Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358292 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #510 on: March 16, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
The retirement thing is complicated though. Some of it is ignorance (people knowing nothing about the stock market and refusing to touch it) other is laziness.

I know countless people my age who make 70-110k a year, and haven't put a freaking dime away for retirement. Yet have 10s of thousands in credit card debt. I don't know how that's possible, but at least the people I know making that isn't because of life hardships. It's because they're freaking idiots.

I've become much more ammendable to the government lending its teet to the ordinary people in my older age. But I'm also a staunch believer that the majority of time people are their own biggest obstacle in life

I know countless people my age who make that and a lot more who haven't put a dime away for retirement. I have, but I'm still woefully underserved. I'll deal with that, it's on me.

The problem is that we have built a society in which vast swathes of the population work two or three jobs in order to cover the basic necessities. They don't have savings and it's not because they're irresponsible. This has been a huge problem for a while; in a month's time it's going to be a very different one. Badger's suggestion of widespread freezes on rent and mortgage payments and utility bills and evictions and everything else is a good start, but it doesn't fix the short term problem completely or the long term one at all.

Society is broken. In basic economic terms, the hoarding of resources is a massive inefficiency and one that, one way or the other, needs to be fixed. Better to do it in a controlled fashion, because the alternative is way worse.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #511 on: March 16, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »
I know countless people my age who make that and a lot more who haven't put a dime away for retirement. I have, but I'm still woefully underserved. I'll deal with that, it's on me.

The problem is that we have built a society in which vast swathes of the population work two or three jobs in order to cover the basic necessities. They don't have savings and it's not because they're irresponsible. This has been a huge problem for a while; in a month's time it's going to be a very different one. Badger's suggestion of widespread freezes on rent and mortgage payments and utility bills and evictions and everything else is a good start, but it doesn't fix the short term problem completely or the long term one at all.

Society is broken. In basic economic terms, the hoarding of resources is a massive inefficiency and one that, one way or the other, needs to be fixed. Better to do it in a controlled fashion, because the alternative is way worse.

I don't know how you can widespread freeze rent.

You're literally saying hey sure I'll help you out to someone in need. I get it. But what about the person who owns the property? Not everyone who rents out property is a billionaire slumlord

They still have their bills to pay, and they're not going away. Utility bills and some kind of government support for rent/lack of income is fine. Hell I'd support the government "stimulus" support bullshit where they effectively hand everyone x amount of cash to get by. (giving people some extra money to get through hard times)

I don't have the answers, if I did I'd make a helluva lot more money.i just know it's easy to throw out utopian ideas, and to point out how shitty things are. But harder to solve them.

Who knows, I guess in recent times I've learned we all spend way too much time arguing like a bunch of cunts. While coronavirus as a disease might not personally effect us. I hope this whole thing ends up being a wakeup call for people to stop being such miserable cunts and enjoy life. Who knows

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #512 on: March 16, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
I don't know how you can widespread freeze rent.

You're literally saying hey sure I'll help you out to someone in need. I get it. But what about the person who owns the property? Not everyone who rents out property is a billionaire slumlord

They still have their bills to pay, and they're not going away. Utility bills and some kind of government support for rent/lack of income is fine. Hell I'd support the government "stimulus" support bullshit where they effectively hand everyone x amount of cash to get by. (giving people some extra money to get through hard times)

I don't have the answers, if I did I'd make a helluva lot more money.i just know it's easy to throw out utopian ideas, and to point out how shitty things are. But harder to solve them.

Who knows, I guess in recent times I've learned we all spend way too much time arguing like a bunch of cunts. While coronavirus as a disease might not personally effect us. I hope this whole thing ends up being a wakeup call for people to stop being such miserable cunts and enjoy life. Who knows

You're right. It requires us literally to press a pause button the entire economy. We can tell the landlords to stop charging rent and the banks to stop charging for mortgages and the utilities to stop charging for electricity and gas, but even that doesn't work because we still need to buy consumable essentials like food and you can't tell the grocery stores to give away their product for free, and if they're getting paid then the farmers need to as well, and if they're getting paid then it's reasonable that the banks would want to ask for the repayments they owe, and now we've got a messed up two tier society that's not really functional.

Part of the answer might be UBI. I don't think it's the entire answer because for UBI to work it needs a system that doesn't just allow the housing and rental markets to add the UBI amount on to the existing rental prices and thus render it pointless. We need root and branch reform of how our society works.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #513 on: March 16, 2020, 08:41:33 PM »
I think UBI is a good answer for what is going on. This economy is about to be fucked. And 80% of people don't give a excrement about the stock market - they just want to be able to afford food and rent.

I was at a bar in LA two weeks ago and the bartender was talking with someone on how they are slow the first week of every month because people have no money because they just paid rent.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #514 on: March 16, 2020, 10:12:11 PM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #515 on: March 16, 2020, 10:15:52 PM »

Less than a week since the NHL suspended its season because of the coronavirus pandemic, and one day after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced its advising there should be no events consisting of 50 or more people for eight weeks, it seems the NHL is approaching the situation with a more realistic timeline.

The NHL put out an edict saying "effective immediately players can opt to return home (outside of the club's home city), including outside of North America, to the extent flights are available."

Players must stay in self-quarantine until after March 27, and after that date depending on world "developments" team facilities could re-open.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #516 on: March 16, 2020, 10:23:28 PM »
I think UBI is a good answer for what is going on. This economy is about to be fucked. And 80% of people don't give a excrement about the stock market - they just want to be able to afford food and rent.

I was at a bar in LA two weeks ago and the bartender was talking with someone on how they are slow the first week of every month because people have no money because they just paid rent.

And after going to the bar the next few weeks they have no money at the start of the next month.

Odd how that happens

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #517 on: March 16, 2020, 10:28:42 PM »
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York has at least three patients and five staff members that have been diagnosed with the coronavirus. The hospital has a one-week supply of masks.

Buzzfeed News

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #518 on: March 16, 2020, 10:32:14 PM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #519 on: March 16, 2020, 10:34:21 PM »
Only a few will suffer from Coronavirus but EVERYONE will suffer from the current Economic effect of the reaction to the Virus.

Joey Salads

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #520 on: March 16, 2020, 10:38:24 PM »
Except that if everyone observes this then a lot of businesses are going to cease operations very quickly. It is possible to exercise good hygiene practices and observe sensible caution while still living a (mostly) normal life, and it's kind of important that we do that.

If you want to hunker down in a fort made of toilet rolls with your shotgun and a lifetime supply of canned beans then no one's going to stop you, but for most of the rest of the world life needs to go on.

Did you completely forget that take out, delivery, and gift certificates exist?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #521 on: March 16, 2020, 11:16:30 PM »
Did you completely forget that take out, delivery, and gift certificates exist?

I can't tell if you meant this sarcastically or facetiously. But you're still talking about immense challenges with staffing, supply chains, changes in tourism/travel, expenses, changes in business model all having tremendous unpredictability.

Sure it's absolutely possible to be creative and innovative and have your business be more successful. But considering how many restaurants fail under ideal economic conditions, it's hard to call this anything other than probably the most devastating (economically) thing to ever happen to the food service industry.

Of course between interest rates and the amount of places going under. (which will be available to purchase dirt cheap and mean far less competition) I think sometime this summer might be the best time ever to open a restaurant
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:20:19 PM by dcm1602 »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #522 on: March 16, 2020, 11:35:24 PM »
You guys have this narrative of me being a massive Republican while I’ve never voted republican in my life. Last three presidential votes were Jill Stein and Obama x2. Local and state government I generally go Democratic. I understand my off color remarks make me out to be an poopchute but anyone that knows me will vouch for me.

You have been to the tailgate's, that is every single one of us here. We're all assholes here, real life not so much. Well except Heismanberg, he's an poopchute, or MBGreen, he's an poopchute too, or Bo he's an poopchute or Je, SFD, LJF, Badger, ...............nevermind
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #524 on: March 17, 2020, 08:07:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/jwdaddy80/status/1239704150826348544?s=21

Sounds like fun

I read through that entire thread earlier this morning.  As a T1D, i'm a tad nervous.

Good thing everyone is having fun at the beach in Florida.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: