Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358896 times)

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #2100 on: May 29, 2020, 11:39:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/1266393087359713280?s=19

See you in 2021

@PhilKlay
Replying to
@SamAdlerBell
So sad, too, because we've come to expect great leadership from him.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #2101 on: May 29, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »
It really isn't, and I've said this countless times.  I'd prefer to be a republican.  It makes more sense for me personally.  My current views are based on what I think this country needs right now, and I don't understand why more people don't think this way.

Yes that statement has hyperbole in it, but the amount of excrement he's done for party over country is ridiculous, period.  His actions shouldn't be judged or compared to what happened in the past, or even what will happen in the future.  There is no reason to make a comparison.

Qualify this statement with support so that I can understand your case for making this claim. I'm not asking this out of bad faith, I am genuinely curious.

As for his actions being judged or compared, when you are submitting that one politician above all others has done more to increase the partisan divide in this country and has been worse for us as a nation than any other, it naturally invites comparison as to what others have done. I can't fathom how it doesn't.

If you were to say, "Mitch is a piece of excrement" and I was to bring up Harry Reid, that's whataboutism. If you were to say, "he's the worst politician during his time since bla bla bla more than any other" that directly invites comparison, and it directly invites someone refuting that statement as incorrect and bringing forth another.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2102 on: May 29, 2020, 11:44:33 AM »

Qualify this statement with support so that I can understand your case for making this claim. I'm not asking this out of bad faith, I am genuinely curious.

As for his actions being judged or compared, when you are submitting that one politician above all others has done more to increase the partisan divide in this country and has been worse for us as a nation than any other, it naturally invites comparison as to what others have done. I can't fathom how it doesn't.

If you were to say, "Mitch is a piece of excrement" and I was to bring up Harry Reid, that's whataboutism. If you were to say, "he's the worst politician during his time since bla bla bla more than any other" that directly invites comparison, and it directly invites someone refuting that statement as incorrect and bringing forth another.

A big issue I have with Mitch is how little he has put to vote, the potential issues with his wife and funding for his state, and how he is handling the SC spots. I find it very hypocritical he refused to put forth a vote for an SC role at the end of Obamas term, but has said he would 100% try to fill it during trumps last year.

that and he looks like a turtle

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2103 on: May 29, 2020, 11:55:30 AM »
The writers have really started phoning it in this year

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1266335781775380480?s=19

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2104 on: May 29, 2020, 11:58:52 AM »
Greece is opening up for tourism and has published a list of 29 nationalities who are allowed to visit. The US, Canada and UK are not among the 29.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/europe/breaking-greece-bans-brits-reopens-22107424.amp

I think we're going to have an interesting little spell of international diplomacy, with the gradual reopening of countries acting as an informal referendum on the perception of how everyone has dealt with this.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2105 on: May 29, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/27/millennial-recession-covid/

Yeah but if they'd just worked harder and saved more instead of spending all their money on avocado toast and soy lattes and vintage record players.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2106 on: May 29, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »

Honestly, I really don't feel like typing out a well documented response because I think we both know its not going to change anyone's opinion, and changing anyone's opinion wasn't the point of my comment. 

You yourself said it was hyperbole so why are you trying to compare it to someone else?

I'm projecting here, but I think most people's frustration with your rebuttals stem from how defensive you are.  I get it's in your nature due to your profession, you can't show weakness to your side of the argument.  But outside of work, as a human in society, its okay to show empathy towards another opinion and admit a semblance of truth to your opposition.  I also promise you, showing a bit more humility and vulnerability will enable others to be a lot more empathetic to your POV.

But what do I know I'm an idiot libtard

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2107 on: May 29, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/27/millennial-recession-covid/

Yeah but if they'd just worked harder and saved more instead of spending all their money on avocado toast and soy lattes and vintage record players.
One potential benefit I'm hoping will come from this is maybe, just maybe, people will stop spending on stupid excrement and start saving.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2108 on: May 29, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »
One potential benefit I'm hoping will come from this is maybe, just maybe, people will stop spending on stupid excrement and start saving.

the fact that i've started to collect baseball cards out of boredom, and that they are sold out pretty much everywhere shows that to be a lie.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2109 on: May 29, 2020, 12:13:15 PM »

I agree. Let's start with corporate bailouts and military escalation.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2110 on: May 29, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
I agree. Let's start with corporate bailouts and military escalation.
Its pretty ridiculous that people and corporations can't survive 2 bad months.  Our entire economy is so short-term focused, we deserve this excrement.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2111 on: May 29, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »

Its pretty ridiculous that people and corporations can't survive 2 bad months.  Our entire economy is so short-term focused, we deserve this excrement.

The people don't deserve it, living paycheck to paycheck is not a choice in most cases.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2112 on: May 29, 2020, 12:21:02 PM »

The people don't deserve it, living paycheck to paycheck is not a choice in most cases.

If you'd just stop giving all your money to Starbucks and Apple every month you'd own a home in Richmond Hill by now. You've only yourself to blame.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2113 on: May 29, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »

Only siths deal in absolutes...

I'm not saying poverty can be saved by not buying Starbucks.  There are not enough good paying jobs out there for everyong.
My point is that people need to learn to be more fiscally conservative, and this is probably moreso for the lower middle class.  You don't need a new iPhone every time one comes out, buying coffee is not a human right, brunch is not an actual meal its a luxury for rich people.  You don't need to go on every bachelor or bachelorette party you're invited to.   Go to the library instead of purchasing books.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:27:05 PM by insanity »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #2114 on: May 29, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
Honestly, I really don't feel like typing out a well documented response because I think we both know its not going to change anyone's opinion, and changing anyone's opinion wasn't the point of my comment. 

You yourself said it was hyperbole so why are you trying to compare it to someone else?

A couple things.

I said your criticism of McConnell was hyperbole not because he might not be bad or good, but because his course of action is no different than his predecessor. That makes the idea that what he's doing to be unprecedented or that he's some sort of outlier as opposed to being business as usual, questionable. That's all.

I'm projecting here, but I think most people's frustration with your rebuttals stem from how defensive you are.  I get it's in your nature due to your profession, you can't show weakness to your side of the argument.  But outside of work, as a human in society, its okay to show empathy towards another opinion and admit a semblance of truth to your opposition.  I also promise you, showing a bit more humility and vulnerability will enable others to be a lot more empathetic to your POV.

This cuts both ways. IN, I'm not the one who immediately resorts to personal attacks, or even for that matter attacking a large voting bloc as opposed to a specific politician. You might also come in hot if you're starting in the middle of a discussion that's already summarily dismissed the opposition as being backwards simpletons.

I mean, you met me at the tailgate, outside of work, as a human in society. Honestly, do I come off as unempathetic or confrontational at all? 

But what do I know I'm an idiot libtard

I don't think that's very fair.

I've never said something like that specifically to you, nor would I compare or try and reduce your thoughts to that of someone who would unironically use a buzzterm like "KKKonservative" or some such idiocy.  I sure do throw the word queynte around a lot when it gets really heated. As MB astutely pointed out, I'm no angel.

I might have compared someone else to acting like they were...I think I said on the derriere-end of tumblr. IMHO, their rhetoric may have warranted it.

A big issue I have with Mitch is how little he has put to vote

You can acknowledge this is wrong, but also part of a pattern of behavior in terms of what happens when one party controls the House and the opposition controls the Senate. It's not whataboutism to point out that McConnell's predecessor at one point had some 350 bills passed by the House, in committee, ready to be discussed, and they were left to be tabled and die.

Again, and if someone has an example of Mitch acting in a similar way have at it, but I can't think of behavior as abhorrent as refusing to entertain bi-partisan House measures to fund the National Institute of Health during a government shutdown out of purely political reasons.

the potential issues with his wife

I didn't want to not address this and have it seem like I was ignoring this. Yeah. I got nothing.

and how he is handling the SC spots. I find it very hypocritical he refused to put forth a vote for an SC role at the end of Obamas term, but has said he would 100% try to fill it during trumps last year.

that and he looks like a turtle

Without getting into a big rehash of an argument I used to get into with Fen all the time here (RIP);

-McConnell and Senate Republicans are wrong to withhold a confirmation hearing. It was short-sighted, lazy and purely political.

-A Republican senate majority has absolutely no business confirming a jurist who without question would have significantly and radically changed the way we interpret the Second Amendment. It's not even a matter of whether or not you think that's the right thing to do, a majority was sent to the Senate with a core issue being to preserve the 2A as we know it.

I wouldn't expect a Senate majority of Democrats to ever confirm someone who's prior jurisprudence makes it clear that as soon as he gets his chance, he's coming for Roe. It'd be a very clear and obvious non-starter.

Tags: