Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358984 times)

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #720 on: March 20, 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
What is this based on? The jump from animal to human was in 2019. From what you’ve seen what leads you to believe this is getting better?
From people like you spreading hysteria

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #721 on: March 20, 2020, 06:36:24 AM »

No hysteria, just fax
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #722 on: March 20, 2020, 06:57:00 AM »
Italy’s death toll has overtaken China’s. China has roughly 24x more people than Italy.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #723 on: March 20, 2020, 07:04:27 AM »
She lost her mother, two brothers and a sister to coronavirus within a week

(CNN) Elizabeth Fusco was still grieving her oldest sister's death when she got another call this week. Her oldest brother had died, too.

While she was on the phone with the hospital Wednesday, she heard her mother coding in the background and the doctors' frantic activity to save her, she told CNN. Her mother did not make it.

A day later, on Thursday, another brother died, leaving the shocked New Jersey family mourning the loss of a mother and two brothers within a week and a sister who died six days prior -- all victims of the coronavirus that has killed 195 people in the US.

Her mother and the family matriarch, Grace Fusco, 73, of Freehold, New Jersey, died Wednesday this week after being diagnosed with the coronavirus.

Her brother, Carmine Fusco, had died just before their mother on the same day, according to The New York Times. A day later, on Thursday, another brother, Vincent Fusco Jr., died, a family member said.

Her oldest sister, Rita Fusco-Jackson, had died on March 13, The Times reported. All the children were in their 50s and it's unclear whether they had underlying health issues.

In addition to the deaths, three other relatives are hospitalized in New Jersey and 19 other family members have been tested for the virus and are anxiously awaiting results, said Roseann Paradiso Fodera, the mother's cousin. They include children, parents and grandchildren, and are quarantined together.

"This is an unbearable tragedy for the family," Paradiso Fodera said. "The family's biggest concern is that we have four members of one family who have passed, two on life support and one stable," Paradiso Fodera said.

The infections appeared to have originated from a family dinner this month, according to The Times, which first reported the story. It said the first person to die from coronavirus in New Jersey had attended that gathering.

New Jersey

Keep your families safe, people.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #724 on: March 20, 2020, 07:08:59 AM »
I know that coronaviruses (viri? virii? virae?) are believed to have their origins in the bat population, but I thought that the bat soup as cause of this theory had been dispelled?

https://twitter.com/steveavonloor/status/1240802240128069632?s=21

NSFL

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #725 on: March 20, 2020, 09:01:27 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/how-one-elite-new-york-medical-provider-got-its-patients-coronavirus-tests.html

As U.S. authorities scrambled to ramp up the nation’s capacity to test for coronavirus last week, at least 100 executives and other New Yorkers of means had easy access to testing, according to two sources familiar with the activities of a little-known medical service catering to the affluent.

These people paid a $5,000-a-year membership fee for a medical concierge service in New York City called Sollis Health, which worked with Enzo Clinical Labs Inc to test its members for COVID-19, according to the sources.

The arrangement gave members, which include people in finance, entertainment, advertising and media industries, access to the tests at home at a time New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the state had the capacity to test just a few hundred patients a day. The two sources declined to provide the identities of the people the company tested for coronavirus and Reuters could not establish them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:03:43 AM by bojanglesman »

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #726 on: March 20, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »
astonishing how many people in the world have been thinking of this as a hoax and an annoyance simply because they're not in the advertised 'high risk over 60 with other medical problems' group.

it doesn't matter whether you're in that group or not, you can still get the virus and get very sick from it. will it kill you? i don't know, probably not. but that doesn't mean that your survival didn't occur without the expenditure of extensive human and medical resources to make sure you're alive.

i can guarantee you all of the people downplaying the virus have never had to deal with the physical and mental stress of trying to stabilize a patient in respiratory compromise with their body literally shutting down in front of you. it's not fun, it's hard, it's stressful, it sucks

people who are hospitalized with the virus, survive, and make it out don't become one of the death statistics. fine. but it doesn't recount the severity of their condition if they were hospitalized in the ICU and required stabilization with high flow nasal cannula, bipap, or venting, or how bad their ABG or respiratory status looked like for a time even despite the use of high level supportive equipment, which is in finite quantity

all of this has a substantial effect on the healthcare delivery system. there are people other than coronavirus patients needing hospitalization requiring providers, meds, and some of this supportive equipment. if the outbreak becomes bad enough to the point that these hospitals cannot provide care due to the sheer number of cases they have to deal with, it's not just the coronavirus patients that suffer, it's all patients that suffer. i cannot stress this enough. i cannot comment on the economic ramifications of the shutdown on the financial security of many people across the country as it is not my arena, and i can only imagine that many people are going to lose their businesses, savings etc and how hard that's going to be. but my immediate thought is that at least they'll be alive to see it through, whether good or bad. with the coronavirus, too many people have the potential to die NOW, and not just those with the coronavirus.

even having to use something like high flow or bipap to stabilize a patient has insane consequences. these machines freaking aerosolize every freaking thing that patient has and any coronavirus patient that needs these things to survive has the chance to infect anybody in the room present with them at that time

like DCM already mentioned, some hospitals are switching to systems during rapids and codes where only 1-2 people enter the room to try and mitigate the spread of infecting an entire room of 15-20 providers helping a crashing patient. having been in these rooms many times i can tell you that often that amount of manpower is needed to try and help stabilize the patient. if the patient does not have access to that help because of this virus, that patient is dying

vents are technically closed circuits so the risk of aerosolizing is not as much of an issue, but vents are in limited quantity. already some hospitals in NY are running out of vents, hospitals in america are finding ways to macguyver this excrement and use one vent to ventilate and share between multiple infected patients which seems freaking unreal, other places are talking about intubating a patient and protecting their airway, without a hooked up 'vent', and having med students take shifts ventilating and oxygenating the patient manually with bag-valve masks as a contingency once the vents run out.

anesthesiologists who are exposed to these patients during the intubation process are exposed to every freaking thing in that patients mouth and are dropping left and right from being infected during this process. quarantining healthcare workers becomes an issue when you need man power to help care for some of these critically ill patients. calling in orthopedists, radiologists, dermatologists to try to manage a critically ill patient on a freaking vent which is something they are literally not trained to do is obviously not an ideal situation, but it's happened in some places, and it's what we're trying to prevent.

i have friends at NY programs who have been hit pretty hard and it sounds horrible. even if tested positive, some of these programs are telling their employees to come in if they feel 'well' enough to work because the situation there has literally gotten 'all hands on deck'. my hospital has not reached that level yet but it's going to within the next couple of weeks. i was already working 60-80 hour weeks on the regular on a fixed salary, and have actually been scheduled to come in for MORE, not less shifts, during this time because of how bad this thing is going to get. hospitals during this time of year and the colder months are already near close to full capacity without a global pandemic in the backdrop. i'm going to get the virus, and i fully expect to be told to come in if i feel well enough to work. when it gets really bad, i don't think hospital networks will make a big deal about testing their employees to confirm whether they have it or not, if manpower is needed. what's the point? and on top of this, we still don't have enough available tests or tests that come back

the hospital environment during this time is tense. people are scared, people are worried, people are being extra cautious. i've seen work stations being completely wiped down by one person after another person has finished using them, in another time this may seem completely freaking over the top but no offense is obviously being taken. i know of a few people that have had a hard time dealing with the stress/anxiety of all this stuff, but it's whatever. we need to come in

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #727 on: March 20, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »
I don’t think people think they’re untouchable, it’s just that they’re extremely likely to recover. My doctors office called me because I had a physical scheduled for end of March that they told me to postpone for obvious reasons and directed me to the local hospital if I had symptoms. I think the hospitalization number is high because people are going there instead of their doctors.

I’d be more interested in seeing the number of people in intensive care or percentage of deaths

regarding the hospitalization component, this is not true. hospital networks that want to be financially successful have already been programmed to not admit unless absolutely necessary, to allow for optimal inpatient beds to allow for admissions with diagnosis codes that actually meet inpatient criteria so that they can be reimbursed fully by insurance companies, who won't pay if they feel the hospital admitted for no damn reason.

low risk infected patients who do not need oxygen, have stable vital signs, do not need higher level care are told to go home and self-quarantine. they are not admitted to a hospital that they don't need to be admitted to and pose a risk to infect other patients and workers for no reason. they won't be admitted unless they absolutely need to stay as bed availability is at a premium.

hospitalization numbers in theory won't be higher because more people are going to the hospital. already some places in america are setting up 'tents' outside their EDs to screen for patients that are worried about coronavirus, and whether they even need to be seen in the ED vs okay to go home, way before any sort of admission is considered for these patients.

if hospitalization numbers are high, it's because the number of patients who need to be in the hospital due to instability and the necessity of inpatient treatments/higher level oxygen delivery is high, not because PCPs are telling their patients not to come to their outpatient office visits.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #728 on: March 20, 2020, 09:31:21 AM »
Thank you for the info DS. Some people still aren’t getting it. You’re a warrior, I can’t imagine having to set foot in an overwhelmed hospital right now let alone be exposed to covid19 positive patients on a daily basis. We all owe you several beers at the next tailgate.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #729 on: March 20, 2020, 09:40:41 AM »

Better to spread hysteria than to spread the virus
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #730 on: March 20, 2020, 09:41:23 AM »
astonishing how many people in the world have been thinking of this as a hoax and an annoyance simply because they're not in the advertised 'high risk over 60 with other medical problems' group.

it doesn't matter whether you're in that group or not, you can still get the virus and get very sick from it. will it kill you? i don't know, probably not. but that doesn't mean that your survival didn't occur without the expenditure of extensive human and medical resources to make sure you're alive.

i can guarantee you all of the people downplaying the virus have never had to deal with the physical and mental stress of trying to stabilize a patient in respiratory compromise with their body literally shutting down in front of you. it's not fun, it's hard, it's stressful, it sucks

people who are hospitalized with the virus, survive, and make it out don't become one of the death statistics. fine. but it doesn't recount the severity of their condition if they were hospitalized in the ICU and required stabilization with high flow nasal cannula, bipap, or venting, or how bad their ABG or respiratory status looked like for a time even despite the use of high level supportive equipment, which is in finite quantity

all of this has a substantial effect on the healthcare delivery system. there are people other than coronavirus patients needing hospitalization requiring providers, meds, and some of this supportive equipment. if the outbreak becomes bad enough to the point that these hospitals cannot provide care due to the sheer number of cases they have to deal with, it's not just the coronavirus patients that suffer, it's all patients that suffer. i cannot stress this enough. i cannot comment on the economic ramifications of the shutdown on the financial security of many people across the country as it is not my arena, and i can only imagine that many people are going to lose their businesses, savings etc and how hard that's going to be. but my immediate thought is that at least they'll be alive to see it through, whether good or bad. with the coronavirus, too many people have the potential to die NOW, and not just those with the coronavirus.

even having to use something like high flow or bipap to stabilize a patient has insane consequences. these machines freaking aerosolize every freaking thing that patient has and any coronavirus patient that needs these things to survive has the chance to infect anybody in the room present with them at that time

like DCM already mentioned, some hospitals are switching to systems during rapids and codes where only 1-2 people enter the room to try and mitigate the spread of infecting an entire room of 15-20 providers helping a crashing patient. having been in these rooms many times i can tell you that often that amount of manpower is needed to try and help stabilize the patient. if the patient does not have access to that help because of this virus, that patient is dying

vents are technically closed circuits so the risk of aerosolizing is not as much of an issue, but vents are in limited quantity. already some hospitals in NY are running out of vents, hospitals in america are finding ways to macguyver this excrement and use one vent to ventilate and share between multiple infected patients which seems freaking unreal, other places are talking about intubating a patient and protecting their airway, without a hooked up 'vent', and having med students take shifts ventilating and oxygenating the patient manually with bag-valve masks as a contingency once the vents run out.

anesthesiologists who are exposed to these patients during the intubation process are exposed to every freaking thing in that patients mouth and are dropping left and right from being infected during this process. quarantining healthcare workers becomes an issue when you need man power to help care for some of these critically ill patients. calling in orthopedists, radiologists, dermatologists to try to manage a critically ill patient on a freaking vent which is something they are literally not trained to do is obviously not an ideal situation, but it's happened in some places, and it's what we're trying to prevent.

i have friends at NY programs who have been hit pretty hard and it sounds horrible. even if tested positive, some of these programs are telling their employees to come in if they feel 'well' enough to work because the situation there has literally gotten 'all hands on deck'. my hospital has not reached that level yet but it's going to within the next couple of weeks. i was already working 60-80 hour weeks on the regular on a fixed salary, and have actually been scheduled to come in for MORE, not less shifts, during this time because of how bad this thing is going to get. hospitals during this time of year and the colder months are already near close to full capacity without a global pandemic in the backdrop. i'm going to get the virus, and i fully expect to be told to come in if i feel well enough to work. when it gets really bad, i don't think hospital networks will make a big deal about testing their employees to confirm whether they have it or not, if manpower is needed. what's the point? and on top of this, we still don't have enough available tests or tests that come back

the hospital environment during this time is tense. people are scared, people are worried, people are being extra cautious. i've seen work stations being completely wiped down by one person after another person has finished using them, in another time this may seem completely freaking over the top but no offense is obviously being taken. i know of a few people that have had a hard time dealing with the stress/anxiety of all this stuff, but it's whatever. we need to come in

solid post...and keep fighting the good fight, DS. I for one, am thankful for health care folks like yourselves. Stay Safe, my friend.

EDIT: SFD is correct, your drinks are on us at the next tailgate.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:43:19 AM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #731 on: March 20, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »
regarding the hospitalization component, this is not true. hospital networks that want to be financially successful have already been programmed to not admit unless absolutely necessary, to allow for optimal inpatient beds to allow for admissions with diagnosis codes that actually meet inpatient criteria so that they can be reimbursed fully by insurance companies, who won't pay if they feel the hospital admitted for no damn reason.

low risk infected patients who do not need oxygen, have stable vital signs, do not need higher level care are told to go home and self-quarantine. they are not admitted to a hospital that they don't need to be admitted to and pose a risk to infect other patients and workers for no reason. they won't be admitted unless they absolutely need to stay as bed availability is at a premium.

hospitalization numbers in theory won't be higher because more people are going to the hospital. already some places in america are setting up 'tents' outside their EDs to screen for patients that are worried about coronavirus, and whether they even need to be seen in the ED vs okay to go home, way before any sort of admission is considered for these patients.

if hospitalization numbers are high, it's because the number of patients who need to be in the hospital due to instability and the necessity of inpatient treatments/higher level oxygen delivery is high, not because PCPs are telling their patients not to come to their outpatient office visits.

A family friend is an infectious disease nurse in south jersey, the tents are already being set up.

Stay safe DS.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #732 on: March 20, 2020, 10:05:11 AM »
I have a client who is a retiring nurse outside of Baltimore.  Her coordinator assigned her to go work a COVID drive-thru station and she went home instead.

I don't blame her.  She's 66 years old and scheduled to retire on April 31st. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #733 on: March 20, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »
#BREAKING: I will sign an Executive Order mandating that 100% of workforce must stay home, excluding essential services.

This order excludes pharmacies, grocery stores, and others.

Cuomo

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #734 on: March 20, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: