Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357369 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #450 on: March 16, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
Breaking: Gov. Lamont announced Monday that he will order the closure of Connecticut restaurants and bars in an effort to slow the spread of #COVID19
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #451 on: March 16, 2020, 09:44:46 AM »
Dcm is wrong that it’s young people’s fault or whatever, and you’re wrong on your theory that they’re going out to spite boomers or whatever. Just pointing that out. The people out at the bars or spring break or Disneyworld care more about their own personal satisfaction/enjoyment than the well being of others. They certainly don’t know what a social contract is

Which is entirely the freaking point, they don't care about the wellbeing of others because those others have made it clear that no one has their interests at heart.

Turn it round, let's say there was a virus that represented a significant risk to 20somethings but was medically insignificant for the older generation. You think they're bringing the world to a stop to protect those at risk young people?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #452 on: March 16, 2020, 09:45:10 AM »
You don’t really have a point other than intentionally being an poopchute

No, you just don't understand it.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #453 on: March 16, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »
Which is entirely the freaking point, they don't care about the wellbeing of others because those others have made it clear that no one has their interests at heart.

Turn it round, let's say there was a virus that represented a significant risk to 20somethings but was medically insignificant for the older generation. You think they're bringing the world to a stop to protect those at risk young people?

What? Yes you freaking assclown

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #454 on: March 16, 2020, 09:46:45 AM »
What? Yes you freaking assclown

LOL, you're either naive or ignorant. I refer you back to IATA's post and invite you to think about what he means by "thoughts and prayers".

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #455 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
LOL, you're either naive or ignorant. I refer you back to IATA's post and invite you to think about what he means by "thoughts and prayers".

Most of those young people have parents that actually care about their well being. You truly have no grip on reality.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #456 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:44 AM »
Most of those young people have parents that actually care about their well being. You truly have no grip on reality.

Again, I invite you to go and understand social contract theory before you keep trying to make specious arguments.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #457 on: March 16, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
things like reasonably affordable housing, a valued career as a result of an affordable education, and later life security are all things that they are not entitled to in the way that their ancestors were
Um wut?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #458 on: March 16, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »
Um wut?
I agree.  Maybe I took this out of context, but I'm not aware any generation being ENTITLED to affordable housing, affordable education and a valued career.  They are entitled to be able to pursue it.  Maybe that day will come, and it should, but that isn't current reality, at least here in the US.

Maybe we have different definitions of the word entitled.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #459 on: March 16, 2020, 11:27:31 AM »
Um wut?

Which bit do you disagree with?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #460 on: March 16, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
Which bit do you disagree with?
Who was entitled to what?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #461 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
I agree.  Maybe I took this out of context, but I'm not aware any generation being ENTITLED to affordable housing, affordable education and a valued career.  They are entitled to be able to pursue it.  Maybe that day will come, and it should, but that isn't reality.

Maybe we have different definitions of the word entitled.

It's a word that seems to be loaded differently in the US, but sure. Our parents lived in a time when buying a home was a de facto option if you had a full time job, when having a full time job was a de facto option if you had an education, when having an education didn't require you to be saddled with eyewatering levels of debt, and when retirement with a comfortable pension and your own home was the de facto end to a lifetime of working.

This generation have been sold a pup by their grandparents' and to some extent their parents' generation. I shouldn't need to link anyone to the stats on the expansion of wealth inequality over the last fifty years. It's hard to blame them for not giving much of a freak when that generation needs their help.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #462 on: March 16, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
It's a word that seems to be loaded differently in the US, but sure. Our parents lived in a time when buying a home was a de facto option if you had a full time job, when having a full time job was a de facto option if you had an education, when having an education didn't require you to be saddled with eyewatering levels of debt, and when retirement with a comfortable pension and your own home was the de facto end to a lifetime of working.

This generation have been sold a pup by their grandparents' and to some extent their parents' generation. I shouldn't need to link anyone to the stats on the expansion of wealth inequality over the last fifty years. It's hard to blame them for not giving much of a freak when that generation needs their help.
Ok. This is a little bit better explained than what I read earlier. No one is entitled to anything, I certainly wasn’t, older generations went through excrement I probably couldn’t comprehend and, most importantly, no one forces anyone to rack up debt going to school. Maybe Bobby and his 2.5 GPA should go to a trade school instead of going to some overpriced State College. The world will always need mechanics, Electrictrians, plumbers, etc.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #463 on: March 16, 2020, 11:43:03 AM »
I’ve heard that July is the earliest being discussed right now. And a real possibility of no fans for the remainder of the season.

Trevor Plouffe

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #464 on: March 16, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »
Ok. This is a little bit better explained than what I read earlier. No one is entitled to anything, I certainly wasn’t, older generations went through excrement I probably couldn’t comprehend and, most importantly, no one forces anyone to rack up debt going to school. Maybe Bobby and his 2.5 GPA should go to a trade school instead of going to some overpriced State College. The world will always need mechanics, Electrictrians, plumbers, etc.

OK, but they're also the generation was told that they can be anything they want to be and the world is their oyster if they just work hard and to follow their dreams, and then when they did and came out the other end with a huge great freaking debt and sod all in the way of options we laughed at them and said "what the freak did you expect from your poncey liberal arts degree? Go and make my coffee and drive my Uber while I pull this ladder up a little more." They're the generation who went through school doing active shooter drills while the older generation on the news networks and in the halls of power said "this is terrible, really nothing we can do about it, thoughts and prayers".

I can't imagine how hard it must be to part of that generation, by comparison we had a golden era. It's not surprising to me if large amounts of them don't give much of a excrement about us and those older than us, it's more surprising that so many of them do.

Tags: