Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357931 times)

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #1501 on: April 06, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/Alicia_Smith19/status/1247140405826682885

That's good news but anyone reading the numbers they were using could see they were a tad high.

By a tad, I mean really freaking high.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:10:54 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1502 on: April 06, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
Animals can now get Coronavirus

it started in animals

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1503 on: April 06, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »

it started in animals

It had to go through a mutation to transfer to humans, and then another mutation for human to human transmission

Not sure about human to animal transmission but seems like it would go through the same process
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #1504 on: April 06, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »
Hope you guys are staying safe and well. Due to this  lock down I will probably die of alcoholism before the Virus but you already knew this.

Please retain for posterity - I miss work!
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1505 on: April 06, 2020, 12:12:07 PM »
Hope you guys are staying safe and well. Due to this  lock down I will probably die of alcoholism before the Virus but you already knew this.

Please retain for posterity - I miss work!

You probably miss tailgates too but hey at least that choice was 100% voluntary.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1506 on: April 06, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »
It had to go through a mutation to transfer to humans, and then another mutation for human to human transmission

Not sure about human to animal transmission but seems like it would go through the same process

What makes me nervous is that it originated in bats, mutated to transfer to humans, then mutated to transfer to tigers. All mammals, but all distinct species. The question to me is: how many times can this thing mutate? After it has lived within tigers, could it return to humans in a different form?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1507 on: April 06, 2020, 01:58:04 PM »
What makes me nervous is that it originated in bats, mutated to transfer to humans, then mutated to transfer to tigers. All mammals, but all distinct species. The question to me is: how many times can this thing mutate? After it has lived within tigers, could it return to humans in a different form?

I don't believe that SFD is quite correct; it didn't mutate to crossover, it's just that it doesn't impact bats in the same way. Just like dogs can eat raw chicken without worrying about getting salmonella, so bats can carry a virus that impacts us differently to how it impacts them, if at all.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/coronavirus-human-actions-intl/index.html

It's just that a) humans don't come into very much contact with bats, and b) given the relative size of a bat it's rather more difficult for it to carry and transfer the viral load necessary to infect an animal the size of a human. If it actually started with bats, which seems to be a matter of some uncertainty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/how-did-covid-19-begin-its-initial-origin-story-is-shaky/2020/04/02/1475d488-7521-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1508 on: April 06, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
At White House briefing, @realDonaldTrump says 1,000 military personnel are deploying to NYC at his direction, though not immediately clear where/how they'll be utilized.

That’s roughly the military crew of the Comfort, to include both hospital and support staff.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1509 on: April 06, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »
I don't believe that SFD is quite correct; it didn't mutate to crossover, it's just that it doesn't impact bats in the same way. Just like dogs can eat raw chicken without worrying about getting salmonella, so bats can carry a virus that impacts us differently to how it impacts them, if at all.

It's just that a) humans don't come into very much contact with bats, and b) given the relative size of a bat it's rather more difficult for it to carry and transfer the viral load necessary to infect an animal the size of a human. If it actually started with bats, which seems to be a matter of some uncertainty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/how-did-covid-19-begin-its-initial-origin-story-is-shaky/2020/04/02/1475d488-7521-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

I don't know. I'm basing my thinking off an article about a Chinese scientist who has been studying bats for years. Her position is that bats are a breeding ground for diseases that could infect humans. I don't recall where I read it though, it was a couple of weeks ago now.

What you're saying makes sense though. And it also might explain why "just" tigers in the zoo are infected, rather than every animal the caretaker had come in contact with.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1510 on: April 06, 2020, 02:14:31 PM »
I don't know. I'm basing my thinking off an article about a Chinese scientist who has been studying bats for years. Her position is that bats are a breeding ground for diseases that could infect humans.

For sure, I can believe that. But the disease can't impact them the same way, otherwise you would expect that either they would have all died off from it or they would have developed a herd immunity and the disease would have died out.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1511 on: April 06, 2020, 02:19:21 PM »

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1512 on: April 06, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
Boris Johnson now in intensive care

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1513 on: April 06, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
Boris Johnson now in intensive care

The only shame of it is that he's not having to contend with everyone else for the resources that he failed to provide.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1514 on: April 06, 2020, 02:32:54 PM »

A study from The Scripps Research Institute found two possible sources of coronavirus, which may explain the emergence of the initial wave of COVID-19 cases in November 2019, prior to the cluster of cases that emerged in the Wuhan seafood market.

The researchers identified the two origins to be: natural selection in an animal host before zoonotic transfer and natural selection in humans following zoonotic (animal-to-human) transfer.

The first origin—mutation in an animal host—would mean that a form of virus mutated within wild animals in the likes of bats and pangolins before spreading to humans.

In this scenario, humans got in direct contact with animals that had mutated viruses within them, causing the first animal to human transmission to occur.

The second scenario—natural selection in humans following zoonotic transfer—suggests that a lesser form of coronavirus may have transferred from a bat or a pangolin to a human body, and the virus mutated within humans afterward.

As the virus started to mutate, it also began to transmit from humans to humans, causing the outbreak to start.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tags: