Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357428 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #480 on: March 16, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
The UK only realised "in the last few days" that attempts to "mitigate" the impact of the coronavirus pandemic would not work, and that it needed to shift to a strategy to "suppress" the outbreak, according to a report by a team of experts who have been advising the government.

The report, published by the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team on Monday night, found that the strategy previously being pursued by the government — dubbed "mitigation" and involving home isolation of suspect cases and their family members but not including restrictions on wider society — would "likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over".

The mitigation strategy "focuses on slowing but not necessarily stopping epidemic spread — reducing peak healthcare demand while protecting those most at risk of severe disease from infection", the report said, reflecting the UK strategy that was outlined last week by Boris Johnson and the chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallance.

But the approach was found to be unworkable. "Our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over," perhaps by as much as eight times, the report said.

In this scenario, the Imperial College team predicted as many as 250,000 deaths in Britain.

"In the UK, this conclusion has only been reached in the last few days," the report explained, due to new data on likely intensive care unit demand based on the experience of Italy and Britain so far.

"We were expecting herd immunity to build. We now realise it’s not possible to cope with that," professor Azra Ghani, chair of infectious diseases epidemiology at Imperial, told journalists at a briefing on Monday night.

I feel like I’m reading the plot of the same bad movie over and over again
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #481 on: March 16, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »
The craziest part of all this is that I find myself agreeing with JE

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #482 on: March 16, 2020, 06:11:49 PM »
The craziest part of all this is that I find myself agreeing with JE

They're closing bars and restaurants as of midnight tonight in Ontario. We just went to our local for a last pint until who knows when, the staff don't know when they're getting their next paycheck. If this goes on for long the economic impact will destroy far more lives than the virus.

I wonder if someone can explain why everyone's having to do this isolation thing, instead of just the at risk section of the population? Why can't we have a hygienic service doing groceries and errands and excrement for those people at risk, and let the world just get sick and then move on with our lives?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #483 on: March 16, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
They're closing bars and restaurants as of midnight tonight in Ontario. We just went to our local for a last pint until who knows when, the staff don't know when they're getting their next paycheck. If this goes on for long the economic impact will destroy far more lives than the virus.

I wonder if someone can explain why everyone's having to do this isolation thing, instead of just the at risk section of the population? Why can't we have a hygienic service doing groceries and errands and excrement for those people at risk, and let the world just get sick and then move on with our lives?
Because you can’t be trusted
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #484 on: March 16, 2020, 06:14:09 PM »

It’s going to be much more fun fending off someone holding a pistol to my forehead for a roll of toilet paper than it will be fighting a fever for 2 days

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #485 on: March 16, 2020, 06:15:07 PM »

Never try to reason with the unreasonable.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #486 on: March 16, 2020, 06:17:52 PM »
It’s going to be much more fun fending off someone holding a pistol to my forehead for a roll of toilet paper than it will be fighting a fever for 2 days

Nobody cares about your well being, shithead

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #487 on: March 16, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »
Dow Jones dropped 3000 points today after feds pulled their last move to try to pump the economy

No big deal

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2020, 06:22:55 PM »
Never try to reason with the unreasonable.

I genuinely don't know the answer to that, I'm not trying to be unreasonable here. (Actually I suspect I do but people don't like it.) I feel like at some point we're facing the age old hypothetical ethics dilemma of the driver of the car with the failed brakes having to decide between hitting the stroller or the group of elderly people. I would love to hear that there's a run off lane not being mentioned because right now we're definitely not steering towards it.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2020, 06:24:15 PM »
Dow Jones dropped 3000 points today after feds pulled their last move to try to pump the economy

No big deal

Actually isn't, couldn't give a excrement about the Dow. Fortune 1000 companies aren't laying people off because their stock plummeted.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #490 on: March 16, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »
I genuinely don't know the answer to that, I'm not trying to be unreasonable here. (Actually I suspect I do but people don't like it.) I feel like at some point we're facing the age old hypothetical ethics dilemma of the driver of the car with the failed brakes having to decide between hitting the stroller or the group of elderly people. I would love to hear that there's a run off lane not being mentioned because right now we're definitely not steering towards it.

Your strategy the other day was ignore it and it goes away. Now you want to play God?

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
Btw that’s exactly what they’re doing in Italy right now. Pay attention

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #492 on: March 16, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
Actually isn't, couldn't give a excrement about the Dow. Fortune 1000 companies aren't laying people off because their stock plummeted.
What do you think happened with a lot of people’s 401k’s? Retirement? Market has lost a third of its value in three weeks

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
No, I'm telling you to never try to reason with unreasonable people.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2020, 06:31:52 PM »
What do you think happened with a lot of people’s 401k’s? Retirement? Market has lost a third of its value in three weeks
That only matters if you are near retirement, and if you are you shouldn't be anywhere near 100% invested in equities. Everyone else has plenty of time to recover and an excellent opportunity to buy low along the way.

Tags: