Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357675 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #690 on: March 19, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »
Fun fact: I grew up a few towns over from Lyme, CT - where Lyme disease originated. People are intelligent enough to figure out that it comes from ticks and not the people that live there.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #691 on: March 19, 2020, 02:38:46 PM »
That's not really true though, is it? Spanish flu started in either France or the US, bird flu probably started somewhere in Asia, swine flu was first found in Mexico.

At the time the Spanish flu was thought to have originated in Spain, so it was designated as such. I know after the fact there's been a lot of speculation that it was started either here or France. If that was the conventional wisdom at the time, it'd be called Etaples flu, even if that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

Ebola virus-first found by the Ebola River.

Lyme's disease is called Lyme's disease because it originated in Old Lyme Connecticut (and I actually can't tell you how much my mind was blown that it wasn't officially diagnosed as its own condition until 1975. We put man on the moon before we found out about Lyme's disease?!?!).

Honestly, I do not think he'd be pressing this as hard as he is if the Chinese weren't continually trying to absolve themselves of the blame. It's a direct freak you to Xi Jinping. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #692 on: March 19, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »
Lyme

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #693 on: March 19, 2020, 02:55:48 PM »
Lyme

There is no plural form, holy excrement. TIL.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #694 on: March 19, 2020, 02:57:19 PM »
There is no plural form, holy excrement. TIL.

Not true, there’s Lyme, East Lyme, and Old Lyme.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #695 on: March 19, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »
(Reuters) - The highly contagious novel coronavirus that has exploded into a global pandemic can remain viable and infectious in droplets in the air for hours and on surfaces up to days, according to a new study that should offer guidance to help people avoid contracting the respiratory illness called COVID-19.

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, attempted to mimic the virus deposited from an infected person onto everyday surfaces in a household or hospital setting, such as through coughing or touching objects.

They used a device to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the microscopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze.

ADVERTISEMENT
The scientists then investigated how long SARS-CoV-2 remained infectious on these surfaces, according to the study that appeared online in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday - a day in which U.S. COVID-19 cases surged past 5,200 and deaths approached 100.

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days. On cardboard, the virus was not viable after 24 hours. On copper, it took 4 hours for the virus to become inactivated.

In terms of half-life, the research team found that it takes about 66 minutes for half the virus particles to lose function if they are in an aerosol droplet.

That means that after another hour and six minutes, three quarters of the virus particles will be essentially inactivated but 25% will still be viable.

The amount of viable virus at the end of the third hour will be down to 12.5%, according to the research led by Neeltje van Doremalen of the NIAID's Montana facility at Rocky Mountain Laboratories.

ADVERTISEMENT
On stainless steel, it takes 5 hours 38 minutes for half of the virus particles to become inactive. On plastic, the half-life is 6 hours 49 minutes, researchers found.

On cardboard, the half-life was about three and a half hours, but the researchers said there was a lot of variability in those results "so we advise caution" interpreting that number.

The shortest survival time was on copper, where half the virus became inactivated within 46 minutes.

As part of their experiments, the researchers compared the stability of SARS-CoV-2 to that of SARS-CoV-1 under the same experimental circumstances and found similar results. "This indicates that differences in the epidemiologic characteristics of these viruses probably arise from other factors," they conclude, "including high viral loads in the upper respiratory tract and the potential for persons infected with SARS-CoV-2 to shed and transmit the virus while asymptomatic

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #696 on: March 19, 2020, 03:18:21 PM »
The shortest survival time was on copper, where half the virus became inactivated within 46 minutes.

Moscow Mule SZN baby

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #697 on: March 19, 2020, 03:18:45 PM »
Sean Payton got da funk.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #698 on: March 19, 2020, 03:31:13 PM »

At the time the Spanish flu was thought to have originated in Spain, so it was designated as such. I know after the fact there's been a lot of speculation that it was started either here or France. If that was the conventional wisdom at the time, it'd be called Etaples flu, even if that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

Ebola virus-first found by the Ebola River.

Lyme's disease is called Lyme's disease because it originated in Old Lyme Connecticut (and I actually can't tell you how much my mind was blown that it wasn't officially diagnosed as its own condition until 1975. We put man on the moon before we found out about Lyme's disease?!?!).

Honestly, I do not think he'd be pressing this as hard as he is if the Chinese weren't continually trying to absolve themselves of the blame. It's a direct freak you to Xi Jinping.

No need to bend into pretzels over this, at this point it's just dipshits doing it because they fancy themselves anti-PC or whatever.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #699 on: March 19, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »
I had no idea Lyme Disease came from Lyme, Connecticut. Granted, I also never thought about it.

Another reason I'm happy I got out of Connecticut.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #700 on: March 19, 2020, 04:36:18 PM »
I had no idea Lyme Disease came from Lyme, Connecticut. Granted, I also never thought about it.

Another reason I'm happy I got out of Connecticut.

This is incredibly offensive

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #701 on: March 19, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #702 on: March 19, 2020, 06:52:25 PM »
Axios has compiled a timeline of the earliest weeks of the coronavirus outbreak in China, highlighting when the cover-up started and ended — and showing how, during that time, the virus already started spreading around the world, including to the United States.

Why it matters: A study published in March indicated that if Chinese authorities had acted three weeks earlier than they did, the number of coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 95% and its geographic spread limited.

This timeline, compiled from information reported by the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, the South China Morning Post and other sources, shows that China's cover-up and the delay in serious measures to contain the virus lasted about three weeks.

Dec. 10: Wei Guixian, one of the earliest known coronavirus patients, starts feeling ill.

Dec. 16: Patient admitted to Wuhan Central Hospital with infection in both lungs but resistant to anti-flu drugs. Staff later learned he worked at a wildlife market connected to the outbreak.

Dec. 27: Wuhan health officials are told that a new coronavirus is causing the illness.

Dec. 30:
Ai Fen, a top director at Wuhan Central Hospital, posts information on WeChat about the new virus. She was reprimanded for doing so and told not to spread information about it.
Wuhan doctor Li Wenliang also shares information on WeChat about the new SARS-like virus. He is called in for questioning shortly afterward.
Wuhan health commission notifies hospitals of a “pneumonia of unclear cause” and orders them to report any related information.

Dec. 31:
Wuhan health officials confirm 27 cases of illness and close a market they think is related to the virus' spread.
China tells the World Health Organization’s China office about the cases of an unknown illness.

Jan. 1: Wuhan Public Security Bureau brings in for questioning eight doctors who had posted information about the illness on WeChat.

An official at the Hubei Provincial Health Commission orders labs, which had already determined that the novel virus was similar to SARS, to stop testing samples and to destroy existing samples.

Jan. 2: Chinese researchers map the new coronavirus' complete genetic information. This information is not made public until Jan. 9.

Jan. 7: Xi Jinping becomes involved in the response.

Jan. 9: China announces it has mapped the coronavirus genome.

Jan. 11–17: Important prescheduled CCP meeting held in Wuhan. During that time, the Wuhan Health Commission insists there are no new cases.

Jan. 13: First coronavirus case reported in Thailand, the first known case outside China.

Jan. 14: WHO announces Chinese authorities have seen "no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus."

Jan. 15: The patient who becomes the first confirmed U.S. case leaves Wuhan and arrives in the U.S., carrying the coronavirus.

Jan. 18:
The Wuhan Health Commission announces four new cases.
Annual Wuhan Lunar New Year banquet. Tens of thousands of people gathered for a potluck.

Jan. 19: Beijing sends epidemiologists to Wuhan.

Jan. 20:
The first case announced in South Korea.
Zhong Nanshan, a top Chinese doctor who is helping to coordinate the coronavirus response, announces the virus can be passed between people.

Jan. 21:
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms the first coronavirus case in the United States.
CCP flagship newspaper People’s Daily mentions the coronavirus epidemic and Xi's actions to fight it for the first time.
China's top political commission in charge of law and order warns that “anyone who deliberately delays and hides the reporting of [virus] cases out of his or her own self-interest will be nailed on the pillar of shame for eternity."

Jan. 23: Wuhan and three other cities are put on lockdown. Right around this time, approximately 5 million people leave the city without being screened for the illness.

Jan. 24–30: China celebrates the Lunar New Year holiday. Hundreds of millions of people are in transit around the country as they visit relatives.

Jan. 24: China extends the lockdown to cover 36 million people and starts to rapidly build a new hospital in Wuhan. From this point, very strict measures continue to be implemented around the country for the rest of the epidemic.

The bottom line: China is now trying to create a narrative that it's an example of how to handle this crisis when in fact its early actions led to the virus spreading around the globe.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:56:14 PM by SixFeetDeep »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #703 on: March 19, 2020, 07:24:32 PM »
Oof. That's not good.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #704 on: March 19, 2020, 07:25:52 PM »
China is and presumably will be for quite some time the biggest problem to global stability.

Tags: