Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 359499 times)

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #630 on: March 18, 2020, 11:09:10 AM »
Zero hour contracts have been a thing in the UK for a few years, they're basically a way of fudging the unemployment figures and avoiding paying benefits. They're a disgrace.

They were a thing at least in retail for a long time during the tailspin of 08-09. Didn't want to lose the ability to have competent staff in the store, didn't want to guarantee people any sort of minimal hours.

Shame too, I had the best gig at the old Armani Exchange in the Short Hills mall. I was also a lot skinnier when I was in college, had it been now they'd have stuck my fat derriere in the back to do stock work.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #631 on: March 18, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
I'm at work right now. I just got off the phone with my boss' boss, who reports directly to the president of the company.

He's home. So is everyone on the executive level.

He spoke to the executives yesterday "briefly" and "nothing has changed" in terms of us still coming into the office.

I work at a freaking property management company. We manage freaking apartment communities. I'm a freaking programmer who can literally work from anywhere with an internet connection.

The rich see everyone else as cattle. I wonder if they realize the coronavirus DGAF how much wealth they own?

I would type up my resume after this excrement is over if I were you....freak that company.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #632 on: March 18, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
I would type up my resume after this excrement is over if I were you....freak that company.

Just pretty important to make sure you have some kind of unique skill or training that makes you a valuable commodity. Because there's gonna be a hefty chunk of people looking for jobs after this

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #633 on: March 18, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
Just pretty important to make sure you have some kind of unique skill or training that makes you a valuable commodity. Because there's gonna be a hefty chunk of people looking for jobs after this

Shouldn’t you be setting up tents instead of shitposting
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #634 on: March 18, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »

Tech is nothing but a master of disaster capitalism and with it now being abundantly clear that organisations which failed to heed our DR/BC message over the last few years are the ones struggling, I expect a significant wave of tech spending as soon as things ease as organisations scramble to get away from legacy platforms, clunky VPNs and localised data centers.

Internally, the tech industry is finally figuring out that farming out code work to Indian chop shops is a false economy given the attendant cost of debug, integration and support along with an increasing focus on effective devops, and with this current situation only likely to increase the focus on national economic activity I think that experienced programmers and coders are going to be in plenty of demand in North America over the next while.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #635 on: March 18, 2020, 12:29:27 PM »

I wish I could spend the next month setting up tents

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #636 on: March 18, 2020, 01:06:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696?s=21

Best not to read this thread first thing in the morning or before bed, too late for me

Big Geezy throwing water on this noise in an AMA

thisisbillgates
389 points
·
22 minutes ago

Fortunately it appears the parameters used in that model were too negative. The experience in China is the most critical data we have. They did their "shut down" and were able to reduce the number of cases. They are testing widely so they see rebounds immediately and so far there have not been a lot. They avoided widespread infection. The Imperial model does not match this experience. Models are only as good as the assumptions put into them. People are working on models that match what we are seeing more closely and they will become a key tool. A group called Institute for Disease Modeling that I fund is one of the groups working with others on this.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #637 on: March 18, 2020, 01:27:59 PM »
Big Geezy throwing water on this noise in an AMA

Is it valid to compare China’s lockdown and testing measures to ours? I agree with what he says about the assumptions on the model otherwise

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #638 on: March 18, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
BREAKING: President Trump says he is invoking the Defense Production Act to mobilize US private production capacity to combat the coronavirus outbreak; HUD "suspending all foreclosures and evictions until the end of April." - NBC News

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #639 on: March 18, 2020, 01:47:47 PM »
Is it valid to compare China’s lockdown and testing measures to ours?

I wouldn't think so.  I think we're going to feel the hurt on this one much more than China because of our sheer hubris and lackadaisical response to this point but not to the tune of a million dead.   

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #640 on: March 18, 2020, 01:49:23 PM »
I wouldn't think so.  I think we're going to feel the hurt on this one much more than China because of our sheer hubris and lackadaisical response to this point but not to the tune of a million dead.   

I think the fact that in China the people have to worry about the government killing them more than the disease is a huge advantage to containing it

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #642 on: March 18, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »
Looks like the gubment may end up cutting two separate $1000 checks to everyone in a stimulus package.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #643 on: March 18, 2020, 02:04:44 PM »

https://twitter.com/augustsimien/status/1239315758984966144?s=21

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #644 on: March 18, 2020, 02:08:19 PM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: