, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »
The NFLPA should just tell the players to sit out. There’s no reason to risk it.

Considering the survival rate for someone in their 20s/30s and the average NFL salary I think there's plenty of reason to risk it.

I mean who wouldn't risk a <1% chance of death to make between several hundred thousand to several million over the course of less than a year?

Sure players with complex family situations have a different story, but they could always go the isolation path for the season.

I'm all for players making their own decisions in their best interest, but from a risk vs reward standpoint I'd say the benefits outweigh the risks

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2480 on: July 09, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »
Considering the survival rate for someone in their 20s/30s and the average NFL salary I think there's plenty of reason to risk it.

Sure players with complex family situations have a different story, but they could always go the isolation path for the season.

Young pro athletes have a storied history of making very responsible choices.  Very trustworthy.  I'm sure they won't go clubbing or have a titty show party with 100 of their closest friends or anything.  It's fine.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2481 on: July 09, 2020, 04:07:18 PM »
Young pro athletes have a storied history of making very responsible choices.  Very trustworthy.  I'm sure they won't go clubbing or have a titty show party with 100 of their closest friends or anything.  It's fine.

I'm not talking about them being responsible to each other. I'm saying if someone's concerned about giving his wife or kids COVID but wants the x million dollars for playing, they can easily opt to play the entire season on the road so they can bank that check with 0 risks of infecting their loved ones.

Obviously the players will do all kinds of stupid excrement (see Zeke)

But again the survival rates for someone in their 20s and 30s is over 99%. Factor in the fact that these people are in their 20s 30s world class athletes rich and have access to the world's best medical care. I don't think it's a stretch to say their odds of death are virtually non existent  although still possible

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2482 on: July 09, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
Took 10 days to get back my COVID test results. Our testing is clearly working perfectly. I'm negative, as I expected (no symptoms).

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2483 on: July 09, 2020, 04:12:26 PM »

Von Miller had COVID and he said he's still having some respiratory trouble. 

We don't know the long term issues this thing can cause in 20s/30s either.

There's no need to rush into this. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2484 on: July 09, 2020, 04:12:57 PM »
Took 10 days to get back my COVID test results. Our testing is clearly working perfectly. I'm negative, as I expected (no symptoms).

Were you exposed to someone that had it? 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2485 on: July 09, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
Von Miller had COVID and he said he's still having some respiratory trouble. 

We don't know the long term issues this thing can cause in 20s/30s either.

There's no need to rush into this. 

Oh I'm not saying anything about rushing into anything.

I'm suggesting that if most people people were put in these guys shoes, they would opt to play. Not out of love for the fans or any bushit like that. Just from a simple risk vs reward scenario, where they'd be weighing the potential of earning more money than 99% of people will earn in their lifetime vs a miniscule chance of poor health outcomes.

Obviously guys will and should opt out if they'd do choose we it's their right. But I think the rewards are simply too great for most.

However if the nfl doesn't freeze contracts, then that obviously skews risk vs reward for players on low earning contracts

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2486 on: July 09, 2020, 04:35:56 PM »
I'm not talking about them being responsible to each other. I'm saying if someone's concerned about giving his wife or kids COVID but wants the x million dollars for playing, they can easily opt to play the entire season on the road so they can bank that check with 0 risks of infecting their loved ones.

Obviously the players will do all kinds of stupid excrement (see Zeke)

But again the survival rates for someone in their 20s and 30s is over 99%. Factor in the fact that these people are in their 20s 30s world class athletes rich and have access to the world's best medical care. I don't think it's a stretch to say their odds of death are virtually non existent  although still possible

I guess death is the only concern?  No possible long-term symptoms or anything.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2487 on: July 09, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »
I guess death is the only concern?  No possible long-term symptoms or anything.

I'm no expert, but I haven't seen anything to suggest long term problems in young healthy people.

Sure if you're 70 with COPD and are on a vent for 3 months you'll probably be fucked up a while.

But again for the money vs the risk I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of people would be chasing the money.

And anecdotally that's what I've seen from observation. I think people should be smart and not act like jerkoffs. But wave a 7 figure check in front of me and I'm more than willing to roll the dice

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2488 on: July 09, 2020, 06:13:46 PM »
I'm no expert, but I haven't seen anything to suggest long term problems in young healthy people.

Sure if you're 70 with COPD and are on a vent for 3 months you'll probably be fucked up a while.

But again for the money vs the risk I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of people would be chasing the money.

And anecdotally that's what I've seen from observation. I think people should be smart and not act like jerkoffs. But wave a 7 figure check in front of me and I'm more than willing to roll the dice

We were just talking about Von Miller having continued lung problems. There are 20 and 30 year olds on ventilators. No one is invincible.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2489 on: July 09, 2020, 06:36:34 PM »
Were you exposed to someone that had it? 
No, but I was on a flight from LAX, and I'm staying with my mother and grandma, so I wanted to make sure. The long delay kind of made the test useless, but I'm glad I'm good.

Tags: