Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357317 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #1815 on: April 26, 2020, 04:38:12 PM »
Is the article not completely and entirely one sided?

You say that like there's sides involved, but you of course do that because it's your usual position - "I'm completely apolitical and I dislike both sides equally, now let me spend all my time telling you why it's the liberals who are the problem". You're not alone in doing that, but it's pretty disingenuous all the same.

Read through the article and tell me what's incorrect. No one writes an article about Pol Pot and feels it important to note that he was also known for his personal charm and love for classic poetry. Sometimes there are no sides, it's just plain freaking bad. Can you honestly look at any country in the world right now and say "phew, at least we didn't freak up our response as badly as them"?

Americans are dying in their thousands daily and your President is grifting and campaigning. But the libs!
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1816 on: April 26, 2020, 05:02:11 PM »
While I don't disagree with the notions about Trump, this makes it far more partisan than reality. Trump is guilty of all those things (only briefly skimmed way too freaking long biased and uninteresting} and his party in power thus having greater influence. But Pelosi Deblasio Cuomo and countless other democrats are just as much of the problem. Especially considering NY/NJ is as much of a problem as the rest of the entire United States combined. And those places are a leftist sanctuary.

To pretend this was a partisan failure is guilty of the same ignorance as Trump. All politicians gave a freak through this entire thing is November, and that's still all they care about.

Of course it is an opinion piece by an openly liberal writer so I'm not sure how this article is any better than some dribble  by Sean Hannity. Other than HA TRUMP BAD
Please stop using the word leftist

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1817 on: April 26, 2020, 05:03:23 PM »
World Leader Power Rankings - Week of 4/6

1) Xi

2) Iran man bad

3) Jair Bolsonaro

Brazil’s president Jair Bolsonaro has tried to reassure his citizens over the threat of coronavirus by claiming Brazilians can bathe in excrement “and nothing happens”.
“They never catch anything. You see some bloke jumping into the sewage, he gets out, has a dive, right? And nothing happens to him.”
Without offering any scientific evidence, Bolsonaro continued: “I think it’s even possible lots of people have already been infected in Brazil, a few weeks or months ago, and have already got the antibodies that help it not to proliferate”.

https://twitter.com/carinzissis/status/1243652903790956544?s=21

4) Dutch PM
update: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/03/27/caught-between-herd-immunity-and-national-lockdown-holland-hit-hard-by-covid-19/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

5) Sweden PM
herd immunity SZN

6) Boris Johnson
update: tested positive for covid 10 days ago, hospitalized yesterday

The prime minister was reportedly treated with oxygen after arriving at St Thomas' Hospital in London on Sunday at 8 pm GMT.
Aides reportedly became "increasingly worried" about the prime minister's health in recent days due to his appearance and symptoms of the virus.
Johnson was "more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit," according to the Guardian, which reported a source suggesting Johnson "was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing."

7) Philippines President
(https://twitter.com/breaking911/status/1245937203143983107?s=21)

8- Belarus Grand Poobah
(https://twitter.com/rtsportnews/status/1244594129113354242?s=21)

9) Trump
Prrrrrt

New additions for this week:

Jair Bolsonaro
Swedish PM

Trending up:
Boris Johnson

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1818 on: April 26, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
You say that like there's sides involved, but you of course do that because it's your usual position - "I'm completely apolitical and I dislike both sides equally, now let me spend all my time telling you why it's the liberals who are the problem". You're not alone in doing that, but it's pretty disingenuous all the same.

Read through the article and tell me what's incorrect. No one writes an article about Pol Pot and feels it important to note that he was also known for his personal charm and love for classic poetry. Sometimes there are no sides, it's just plain freaking bad. Can you honestly look at any country in the world right now and say "phew, at least we didn't freak up our response as badly as them"?

Americans are dying in their thousands daily and your President is grifting and campaigning. But the libs!

I'm definitely not apolitical

I addmitedly hate the left more than the right. To oversimplfy my views I'd say that I tend to agree with the right more on economics and the left on (some) social issues.

But I think the issue is almost always both sides taking sides. Instead of viewing each issue in a box. And I don't think liberals are the problem, they both are. This board tends to be more liberal so I feel it's necessary to remind them that both sides are freaking dog excrement. If Trump disappeared tomorrow, most of the same problems will remain.

And yes I can look at other countries who fucked it up more than us.

Look at mortality rates. In the US i(according to Hopkins) its 5%. In Spain Italy Belgium France UK its between 10 and 15%.

Sure the United States has fucked up a TON. But we also have the most universal international travel (especially in NY our epicenter). But people like to just blame the US for everything because they hate Trump. If the exact same thing happens with Obama as president, the international community would be jerking him off saying he's saved billions.

Obviously Trump has made this worse because he doesn't know how to lead, but I certainly don't think the US has had the worst outcome of any country
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:38:29 PM by dcm1602 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1819 on: April 26, 2020, 05:44:25 PM »
And yes I can look at other countries who fucked it up more than us.

Look at mortality rates. In the US i(according to Hopkins) its 5%. In Spain Italy Belgium France UK its between 10 and 15%.

Sure the United States has fucked up a TON. But we also have the most universal international travel (especially in NY our epicenter). But people like to just blame the US for everything because they hate Trump. If the exact same thing happens with Obama as president, the international community would be jerking him off saying he's saved billions.

Obviously Trump has made this worse because he doesn't know how to lead, but I certainly don't think the US has had the worst outcome of any country

If they have terrible mortality rates because the thing just came at them too fast early on when no one really knew what it was all about and their healthcare systems were overwhelmed, they didn't freak up. They just weren't equipped to handle it.

If you knew what was coming with the luxury of a bit more time and prior data from other territories, as well as having vast resources to draw upon, and you still didn't handle it correctly, you fucked up.

A comparison of mortality rates does not support your argument. I didn't ask whether other countries' outcomes were worse, I asked if anyone else had fucked up their response as badly as the US. And don't give me the whole "liberal states vs federal conservative bullshit", because we have hardcore right wingers leading some of our provinces, including mine, and a liberal leader at federal level who they all hate, and they have all put aside their enmity and chosen to work together for the protection and benefit of the country. Because that's what leaders do.

That's the entire point of that article you dismissed.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #1820 on: April 26, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
I like Democratic principles I just hate the fanbase. More important to whine about Trump than it is to fix the party

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1821 on: April 26, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
I realize Italy was one of the first

But did Spain Belgium etc not all get it the same or after the US?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1823 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »
I realize Italy was one of the first

But did Spain Belgium etc not all get it the same or after the US?

All about the same time. So compare and contrast the trajectories:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

And they don't have anything like the resources you do, they don't have the border controls you do, they have a vastly more externally transitory population than you do, they're a country with a high prevalence of smoking, and they have a population that is towards the top end of average age. I'm not even saying that Spain did a good job. They got and continue to be hammered hard, but I'm still willing to bet that by the time this is all over the US will be worse because they're trending down while you're not, and you're taking about opening things up again because people with AR-15s need haircuts and proms. (Ironically, we're all going to be building walls albeit invisible ones, because there's no way that anyone is going to allow travel between their countries and the US for along time.)

The point of the article was entirely about the complete mishandling of things by Trump and his acolytes - with the resources and knowledge available to them they chose instead to go into re-election campaign mode. All you're offering in response is basic whataboutism. And you'll vote for him in November just like you did in 2016, because you believe that the Republican party and therefore by extension Trump will be better over the next four years for your 401K.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1824 on: April 26, 2020, 06:18:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1254513987196248065?s=19
I mean, Trump barely was a year into his presidency.  That's essentially the same as Obama still being there.  He probably had his Illuminati buddies still in the White House sending covert videos to Obama so he could mind control Congress.  Except the economy was all Trump.  That was good so Trump gets full credit.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1826 on: April 26, 2020, 07:27:28 PM »
All about the same time. So compare and contrast the trajectories:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

And they don't have anything like the resources you do, they don't have the border controls you do, they have a vastly more externally transitory population than you do, they're a country with a high prevalence of smoking, and they have a population that is towards the top end of average age. I'm not even saying that Spain did a good job. They got and continue to be hammered hard, but I'm still willing to bet that by the time this is all over the US will be worse because they're trending down while you're not, and you're taking about opening things up again because people with AR-15s need haircuts and proms. (Ironically, we're all going to be building walls albeit invisible ones, because there's no way that anyone is going to allow travel between their countries and the US for along time.)

The point of the article was entirely about the complete mishandling of things by Trump and his acolytes - with the resources and knowledge available to them they chose instead to go into re-election campaign mode. All you're offering in response is basic whataboutism. And you'll vote for him in November just like you did in 2016, because you believe that the Republican party and therefore by extension Trump will be better over the next four years for your 401K.

To be fair I didn't vote for Trump in 2016 nor will I in 2020

Though he will be better for my 401k

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1827 on: April 26, 2020, 07:33:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1254563823765389312?s=21

My guess is that it's because New York has a confluence of two things that nowhere else in the US does - it's by far the biggest international transit hub in the US, and it is by far the biggest and busiest mass transit system in the US. You had people bringing it in, and then a contained environment in which to rapidly spread it. I've been to most of the major cities in the US and I can't think of anywhere else that has a melting pot so perfectly designed for rapid transmission of a virus carried by skin and breath.

London I think had a similar problem, although not on quite the same scale.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath