Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358977 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #1230 on: March 30, 2020, 08:58:07 PM »
Coronavirus in the U.S.

From 1 to 1,500 fatalities: 27 days

From 1,500 to 3,000 fatalities: 3 days
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1231 on: March 30, 2020, 09:00:03 PM »
The numbers for NY are difficult to gauge because of the lack of testing. I think the actual viral peak in NYC is now or may have even passed. People were being turned away from testing or hospitals if they didn’t exhibit all symptoms or were of better health.

Now that testing is becoming more available (relatively speaking) the numbers are skyrocketing. I’d wager the number of people with untested corona virus in NY/NJ is exponentially higher than the confirmed number, especially in early March.
Thinking that we've peaked is based purely on raw optimism and nothing that the numbers have said.

You are correct that due to the lack of testing that the numbers are tough to gauge. But everything the numbers have said so far is that we have not peaked. Maybe in certain places, they are getting close to a peak, but definitely not nationwide. Florida is going to get ravaged soon.

Most of us have been quarantined for a while. I drove my car today for the first time in over 2 weeks.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #1232 on: March 30, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »
Thinking that we've peaked is based purely on raw optimism and nothing that the numbers have said.

You are correct that due to the lack of testing that the numbers are tough to gauge. But everything the numbers have said so far is that we have not peaked. Maybe in certain places, they are getting close to a peak, but definitely not nationwide. Florida is going to get ravaged soon.

Most of us have been quarantined for a while. I drove my car today for the first time in over 2 weeks.
I meant peaked in terms of NYC and immediate suburbs. The quarantine and work from home orders have been in place for weeks. I can’t see it booming if not for additional testing.

Sure people are out in parks and such but I think that’s been the minority.

I can’t speak to Florida and other states because I’m not there. I work in IT and have been out in the field when not at home out of necessity and can only report what I’ve seen first hand.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1233 on: March 30, 2020, 09:04:46 PM »
Most coronavirus deaths reported in a day:

- Italy: 919
- Spain: 913
- France: 418
- China: 254
- New York: 253 (Today)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1235 on: March 30, 2020, 09:28:10 PM »
Makes sense

I'm completely ignorant on the existence and population of Texas

Only California has more people.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1236 on: March 30, 2020, 09:38:52 PM »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1237 on: March 31, 2020, 12:17:31 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/30/pelosi-move-fast-rescue-package-155920

Next welfare package not too far off

Should be able to get that nice wishlist of nonsense from the other thread on the to do list

Global warming centers for the arts etc
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:21:21 AM by dcm1602 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1238 on: March 31, 2020, 12:41:33 AM »
https://twitter.com/michaelshindler/status/1244762981226995714?s=21
A friend of mine in the UK works in broadcasting (Badger met him at the Bills game this season just gone). He used to work with a very well known and by all appearances straight laced BBC presenter whose nickname in the production offices was Tinsel funbags, on account of the amount of metal he had dangling off various bits of himself beneath the nice suit.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1239 on: March 31, 2020, 01:25:22 AM »

Article from the WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nyu-langone-tells-er-doctors-to-think-more-critically-about-who-gets-ventilators-11585618990?mod=hp_lead_pos4

NYU Langone Tells ER Doctors to ‘Think More Critically’ About Who Gets Ventilators
New York health center says it will support emergency-room staff who ‘withhold futile intubations,’ threatens to discipline doctors who talk to the press

An email from the emergency-medicine department chief at NYU Langone Health says the institution will support decisions by ER doctors to ‘withhold futile intubations.’

PHOTO: JOHN MINCHILLO/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By Shalini Ramachandran and Joe Palazzolo
March 30, 2020 9:43 pm ET

NYU Langone Health, one of the nation’s top academic medical centers, told emergency-room doctors that they have “sole discretion” to place patients on ventilators and institutional backing to “withhold futile intubations.”

A March 28 email from Robert Femia, who heads the New York health center’s department of emergency medicine, underscored the life-or-death decisions placed on the shoulders of bedside physicians as they treat increasing numbers of coronavirus patients with a limited supply of ventilators.

New York state guidelines, established in 2015, recommend that hospitals appoint a triage officer or committee—someone other than the attending physician—to decide who gets a ventilator when rationing is necessary. The guidelines say that removing the decision from the physician treating the patient avoids a conflict of interest, allows an officer or committee with access to overall ventilator availability to make the call and prevents health worker burnout and stress.

Dr. Femia said in his email, which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, that experts and leaders at NYU Langone were creating internal guidance on how to allocate ventilators, which are in short supply across New York City. But the emergency department couldn’t afford to wait, he said.

“In Emergency Medicine, we do not have the luxury of time, data, or committees to help with our critical triage decisions,” he wrote. “Senior hospital leadership recognizes this and supports us to use our best clinical judgment.”

Dr. Femia wrote that decisions about “airway management” and whether to use a ventilator or other respiratory support devices were at the sole discretion of treating physicians, but he told doctors to “think more critically about who we intubate.”

“For those patients who you feel intubation will not change their ultimate clinical outcome (for example cardiac arrests, some chronic disease patients at end of life, etc) you will have support in your decision making at the department and institutional level to withhold futile intubations,” he wrote, referring to the tubes attached to ventilators that are inserted in the mouths of patients and sit above the lungs.

Jim Mandler, a spokesman for NYU Langone Health, said Dr. Femia’s email outlined guidance that had long been in place.

A Langone Health hospital in New York City, where the staff has been handling a rising number of coronavirus cases.
“We felt it was important to re-emphasize to our emergency medicine staff what these guidelines explicitly say, and to assure them that the decisions that they make at the bedside will be supported,” he said.

Mr. Mandler added that NYU Langone was “not at the point in which these judgments need to be made within the current scope of care.”

Dr. Femia’s email came amid a surge in patients at NYU Langone hospitals.

NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan recorded 332 coronavirus patients in hospital beds on Monday, an 84% increase since Thursday, according to internal figures sent to staffers.

Another 125 patients were in intensive care on Monday, more than double the number reported by the hospital on Thursday, according to the internal figures. At NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn, intensive-care patients increased to 36 from 21 over that same period.

NYU medical-school residents also treat patients at NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue, the city’s largest public hospital, which had 448 coronavirus patients in intensive care as of Monday, according to the figures.

Some NYU Langone doctors said they were unsettled by Dr. Femia’s email.

“Asking ED physicians to make snap judgments about how well a patient will do based on little to no information is a tremendous burden to place on them,” one doctor said.

“As a doctor, I don’t know how to make the call,” another said. The doctor said so far there was no evidence of anyone withholding care from patients. But what the email calls for “seems way too close to playing God.”

The same day doctors received the guidance from Dr. Femia, they also got a reminder not to speak to news reporters without permission from NYU Langone’s Office of Communications and Marketing.

Kathy Lewis, executive vice president for communications and marketing, said in an email that NYU Langone’s longstanding policy required faculty, residents and staff to forward all media inquiries to her office.

“Anyone who does not adhere to this policy, or who speaks or disseminates information to the media without explicit permission of the Office of Communications and Marketing, will be subject to disciplinary action, including termination,” Ms. Lewis wrote.

Mr. Mandler, the NYU Langone spokesman, said the policy was meant to ensure that only NYU Langone officials with the most current information about coronavirus speak to reporters.

“We have a responsibility to the public at large to ensure that the information they receive from our institution is accurate,” he said.

Write to Shalini Ramachandran at shalini.ramachandran@wsj.com and Joe Palazzolo at joe.palazzolo@wsj.com
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:26:58 AM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1240 on: March 31, 2020, 01:30:47 AM »
I think something has to come from the federal government supporting this. While withholding futile intubations is a no brainer in a situation like this. I'm sure physicians are going to be concerned about people going after their licenses or suing them. So yeah the hospitals supporting or encouraging them sounds nice but isn't as reassuring as the govt getting involved

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1241 on: March 31, 2020, 02:02:40 AM »
Well I don't know what her income is like

But unless you're near the high end of things, the new unemployment benefits ain't bad, at least for the first 3 months

Lol its only 275 per week as of today. All that bullshit about the added bonus don't even take effect on a specific date. My wife is a business manager for Chanel at a Neiman Marcus . I can assure you she makes more money than me . Albeit not a ton more , but household income already dropped when she got sent home and commissions weren't coming in.

Now we're stuck with over 50% of household income gone . My wife has worked since she was 15 and has never asked for any assistance.  We are now most likely going to be forced to sink our credit just to hope to get by paying just mortgage,  car loans , insurance and utilities alone .

Now when that aditional 600 per week were to ever take effect , that would be helpful enough for us to get by . That being said as of last Friday,  our mortgage company isn't doing excrement to help anyone . We were simply told theyre not reporting to credit bureaus until june . But everything has to be current by then

So until the feds step in and mandate something even qs basic as loan payment deferment options,  the cold reality is middle America is about to disintegrate the longer social distancing continues

So many ppl got furloughed or laid off today alone

The systems were crashing, both online , actual phone lines , and after over an hour on hold with unemployment,  even their own systems are crashing

Its only gonna get worse unless things resume .

Florida had 67k file for unemployment 2 weeks ago,  another 75k last week , probably going to be six figures this week

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1242 on: March 31, 2020, 02:12:03 AM »
I work 2 jobs. I have for over a year without a day off . My wife has worked her derriere off since 15, but since 19 in her industry . She will get multiple jobs and do what she must .

I just know theres a very real conversation about how families will get by going on in millions of households that just got much louder today

If both my jobs werent essential , we'd be absolutely fucked beyond reason.  But regular, we don't have money to pay any debt  fucked seems to be still enough to cripple us .

Literally all I can do is just keep working and hope the government steps in on mortgage companies and debtors

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1243 on: March 31, 2020, 07:26:03 AM »
I just tried going foodshopping for the first time since the hysteria went through the roof and I freaking hate everybody

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1244 on: March 31, 2020, 07:28:03 AM »
I just tried going foodshopping for the first time since the hysteria went through the roof and I freaking hate everybody

Ppl are morons standing on top of each other

Tags: