Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357607 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #1830 on: April 27, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »
Republicans do economy magic, Democrats give away my money to Muslicans

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1831 on: April 27, 2020, 04:10:23 PM »
Republicans do economy magic, Democrats give away my money to Muslicans
Democrats leave office in 2001....great economy....

Republicans leave office in 2009....excrement economy....

Democrats leave office in 2017.....great economy....

Republicans (hopefully) leave office in 2021....excrement economy...

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1832 on: April 27, 2020, 04:18:44 PM »
Democrats leave office in 2001....great economy....

Republicans leave office in 2009....excrement economy....

Democrats leave office in 2017.....great economy....

Republicans (hopefully) leave office in 2021....excrement economy...

Lmao, remember guys, it was Obama's economy until the pandemic. Amazing how that works out.

By the way, Bubba didn't leave us with a great economy despite presiding over a period of prosperity by any stretch (the incoming recession was obvious), but don't let any sort of factual basis get in the way of the narrative.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1833 on: April 27, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »
The president has a generally negligible effect on the economy in the short-term

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1834 on: April 27, 2020, 05:46:31 PM »
The president has a generally negligible effect on the economy in the short-term
I agree. Usually, the impact of a president on the economy isn't felt until the 2nd half of a term. I just find it ironic that Republicans are always considered the best for the economy, even though whenever they're in charge, the economy is rarely in a better place than it started. And while I threw Trump in to my original post, obviously it's unfair to blame Trump for the current economy. Trump screwed up a ton of things as president, and that includes in his pandemic reaction, but he obviously is not the reason why the economy is struggling now.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1835 on: April 27, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
Most impressive is how freaking well the stock market is doing right now all things considering.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1836 on: April 27, 2020, 05:52:41 PM »

Yes, we have all listened to that episode of Freakonomics. However, it is not unreasonable to think that 8 years' worth of domestic and foreign policy decisions will have a fairly significant impact upon economic direction. Most Presidents tend to steer a fairly moderate course most of the time with only things like wars effecting significant and fast economic swings, and in the case of the US that doesn't necessarily mean negative swings - at least in the short term. But it doesn't take too long for things like phoney trade wars with the world's largest exporter of consumer goods to have a noticeable impact so let's not play the "hey, nothing bad is really Trump's fault because Presidents don't impact what happens to the economy" card just because Dubner said so, especially when said President has been claiming all the credit for doing so in the first place.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1837 on: April 27, 2020, 05:54:38 PM »
Most impressive is how freaking well the stock market is doing right now all things considering.

Are you still doing this whole equating the stock market with the economy thing?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1838 on: April 27, 2020, 06:19:21 PM »
The correct conclusion is that any gains right now are highly suspect

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1839 on: April 27, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »
Yes, we have all listened to that episode of Freakonomics. However, it is not unreasonable to think that 8 years' worth of domestic and foreign policy decisions will have a fairly significant impact upon economic direction. Most Presidents tend to steer a fairly moderate course most of the time with only things like wars effecting significant and fast economic swings, and in the case of the US that doesn't necessarily mean negative swings - at least in the short term. But it doesn't take too long for things like phoney trade wars with the world's largest exporter of consumer goods to have a noticeable impact so let's not play the "hey, nothing bad is really Trump's fault because Presidents don't impact what happens to the economy" card just because Dubner said so, especially when said President has been claiming all the credit for doing so in the first place.

Or, you know, I've studied finance and economics for a long time and have degrees in the subject?

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1840 on: April 27, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »
I don't really give a excrement what Trump claims. Obviously tariffs had a negative short-term impact, and his claims of the stock market rising being all due to him were bullshit. That doesn't really change what the long-term empirical evidence says about presidential/political actions and their impact on the economy just because Trump is different from the norm in his political posturing
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:11:19 PM by Jumbo »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1841 on: April 27, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
Or, you know, I've studied finance and economics for a long time and have degrees in the subject?

LOL really?

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1842 on: April 27, 2020, 08:21:28 PM »
LOL really?

Yes?

It's disputed like anything in economics is, but the majority of economists would probably agree that at most times fiscal policy does not have a large short-term impact on the economy

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1843 on: April 27, 2020, 08:29:08 PM »
Yes?

It's disputed like anything in economics is, but the majority of economists would probably agree that at most times fiscal policy does not have a large short-term impact on the economy

OK. So then would it be your position that if a President were to mandate that the federal minimum wage was going up to $15 effective immediately, it would not have a large short-term impact on the economy?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1844 on: April 27, 2020, 08:55:23 PM »
Are you still doing this whole equating the stock market with the economy thing?

I definitely don't think the economy is healthy right now.

But the stock market doing well does signify faith in the economy recovering and growing

Tags: