Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357902 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #600 on: March 17, 2020, 10:55:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696?s=21

Best not to read this thread first thing in the morning or before bed, too late for me

The story about the outgoing Obama administration and the incoming Trump pandemic strategy tabletop briefing was pretty fucked up.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #601 on: March 18, 2020, 12:11:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696?s=21

Best not to read this thread first thing in the morning or before bed, too late for me
unless I misunderstood the article

Seemed like they focused on how bad it would be if we did unrealistically bad levels of nothing about it

I mean by that logic a lot of things would completely decimate the human race

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #602 on: March 18, 2020, 12:57:59 AM »
unless I misunderstood the article

Seemed like they focused on how bad it would be if we did unrealistically bad levels of nothing about it

I mean by that logic a lot of things would completely decimate the human race

Now, of course countries won't stand by and do nothing. So the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, this time assuming a "mitigation" strategy: all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing...

...And it does flatten the curve -- but not nearly enough. The death rate from the disease is cut in half, but it still kills 1.1 million Americans all by itself. The peak need for ventilators falls by two-thirds, but it still exceeds the number of ventilators in the US by 8 times.

We are super duper behind in testing and therefore very far behind in quarantining the infected.  Gotta get those tests out to folks other than basketball players ASAP.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #604 on: March 18, 2020, 05:23:54 AM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #605 on: March 18, 2020, 05:48:22 AM »
I was also thinking how hilarious mandatory testing ala South Korea would be here and how many people would complain or refuse to comply because Americans are difficult assholes

So there is a runaway coronavirus patient in Newark. Mayor Baraka says woman tested positive for COVID-19 but did not give her real name/address. Now officials are looking for her and want her to come forward for treatment. "You are putting others at risk," he says
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #606 on: March 18, 2020, 07:27:22 AM »
“3 out of 4 Nets showed no symptoms”
“Lakers to be be tested Wednesday”

Rich privilege

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #607 on: March 18, 2020, 07:37:12 AM »
“NYC considering shelter in place”

freak me as if the supermarket shelves aren’t barren enough

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #608 on: March 18, 2020, 08:19:21 AM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #609 on: March 18, 2020, 08:23:18 AM »
Are there any signs that this coronavirus will kill itself?

This one has a lower pathogenicity. The lower its virulence, the more likely it’ll become part of an endemic, part of a seasonal event. That’s one of the big things that’s going to be a worry. If it does go quiet over the summer months, then the question’s going to be, “Is it still infecting people?” We could be walking around in the middle of summer with influenza viruses, but they’re not active. They’ve just gone quiet. When the right ecology comes into play, it starts getting cold, and damp, then it starts replicating like crazy. If it’s able to park itself, and not kill its host over the summer months, then we’ve got a virus that has all the telltale signatures of establishing itself as part of our normative landscape, much to our detriment.

Cripes

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #610 on: March 18, 2020, 08:44:18 AM »
WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the “additional key federal decisions” listed among the options for Mr. Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

“Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure,” the plan warned. “This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations.” P.P.E. refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: “State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly.”

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #611 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
I'm at work right now. I just got off the phone with my boss' boss, who reports directly to the president of the company.

He's home. So is everyone on the executive level.

He spoke to the executives yesterday "briefly" and "nothing has changed" in terms of us still coming into the office.

I work at a freaking property management company. We manage freaking apartment communities. I'm a freaking programmer who can literally work from anywhere with an internet connection.

The rich see everyone else as cattle. I wonder if they realize the coronavirus DGAF how much wealth they own?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #612 on: March 18, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »

I'm at work right now. I just got off the phone with my boss' boss, who reports directly to the president of the company.

He spoke to the executives yesterday "briefly" and "nothing has changed" in terms of us still coming into the office.

I work at a freaking property management company. We manage freaking apartment communities. I'm a freaking programmer who can literally work from anywhere with an internet connection.

The rich see everyone else as cattle. I wonder if they realize the coronavirus DGAF how much wealth they own?

There's no good reason for this kind of thing. Can't really add on to this without going off on a tangent which I know you're all probably tired of.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #613 on: March 18, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »

What absolute horseshit.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #614 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:47 AM »
Interesting article definitely worth the read :

http://m.nautil.us/issue/83/intelligence/the-man-who-saw-the-pandemic-coming?utm_source=pocket-newtab
“You know that old saw that if you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will leap out. But if you take that same frog and put it in a pot of ambient water and slowly crank up the temperature, it will stay in that water and boil to death. It loses perspective on the changing environment around it. We’re that frog in the ambient water. We’re oblivious to the conditions that have enabled zoonotic viruses to become integrated into us.”

Frightening and direct answers that really neither surprise me or strike me as people should be exercising common sense.
That’s a Q&A every official in the world should read.

Tags: