Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 359386 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #2445 on: July 02, 2020, 11:03:59 PM »
The US isn't the only country in the world. Countries with varying levels of mask usage and lockdown have all fared (mostly) better than the US. Much like we don't know about the long-term effects of Covid, we don't know overly much about what public policy is most effective because the data gives mixed indicators. "What we've done" varies highly from state to state.

100% it's a guessing game. An educated guessing game and hindsight is 2020 but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the United States decision making (relative to most major countries) has not been good for preventing the spread of the disease OR the economy.

If the spread of the disease was like it is now but we were on track to have the strongest economy in the world then sure you can make a legitimate argument. But I think we're going to bleed the most medically and financially because of the path we're on. And it's like we've made so many wrong decisions that it's hard to even say what's going to right the ship at this point. It's almost like we're in a position where we can't stop the bleeding we can just slow it down and hope the loss of lives/economy isn't too great

And in hindsight it's easy to say, but I think if we majorly locked excrement down from the get-go that not only would the loss of lives be severely reduced hut so would the economic impact

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2446 on: July 02, 2020, 11:15:19 PM »
Very, very easy to say incredibly stupid excrement like this when you don't have any skin in the game.

Yeah, when people are dying it's very easy for me to not be concerned about your business or anyone else's.   

we still have governors opting to shut down beaches and outdoor activities when that doesn't really make sense.

It doesn't make sense?  You are seriously underestimating how stupid people are.

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #2447 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:26 PM »
100% it's a guessing game. An educated guessing game and hindsight is 2020 but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the United States decision making (relative to most major countries) has not been good for preventing the spread of the disease OR the economy.

If the spread of the disease was like it is now but we were on track to have the strongest economy in the world then sure you can make a legitimate argument. But I think we're going to bleed the most medically and financially because of the path we're on. And it's like we've made so many wrong decisions that it's hard to even say what's going to right the ship at this point. It's almost like we're in a position where we can't stop the bleeding we can just slow it down and hope the loss of lives/economy isn't too great

And in hindsight it's easy to say, but I think if we majorly locked excrement down from the get-go that not only would the loss of lives be severely reduced hut so would the economic impact

We can only make decisions going forward. Don't know if I agree with that, as lockdowns have shown inconsistent effects on covid rates/death rates:

Even among countries with markedly different policies:

And in the US:

None of this is conclusive, of course. But the incubation period seems to have more correlation on a longer timeframe than lockdowns would generally help:

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #2448 on: July 02, 2020, 11:39:19 PM »
Yeah, when people are dying it's very easy for me to not be concerned about your business or anyone else's.   

Again, this is meaningless. You're just picking the trade-off that's more obvious on the surface.

"People are dying" all the time. We make trade-offs that increase our risk of dying all the time, because most people don't have a view of life that we're just here to be biological organisms. Thought experiment: If you could save 1,000,000 people's lives by making it so no people could ever listen to music again, would you do it? If not, does that mean that you're okay with people dying?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2449 on: July 02, 2020, 11:41:12 PM »
Thought experiment: If you could save 1,000,000 people's lives by making it so no people could ever listen to music again, would you do it? If not, does that mean that you're okay with people dying?

what

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #2450 on: July 02, 2020, 11:43:19 PM »
what

Music is banned. No one can listen to it ever again. It's completely eliminated from the world. In exchange, one million people have their lives saved.

It's not real and it's not going to happen, it's a theoretical question.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2451 on: July 02, 2020, 11:44:56 PM »
Music is banned. No one can listen to it ever again. It's completely eliminated from the world. In exchange, one million people have their lives saved.

No, I understood your question.  I'm just baffled that you came up with it and thought it was a reasonable thing to ask.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #2452 on: July 02, 2020, 11:49:33 PM »
No, I understood your question.  I'm just baffled that you came up with it and thought it was a reasonable thing to ask.

Why is it not a reasonable thing to ask? It's an analogous parallel. The point is that things that give people's lives meaning are not bonuses, but part of what living a life is. I don't think it's particularly fair to decide that things can just be shut down and you don't care because "people are dying," so I have now drawn you this parallel. If you still don't wanna see it, whatever.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2453 on: July 03, 2020, 06:21:08 AM »
Ban Post Malone
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #2454 on: July 03, 2020, 06:23:20 AM »
Banning Post Malone will save billions

Edit: dammit SFD
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2455 on: July 03, 2020, 08:52:21 AM »

When people say there are no stupid questions I'm going to read them this.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2456 on: July 03, 2020, 10:55:37 AM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2457 on: July 03, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2458 on: July 03, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »
Back to the science stuff:

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/222/2/214/5841129

"Suppose that we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light," Trump said, adding: "Supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way."

Is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning?" Trump asked his experts at the briefing, adding: "It sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That's pretty powerful."

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2459 on: July 03, 2020, 05:02:46 PM »

Funny, I did think of that when I saw this study. That's not really what it's saying though - it's about the virus being neutralised more quickly on inert / non-porous surfaces in the sunlight vs indoors, and thus reducing the risk of surface transfer.

At best, it's him hearing a conjectured thing in a briefing (which is a bonus for him, I grant you) and extrapolating it into a completely different and non-viable environment.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: