Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358123 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #2401 on: June 30, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug

On a serious note what's the alternative? Getting bitched out for not doing enough?

Sure it makes a headline about how shitty we are for spending money. But it's not like we're talking about storing it in a bunker while other people are dying. This is the worst hit country so its understandable that the govt is going to do everything it can to protect its people

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2403 on: June 30, 2020, 07:25:41 PM »
On a serious note what's the alternative? Getting bitched out for not doing enough?

Sure it makes a headline about how shitty we are for spending money. But it's not like we're talking about storing it in a bunker while other people are dying. This is the worst hit country so its understandable that the govt is going to do everything it can to protect its people

Rather than try and answer this myself, I will give you the view of a friend of mine who is a highly certified immunologist, and currently the CMO of a US biotech firm (he is British, based in the UK):

Gilead (as US company)are the innovator and manufacturer and have gone with a price that is lower than predicted and is the same for all developed countries. They have provided for an access policy in the developing world through third party manufacturers (I’m not sure of the exact details) and the estimated price will be about 20% of the developed world price. This all feels about right.

Gilead are not obligated to provide the drug to everyone immediately if supply chain is an issue. So how do they prioritise?

The trials where the efficacy of remdesivir was demonstrated were conducted globally but primarily coordinated by the US National Institutes of Health. So there was an assumption of reciprocity. There are trials that have been conducted elsewhere and funded by governments and charities, so those countries should also expect to have access. The issue is also one of timing. There’s an argument that European countries may not need this until a second wave later in the year.

The US, the country with the highest number of infections and no sign of them abating has bought the next 3 months of supply as they said they would. They have said they would do the same for a vaccine and Sanofi (a vaccine developer) have confirmed that this is likely to be the case.

Alex Azar has trumpeted this as a US triumph. There no irony or embarrassment.

It’s a bit Moral Maze...

So yeah. It's probably not too bad. It still feels a bit Verucca Salt, but it's very on brand for this administration.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2404 on: June 30, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
I really think people may hate Ron DeSantis more than Trump.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2405 on: June 30, 2020, 07:33:40 PM »

Which people?

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2406 on: June 30, 2020, 08:14:31 PM »
Rather than try and answer this myself, I will give you the view of a friend of mine who is a highly certified immunologist, and currently the CMO of a US biotech firm (he is British, based in the UK):

So yeah. It's probably not too bad. It still feels a bit Verucca Salt, but it's very on brand for this administration.

On brand indeed.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2407 on: June 30, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
At least New Jersey is now 4th on the lowest infection rate list.

RT.live
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:25:34 PM by Derek Smalls »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #2408 on: June 30, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »

Should've voted for the meth head instead I guess.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2410 on: June 30, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
Should've voted for the meth head instead I guess.

Any random dude on bath salts could have handled this outbreak better.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2411 on: July 01, 2020, 12:47:40 AM »
Well, this would suck.
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/06/chinese-study-antibodies-covid-19-patients-fade-quickly

Well fortunately there's a couple of million people out there who they can pretty easily test those findings against. The sample size was pretty small, plus it's China so

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #2412 on: July 01, 2020, 04:54:58 AM »
Any random dude on bath salts could have handled this outbreak better.

Mhmmm.

The medias treatment of De Santis as opposed to Cuomo is Exhibit A in terms of media gaslighting/the media running to be the praetorian guard of anyone with a (D) next to their name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2413 on: July 01, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »
Mhmmm.

The medias treatment of De Santis as opposed to Cuomo is Exhibit A in terms of media gaslighting/the media running to be the praetorian guard of anyone with a (D) next to their name.

NY State's cases are declining as of today, Florida's are still surging try again.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2414 on: July 01, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
NY State's cases are declining as of today, Florida's are still surging try again.
Florida also had weeks and months to observe other states to see what worked and what didn't work, too. New York did not have that luxury.

Tags: